When the joke is not the funniest part

Guitharley

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
Just recently told this story to a friend ,,,thought I would share here

Years ago I made a career job move to a another company...I was part of a 3 man satellite office for the company.
The other 2 dudes where wonderful people but with absolutely no sense of humour at all...I would spit out some funny stuff only to be blankly stared at.
This was something I was not used to as my coworkers previously shared much the same humour as I.

So my joke to the new boys

There was a guy who was the worlds biggest BB King fan....his wife for every birthday, anniversary or special occasion would find him a new album or some sort of BB paraphernalia. But alas she was running out of ideas as he had so much BB King stuff.
Her husband had a big birthday coming up and she was lost as to what to get him...then it hit her....she went down to the local tattoo parlour and said I want a large capital B tattooed on one of my butt cheeks and big Capitol B tattooed on my other Butt cheek... so he did.
The birthday came and her husband was out so she prepared for his return...when he walked in the front door she yelled happy birthday honey turned around bent over and flipped up her skirt....the somewhat shocked husband stared at her backside for a minute and said who the heck is BoB.......

so now the funniest part.....my 2 new coworkers both are blankly staring at me then suddenly one of them, his eyes get real big with a shocked look on his face and says......."oh no, the guy spelt it wrong?

My soul died a little that day...but then I realized I can use this as an add on every time I tell this joke...I kinda miss those guys...just not on punchline Thursdays

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I don't get it 😐

Is there possibly some part of the human anatomy that when viewed from the circumstance described in the joke looks like the letter “o” ? Apologies if I’m being Capt. Obvious here…

…and @Guitharley ? Don’t quit your day job, a joke that requires such a convoluted set up isn’t always worth the effort. But you’re right, the deadpan response of the humorless is funnier than the joke.

4 Cat Slim

Poster Extraordinaire
Something sort of similar here.
I worked in advertising and the customer was launching a store that purported to
have everything you need at a low price and knowledgeable friendly staff to help you.
A full-page newspaper ad (remember those?) was dummied up for presentation to the decision-maker. Three quarters of the page featured a caricature of Albert Einstein, the heading read something to the effect of, "You don't have to be as smart as this guy to shop with us".
The decision maker loved it. His only suggestion? "Give the guy in the drawing a different haircut".
As they said in This Is Spinal Tap, there's a fine line between clever and stupid.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
My brother-in-law when someone would tell a joke would respond with a dead pan stare and say, yeah.

Personally, I don't find most jokes funny. They've for the most part all been told at one time or another. Anything you hear is a re-run. I don't think I was in the first grade the first time I heard the joke about the woman, the tattoos and old BoB. I know for sure by the time I had made to the fourth grade I had heard that joke at least a dozen times though.

Guitharley

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
The proper joke involves a lady getting tattooed on each inner thigh and the punchline being "I don't know those two guys, but the gent the middle is Willie Nelson".
So in this case my old coworkers would probably say something like..."so she got 3 tattoos then, is that what your saying?
God love them but they could really ruin a good joke

Guitharley

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
My brother-in-law when someone would tell a joke would respond with a dead pan stare and say, yeah.

Personally, I don't find most jokes funny. They've for the most part all been told at one time or another. Anything you hear is a re-run. I don't think I was in the first grade the first time I heard the joke about the woman, the tattoos and old BoB. I know for sure by the time I had made to the fourth grade I had heard that joke at least a dozen times though.
I hear ya on the rerun thing...when someone tells a joke I always laugh along and when my wife says "have you heard that one before"...I always say of course I have Ive never heard a joke I haven't heard before.
That being said...I do love to hear a good joke that is told by a good joke teller...the internet has kinda took that art away...everyone just forwards the joke on now...a shame really

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member

Fortunately, most of the folks I tell jokes to aren't nearly as OLD as you are, TD! ;););)

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
a good joke teller makes a difference a lot of times.

Red Skelton cracked me up because he cracked HIMSELF up. Same goes for the Carol Burnett Show cast. The jokes/gags weren't that funny, THEY were funny. Ever see Tim Conways' elephant gag?

Elephants

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Three is always someone like me who hasn't heard it. Despite my brother who knew every joke ever told.

TeleBackelaer

TDPRI Member

Yeah, a lot of the jokes we've already heard before. But when it's a pretty good one, I still laugh. Maybe sometimes out of politeness but most of the times just because I forgot I knew about it and a good one just makes me chuckle again.
We're reminded on a daily basis of all things miserable, I'll take any chance to have a laugh.

I also feel sorry for OP's former colleagues. Must be a real lack of imagination or a very strict upbringing.