When is it sarcasm?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hackney, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was supporting a post someone made using sarcasm a while back. I got a warning message from a moderator. I explained what my intent was and apologized. No biggie.

I hate the emoticons, but have had to use them to make my intent clear.

I have to be careful because sarcasm flows from me like exhaled CO2.

2. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

I love sarcasm, I just like to know that it is sarcasm. I like the smiley or the *razz* or anything to know that it's sarcasm. Am I thin skinned? Probably a bit. Not the worst thing I could be but remember, nobody knows what's happened in our lives (except those close to us) to make us who we are. And everybody is *too "something".

3. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

The first forum I ever joined was a fishing/hunting forum. It was a whole bunch of stubborn opinions and a moderators hell. But what I learned there was "It's the internet".
    The only persons opinion anybody has control of is their own and even if I disagree with your opinion I'll defend to the death your right to have it.
    If you're genuinely rude I'll just ignore you.
    If a thread is a flame fest I'll ignore it.
    And misconception of a persons true meaning is often rampant.

I've watched people argue relentlessly and in the end they where both saying practically the same thing.

4. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

By the number of responses I'd say we all seem to have an opinion on this matter. Some may think I'm too thin skinned to even start a thread like this but it's got us all talking about it and that's not a bad thing.

5. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I guess sometimes it's better just to walk away. It's a forum. The bar for civility is already set low because of the medium although it's becoming more that way in public as well IMO.

TDRPI and similar forums should be about fun and shared enthusiasm for the art, craft, hobby, etc of playing guitar.

When it's not fun anymore, let it go for awhile or longer.

6. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

There's a fine line between smartass and rude, and those of us who are lifelong smartasses have been known to cross it unintentionally on occasion.

7. unclefred

unclefred Tele-Meister

Sensitive types and concrete thinkers have an understandable struggle on forums. People come here for fun, and humor and irony just doesn't work if you try to explain it or spell it out.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's the deal-

I say goofy crap. I do not ever go out of my way to offend, pick on, or belittle anybody. Ok, bullies, racists, politicians, and others that pride themselves on their ignorance and basic lack of anything resembling moral character are fair game. I'll verbally dismember those types at the drop of a hat, and I'll ENJOY it. But other than that, no.

I do say goofy stuff. All the time. I'm a smartass. I'm sarcastic. It's who I am. I don't consider it snarky, because it's not meant to be rude or offensive. I'm smiling when I say this stuff, pretty much always.

I sometimes feel badly when I say something goofy, silly, or funny, and it offends somebody. But then I remember, you can't please everybody.

So TDPRI- here's the new forum rule:

If I say something that could be taken two ways, and one of those ways makes you sad, angry, or makes you feel like punching me, you have to assume I meant the other way. It's a rule now, because I said so. So now you have to do it. Unless you're one of those people I mentioned above. Then by all means, go cry about it, you big fat blubbering mama's boy.

I love you all. For real. I'd like buy the TDPRI a coke...

Next.

9. stealyerface

stealyerface Tele-Afflicted

I have said a few times that someone ought to come up with a sarcasm font.

Kind of like italics, but something a bit more profound, and would become universally known as the font of sarcastic, yet good-natured replies.

I'll use this as an example.

Question: "What do ya'll think of my sweet new relic Telecaster? I mean, does this look like 40 years of bars, beers and gigs or what?"

Answer: "Wow, that looks so authentic, you fooled me!!"

I used Italics as that is currently what we have to choose from, but I am thinking something along the lines of a Pristina 14. It is a form of Italics, but a bit more outgoing.

Sarcasm is certainly a learned virtue. Well, good sarcasm anyway.

Eye rolls, look-aways, hand gestures, and tone of voice are very hard to convey within the confines of the typed conversation.

All of these great additions make for excellent sarcasm, and in fact, I am sure there are some Major League Sarcasm League members here, that in person, would make for some great conversations.

However, sometimes those folks' answers leave the rest of the crew to deem them pretentious dou**e bags.

My new sarcasm font would fix that, and allow the user to render a response that is both witty, but understood.

~syf

10. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Comic Sans perhaps?

11. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

TL;DR

On another forum I'm on, they use green font. if there's any opportunity for misinterpretation. It's a car forum so there a lot of smartasses and it's not universally used.

This is a nice place, but someone, a curmudgeon I guess, took offense to me saying that the curmudgeons were not pleased with the superbowl half time. I didn't cite any one person. Jeez.

12. stealyerface

I thought about that one, but there seems to be some sort of secret hatred for the "Comic" font across the lines.

I know that when I read e-Bay listings that someone wrote in the Comic Sans, I wonder to myself as to whether that was done by choice, or that was what the default font was in their Word Program.

In which case, I would refuse to buy the item, just on principle.

I think you are on the right track, but if you check the Pristina Font, and switch the size to 14 pts, and write a sentence, and then insert this Pristina in there, you'll see a very distinct, yet subtle interplay between the default e-mail font and the sarcastic insertion.

~syf

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

What wrong with using good old ... :rolleyes:

14. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Genius!

I LOVE comic sans!!! Has a proper 'a'

15. stealyerface

I saw that conversation, and saw the wisps of smoke beginning to form from that red-hot ember.

You know what? Guess who would be offended by someone inferring that a person could be construed as a curmudgeon?

Uh, a curmudgeon.

~syf

16. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Well yeah. That was, like, the point?

Sarcasm don't need no subtle. See above.

17. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

I see what you did there.

18. Tinman46

Tinman46 Tele-Meister

Thing is there's a couple kinds of sarcastic.
    Jokingly poking fun sarcasm.
    D'bag sarcasm.
    Unintentional misread sarcasm.
    Like others have alluded to sarcasm, in any form, is not always perceived for what it is.

19. stealyerface

Good point

~syf

20. stealyerface

Maybe instead, we just put an asterisk at the end of the sentence, and then a matching footnote.

Example:

"I really liked your idea about making water bottles out of recycled tires. Using a product laden with cancer-causing petroleum, to use as a drinking vessel is brilliant"*

* I was totally being sarcastic. That idea is terrible.

~syf

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.