When should I stop being a nice guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Well sadly they won't care. Remember I said in the OP that we have 5 apartments here? Well I obviously live in one, Wanda the Witch resides in one and both the witches mother and son live here too.

Right now I am planning on getting a Po box but I gonna ask witchy poo to pay for it. I'm also going to put a warning label from the post office on the mailbox and lastly talk with the postmaster tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone that pitched an idea and for the general conversation. If you have others, I'm ready to read them.

Whoa! This changes the whole tone of the problem. You, and possibly one other seems to be the only people living in the complex who aren't related. Watch your step, seriously, if they all gang up on you, physically, or with a good story, you'll be the one to suffer. I really would consider moving.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
I should tell you that our mailboxes are attached to the front of the house. 5 of them.
So let me get this straight. She only touches your mail box? Did you speak to your neighbours if they have the same problem?

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
Maybe I should have mentioned the mother and son earlier.

The biggest reason I don't want to move is that I can play my guitars as loud as I like. The son, who lives across from me is paranoid schizophrenic and makes no noise, zero, and hadn't complained or ask me to turn things down. Under my apartment is the witches mom and mom is deaf. It's hard to live in town and find a place where you can play loudly when desired.

Tele-friend

Tele-Afflicted
Nope, she told me she goes through all the mailboxes. Gob smacked I was.
So then I am guessing that your neighbours mail and packages also might have been stolen in the past. Maybe talk to them and you might find a solution together.

Edit: Just read the post about your neighbours. Yeah, you are on your own mate ;)

roeg

Tele-Meister
Given the entire circumstance, just get a PO. box. see how things go. It would alleviate any anxiety you may have about your mail. Small price to pay for a viable loud music venue :cool:.
Do that get on with your life.

Last edited:

Wildcard_35

Tele-Meister
Well sadly they won't care. Remember I said in the OP that we have 5 apartments here? Well I obviously live in one, Wanda the Witch resides in one and both the witches mother and son live here too.

Right now I am planning on getting a Po box but I gonna ask witchy poo to pay for it. I'm also going to put a warning label from the post office on the mailbox and lastly talk with the postmaster tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone that pitched an idea and for the general conversation. If you have others, I'm ready to read them.

If a person is mentally ill and going through your mail, I'm kind of thinking she's not going to be real keen on paying for your PO box. Just shell out the money for it if you can afford it and be done with it.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Option 1: Maybe give her a smile and tell her you guarantee her that you'll check your mailbox every day and as soon as something of hers is mistakenly deposited in your mailbox you'll hand deliver it to her because she's been such a good neighbor. Then offer her a cookie. I'll bet she loves cookies. People like this can get worse the harder you try to "correct" them.

Option 2: Rush on over to her place and tell her, "You're right by golly! It just happened to my mail too. I think it's that guy/gal who lives in that apartment over yonder. Let's both keep an eye out for him."....then give her a cookie.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I agree

I kept my cool. Ya know, she didn't even apologize. Not that I'm surprised.
Man alive, the thought of a troublesome neighbour rifling and nicking my mail....I would not let that go.

Mail a document to yourself, or have a friend mail you one. Leave the mailbox alone for a day or so and see what happens. But get a camera up if you have an angle on the boxes and can catch the old trout wandering across.

Vibroluxer

Tele-Holic
^ this. time to touch base with the landlord. Maybe someone has complained?(about the loud music).
My landlady wouldn't hesitate to tell someone they were causing problems. That would include my guitar playing and so far, I've been here 6yrs, she hasn't mentioned it.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Maybe I should have mentioned the mother and son earlier.

The biggest reason I don't want to move is that I can play my guitars as loud as I like. The son, who lives across from me is paranoid schizophrenic and makes no noise, zero, and hadn't complained or ask me to turn things down. Under my apartment is the witches mom and mom is deaf. It's hard to live in town and find a place where you can play loudly when desired.

I'm wondering: At this very moment, on a forum for wiry haired witches with beards is someone writing complaining about a guy who lives in her apartment complex that plays his guitar so loud she can't ever sleep, night or day? :)

radtz

Tele-Holic
Wire the box to the mains!

Seriously, though: set up a little wifi camera. I wish that affordable tech was around back in the late '90s when a neighbour was snowdropping my GF's clothes off the washing line!

I'd go to the cops and make an official complaint. At least they'll have a record of your approach.
Ew.... you made me google "snowdropping"

radtz

Tele-Holic
From a writer's perspective, I thought your description of the woman was insightful as a storytelling technique. Helped me visualize the scene and give me a better perspective for what you're dealing with.

As for what to do, I feel that the P.O. box solution would be best. It's pretty clear that this woman has a toxic personality and perhaps more serious pathological tendencies. After you confronted her about stealing mail, anything you do with regard to altering your mailbox will likely be viewed by her as an attack upon her. My guess is that she would then be bent on retaliation, and since she has been an annoyance to you in the past this would likely recur and escalate. You already know she's willing to unrepentantly break the law, who can say what else she's capable of doing. Getting a P.O. box is something you can do without her knowledge, and consequently without provoking her which is probably best for you.
Also, we need it to get the witch references.

Status
Not open for further replies.