When Less Known Major Band Members Contribute A Killer Song.

arlum

Friend of Leo's
Platinum Supporter
I've noted than sometimes a song that's really special comes out of a band member not normally associated with a particular bands songwriter(s) material. Do you have any examples? For me ........

From the band Styx. From the original member that was replaced by Tommy Shaw. "A Day" written and lead vocals provided by John Curulewski.

From the band The Beatles. Who would have thought? "Octopus's Garden" written and lead vocals provided by Ringo Starr.

From the band The Moody Blues. From their keyboard player. "Melancholy Man" written and lead vocals provided by Mike Pinder. https://www.youtube.com/wMelancoly Manatch?v=mQER0A0ej0M

From the band The Who. Although considered one of the best bassists ever I just never dreamed. "My Wife" written and lead vocals provided by John Entwistle. https://www.youtube.com/wMelancoly Manatch?v=mQER0A0ej0M

From the original The Alice Cooper Band. Although most of their material was credited to multiple members X Bob Ezrin one of my very very favorite The Alice Cooper Bands songs was credited strictly to their rhythm player. Michael Bruce. https://www.youtube.com/wMelancoly Manatch?v=mQER0A0ej0M

I just think it's so freakin' cool when a lesser known or sometimes "shadow talent" within a famous band provides astounding material. The internet raves about the songs but sometimes doesn't point out and give credit to the true talented source who provided the material. It's not always Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, etc. etc.

I'm a song writer and this is a thread about giving credit where credit is do. Do you know of bands using material from one of their own band members not normally considered as a source of their songwriting?

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
John Deacon of Queen began " Another One Bites The Dust"
Deacon wrote two of Queen’s biggest chart hits, Another One Bites The Dust and You’re My Best Friend, and also Spread Your Wings, which was a minor hit in the UK at least.
Almost every Queen album has at least one great song from Deacon or Taylor: two favourites from Roger Taylor are Drowse and Loser In The End. And of course he wrote another of their signature songs, Radio GaGa.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
How about a beautiful ballad from The Beach Boys that Brian Wilson didn't write, but instead was written by his brother Dennis?

As a Beach Boys fan who continued to buy their albums after them moved from Capitol to Warner/Reprise, I can tell you that there are several Dennis Wilson songs that were really good.
Deacon wrote two of Queen’s biggest chart hits, Another One Bites The Dust and You’re My Best Friend, and also Spread Your Wings, which was a minor hit in the UK at least.
Almost every Queen album has at least one great song from Deacon or Taylor: two favourites from Roger Taylor are Drowse and Loser In The End. And of course he wrote another of their signature songs, Radio GaGa.
That last one is the source of Stephanie Germanotta's stage name.

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
Perry Baggs (RIP), drummer for Jason and the Scorchers, wrote “White Lies”

Wow. I did not know that. I really love that song. Greatest guitar tone I've ever heard. Strange that you say such a kick ass guitar song was written not by the guitarists, but by the drummer.

Moonraker5

Tele-Holic
"Hotel California" - written by the fifth guitarist in the band.

Seriously, doesn't "Hotel California" end this thread? Nothing is going to beat that answer. Obscure member comes up with one of rock's most iconic tunes. (Yeah, I know the drummer wrote the lyrics, but the song is the music.)

nickmm

Tele-Holic
"Hotel California" - written by the fifth guitarist in the band.

Seriously, doesn't "Hotel California" end this thread? Nothing is going to beat that answer. Obscure member comes up with one of rock's most iconic tunes. (Yeah, I know the drummer wrote the lyrics, but the song is the music.)
Boys of Summer Mike Campbell ?