When is my report due to my boss?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Bluesboy3, May 14, 2020.

1. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I am a manager.

2. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

It should be on his desk when he walks in Thursday morning. Procrastination is a sign of intellectual weakness.

wrvond, 8trackmind, Toto'sDad and 2 others like this.
  3. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

That information does not change my statement, based on your original post.

Chuckster likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I agree....it's a trick question. If he expected it before noon on Thursday, he should say "on Thursday before noon". When one says, "....BY Thursday morning", it means PRIOR to Thursday start of business.
    This is not to say the boss even understands the English language or its proper usage. He's the "boss" right?.....by definition he's an idiot. ;)

Bluesboy3 likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Since he's your boss, he's assuming you'll have sense enough to know what he's talking about. :D Then again you've spent all your time worrying about table manners...:lol::lol::lol:

nojazzhere and Bluesboy3 like this.
  6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

It needs to be there by normal start time on Thursday.

In other words, send one minute before normal start time on Thursday.

7. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Is it done yet?

8. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Did you really mean to say "intellectual" there?

It's a big problem, to be sure...but not one of intellect. It's psychological.

9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Your report is always due to your boss.

just like lung cancer is generally due to smoking cigarettes.

no boss ?

no report.

think about that and get back to me

whenever’s good for you...

10. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

What is this Thursday thing you speak of? I have some distant memory of some way of dividing up time, I think it’s related to that, but it’s been so long.

11. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

In that vague timeframe between Close of Business Wednesday and Start of Business Thursday. You can pick any of the 15 hours in between to email it to him. Unless you are in a law firm, in which case you should probably have it done before 5 am Thursday (you only have 12 hours to choose from).

You know what they say in a law firm when you show up at 8 am sharp... "good afternoon"

12. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

:D... you know what? You are absolutely correct, my friend! It is time, but this pandemic has me trapped. Lucky to be working at all.

SonicMustang likes this.
  13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

managing lots of people (or even a few people) has complications. You have things that have to be done so that you are satisfying the expectations for your division, you want to be humane with your folks even with the pressure you have (and you are a buffer from those expectations and demands, you MANAGE all the information and resources and work as a buss to protect your team and your management from the noise created by the interaction of resource and demand.

Which is to say, you are directing the person to make the report a priority to be done by the time your boss arrives in the office, but you don't want to cause undo demand on the worker and you are willing for it to be a little bit tardy of first thing, but, know it needs to get done pronto.

When I see work threads here, I'm kind of shocked by how awful so many work environments are... I've been lucky my working career to work with mostly great people in mostly fantastic organizations. I've made my share of mistakes as I learned to manage people, but for the most part, I have loved even the tough times because the teams I had got stronger as pressure mounted.

If I say, 'hey, I kind of need this thursday morning' my folks know that I'm probably under tremendous pressure to have it even before that, but that I'm blocking for them because I know what it will take to accomplish.

Example--> with Covid, we had a building manager who wanted his annunciation system set a specific way (we essentially locked down all buildings 24 hours a day when the pandemic started and everyone was home.) He made the request on a thursday for it to happen on friday.

I manage the manager who manages the group responsible for that. I took them on about a year ago and have been working through lots of issues with their group. We are planning to modernize the annunciation system in the next year, but currently, they have to physically go to a building and then log in to each panel to make the change. It is a pain. I just had them go to each site and lock them down...

I knew for sure that they could do it in 2 days if nothing negative happened. I wrote the building manager back and informed him it would be two days later than his request. He was good with it. I told the truth, my team saw that I gave them the time they needed to do it right. One of the guys texted and asked if it was okay if he came in on sunday to get it done early and I said, 'sure, put in for OT and I'll pay it.' The outcome was totally positive.

I didn't even have to ask for them to work over or to hurry up or any of that. They understood that we are all trying to do our best for all involved and, in his case, a little OT will help out as his wife lost her job.

Our mantra is if everyone can't win, we aren't thinking about things the right way.... there is a path for people to take care of each other and it leads to MORE productivity and more profit and happier people. I've seen it.

Ricky D. likes this.
  14. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

When I get that sort of message from my boss, I ask if I am unclear. For some bosses, Thur morn meant by noon (particularly if they tended and or I tended to have a lot of meetings on that morning of the week). For others it would be when I get in. For one, it was 10:00 am, because that was when he began looking at that sort of thing. But then, I had good enough relationships with (most of) my bosses that they would not be overly annoyed at the question.

For folks that worked for me, I gave (or tried to give, no one is perfect) more specific instructions. Thur noon, Wed end of business, at 2:00 pm.

getbent likes this.
  15. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Just checking again: Is it done yet?

aging_rocker and Torren61 like this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ask him if he knew that Thursday is named after Thor, which would be Thor's day. And Wednesday is named after Oden which would make it Oden's day. Ask him if he knows that today is my wine day. To be fair, he probably doesn't know any of those amazing facts and any day can be my wine day as long as I have wine. So there's that.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

Between 9:30 and 10:30.

Earlier, you're an ass-kiss.

Later, you forgot about it.

18. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

You do not have a job. We know this.

19. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

He is clearly asking to have it when he walks in the door Thursday. "By" means "before". There's nothing ambiguous about it. If his deadline was anytime Thursday morning, he could have said Thursday noon.

Think about this. You walk in with it at 11:00AM. He says, "I needed this three hours ago, it's useless now. You really put me on the spot." What will you say?

Brilliant.

There's a "right way of seeing" that you can select for, train for, and inspire when you build an organization. The loyalty and motivation you get back is well worth the sacrifices along the way.

getbent likes this.
  20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

getbent likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.