when the drummer doesn't listen.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnny k, Aug 3, 2020.

1. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

Clearly the guy made a mistake, and had a bit of fun to make it sound like it was done on purpose.

I played with a drummer who really didn't care what was going on, just fills after fills after fills, no matter what. Some can be busy and it sounds good, our drummer wasn't.

2. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I played with a drummer once who couldn't be told because he wrote a timpani solo for his senior year in high school.

"Yeah, yeah I know how it goes, I wrote a timpani solo you know."

3. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

If the doesn't sound good, the band doesn't sound good.

4. Thoughtfree

Thoughtfree Tele-Meister

The drummer is the most important member of the band, by far.

Followed by the singer.

Guitar player can be mediocre. Drummer, never.

Maguchi, Jim W, MickM and 21 others like this.
  5. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Your band is only as good as it's weakest member.

6. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Listening is not as common a skill as you might assume among those who own or play musical instruments. Context is everything. The music can only inform the player who listens.

drmordo, Matt G, Maguchi and 7 others like this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

I played guitar and sang in one particular church for 12 years.
    The drummer was an awesome older dude from Turkey who had emigrated here in the ‘60’s.
    He was a very accomplished jazz drummer. To say he was a bit stifled playing church tunes would be an understatement.
    The soundman eventually rigged me a separate microphone that only went to his monitor that would allow me to give him direction such as; “laid-back here”, “not so much here”, “slow it down a little bit”, etc.
    He was a good dude who just wanted to play.

8. talldoug3

talldoug3 TDPRI Member

As a drummer, I have to say that far too often we are considered fair game for “do this, do that, more here, less here.” Way more than other members of the band.

I could never stop a song and say to my guitar player, “Nope, let’s have a 2 chord there, then the turnaround,” or “hey bass guy, use your thumb for the mid section, then switch to a pick for the chorus.”

I understand that drums form a skeleton that the music can hang on, but we are also contributing to the overall expression.

Check this out (and imagine if the drummer had been told to just keep a steady jazz wash on the ride cymbal). Bonus, fabulous pink telecaster:

eddnix, jman72, koula and 16 others like this.
  9. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

In a sense that's true, but if you have a weak guitarist, but a great drummer, your band will sound much better. If you have a great guitarist, but a weak drummer, your band will suck.

When I form a band, I always line up a drummer first. And if I can't get one of the three or four I trust, I rethink the band.

Matt G, Maguchi, DonM and 3 others like this.
  10. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I always ask drummers if they've been in Drum Corp. Those dudes know their rudiments and often make the best time keepers.
    It's not a make or break issue, but I've had good luck in the past.

11. aadvark

aadvark Tele-Meister

Let me right here, as a professional bass player for all my performing career, put in a vote for all the great drummers out there. I was fortunate almost always to play with great drummers... several of whom were good at making broader musical suggestions... some of which I even took up! :)

I love drummers, especially those with ears, imagination, musicality and lastly, technical chops... the better players also know how to get more with less... imho.

I agree the all band members need to contribute for the ensemble to float on air - which is what happens when its good - but I do know that no matter how good the rest of us are, if the drummer isn't switched on, things will feel bad.

Listening, good material, good arrangements, good sound, a good room, a good audience and feeling each other in an ensemble situation is critical, ain't it!

finally, I guess you already know the difference between a drummer and a drum machine???

(you only have to punch the information into a drum machine once - sorry, feel free to wheel out the bass player, singer, guitarist jokes in retaliation!)

PS LOL at the original post!

12. talldoug3

talldoug3 TDPRI Member

“no matter how good the rest of us are, if the drummer isn't switched on, things will feel bad.”

I guess that’s true. Maybe I just can’t hack the pressure to rock the house without cracking the foundation.

aadvark and johnny k like this.
  13. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Excellent performance.....all I will say is, "appropriate" to the song.
    What I think some are criticizing is a drummer that (perhaps) is lacking in "musical" perception. Too many drummers (AND bassists, guitarists, singers, etc.) lack subtlety and finesse. Some even play all over the song to the point that the song is "lost". I don't want to play with Keith Moon for four hours every night. Probably my ideal drummer is Abe Laboriel, Jr. He is capable of almost ANYTHING....but often simply keeps accurate time, and on a "minimalist kit". He's a drummer who is a musician first.

Auherre756, Jakedog, Lawdawg and 2 others like this.
  14. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Afflicted

Nothing better than a good drummer.

Nothing worse than a bad drummer.

15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

I played with a drummer who played the four on the floor beat to every fast song...the dance floor stayed packed.

16. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Often drummers are in their own world and many insist on titty boom boom ending after everyone else has played the final chord or note. Those guys I have to give the boot.

nojazzhere, Bassman8 and johnny k like this.
  17. Thebluesman

Thebluesman Tele-Meister

The band relies 1000% upon the drums.It cannot be ignored nor masked!the drums musically 'glues' the other instruments together.

Maguchi and johnny k like this.
  18. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Please.... don't get me going on drummers......... :mad:

nojazzhere and johnny k like this.
  19. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

drummers have got to stay behind the vocals, just like the other instruments. I don't do deedly weedly when the singer is singing. Should be the same for everyone, but maybe i am old fashionned.
    And it is often that drummers have a cool intro to play, or fills during breaks. When it is their turn to shine, let them shine.

Maguchi and MonkeyJefferson like this.
  20. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

There are 2 kinds of band: the ones where a good drummer makes the whole band sound good, and the ones where the band spends all its time trying to make a bad drummer sound good.

Apropos of nothing, the two best musicians I ever worked with were drummers.

Good drummers are rare and special.

Even competent drummers are rare. Unlike competent guitarists. We're like ants.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.