When is it sarcasm?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hackney, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Y'all. Are. Too. Subtle. :lol:

2. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

3. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

British humor is often quite dry and deadpan, if you're not used to it you might not see it. I watched enough Monty Python in my youth that I usually 'get it'.

4. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

No, I'm sorry. You'll have to speak up.

[​IMG]

5. Reeek

Reeek Tele-Holic

It's important to stay cognizant of ourselves, and try to avoid the "big fish in a little pond" persona...

6. Mike SS

Mike SS Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, here's one "Yank" that can take a ribbing.

7. Frodebro

The few occasions where somebody was irritating enough for me to put them on my 'ignore' list were all short lived-each of those people wound up getting permanently banned shortly afterward, anyway.

So now I'm cautious about how I wield the incredible power of the 'ignore' feature. :lol:

8. mrboson

mrboson Tele-Afflicted

In case anybody is wondering (and of course you all are -- it's in human nature), hackney is referring to a post I authored in a thread titled "Please delete." You won't find it because it was, in fact, deleted by the moderators.

As you might imagine, after the OP changed his or her mind about the topic and first post, lots of snarky folks (me included) took the opportunity to jump on board and post ridiculous material. In fact, the post preceding mine listed some clearly and intentionally sarcastic statements (no smiley was needed to indicate the intended sarcasm). Believe me, taken out of context a few of the statements could offend or start a flame war. Remember, this was in a "Please delete" thread. My post said simply, in addendum to the previous "Don't forget 9's are for wimps."

Taken out of context, sure, I just pissed in someone's coffee and asked "Now whatcha gonna do about it?" Of course, I love my nines on my Special, but that is besides the point I guess. Hackney let me know his coffee didn't taste too good, so I apologized, but I suppose even that apology was snarky, because I prefaced it with something like Dude, its a joke thread, or whatever. At any rate, for the purpose of closure and no hard feelings, I offer another, more sincere, apology for offending anyone who was affected by my focus on string-wise insecurities. Dang it! I just did it again. Stupid internet.

Here's what I've re-learned, guys, then you all can continue with your philosophical discussion on PC. I am funny in real life. It doesn't translate too well into the written form. Talk to my wife, she'll tell ya. I've also re-learned that PC is a real and necessary part of most communication these days because information flows too fast, too fast to put a cork on the bottle before something blows up. I've been here on TDPR since 2011, and I've seen people suspended (Getbent calls it taken' a vacation) for getting all hot and bothered by what someone else posted, probably initially in good fun but possibly in poor taste. I don't want to be partially responsible for someone's unplanned vacation. I'm gonna be Mr PC from now (those are actually my real initials btw). Might mean I have to post less often, though.

9. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted

Clown?

10. Frodebro

Presentation is everything. I have made MANY seemingly off-the-cuff comments that were actually carefully thought out in advance to insure that most people would understand that I wasn't being serious. Toto's Dad is a master of this style of posting, some of his one-liners are pure genius.

11. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Some people are just touchy. It's the Internet get over it. If an unknown poster offends someone because he said they were wimpy they need to get a grip.

12. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

13. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

When people use the term Political Correctness... for me it is code.

It is when a person's intentions don't have the expected result & it is when a person's actions are offensive, but the person really isn't sorry that they hurt someone's feelings. The PC police are generally portrayed as scolding self righteous people who make the same kinds of blunders but aren't perceived as being held accountable for them.

I'm not a fan of scolding. I do think sarcasm has its place when used to get someone's attention who is apparently not paying attention. I do not mind being offended nor offending if it is an issue that I want to face and be faced head on. Straight ahead disagreement.

Disagreeing is a wonderful way (and efficient) to learn and to rethink issues and ideas we were sure we had 'the corner on truth'... only to discover we may be blind to other experience and data.

The whole 'calling out the political correctness' stuff is mostly when folks have been lazy or have not thought through some insensitive thing or when the world changed and became aware of whole areas of human experience that used to NOT have a voice... that voice has emerged and now it is respected and honored in the way that it deserves.

Don't get me wrong. I am an 'oldish' white guy raised in a world that has shifted mightily and I make ignorant comments and have foolish perceptions that USED TO BE called 'no big deal' or 'truth' and were accepted.

I'm not so old as to assume my 'rightness' continues to be right and the world is wrong... Instead, I do my best to understand what is being said and to consider that I might need to adjust my thoughts, ways of thinking and the expressions I use.

When sanctimony shows up, I groan. But when I am made aware that something that I'm doing is patently offensive, I don't blame the message bringer, I own it, adjust and am humbled and reminded to pay attention.... it is the unknowing slights that destroy friendships.

14. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

Spoken like a truly nice guy...

15. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

"....for those of us with a sense of humor, albeit somewhat a warped sense, it was fun... ...." (With no sarcasm at all:) Thank you Mr. Kirn. As usual, your contributions are a benchmark of lucid and useful participation.

Yes! Fun. And informative. Mutually possible.

My goodness.... but..... golly gee..... aren't some of us taking ourselves awfully seriously?
    And being a little thin-skinned? (nitro-esque?!?)
    Like, how did we ever get thru grade school.... or walk down the street.... or subject ourselves to the brutality of watching TV.... much less learn to type well enough to banter on forums..... without being able to either deal with or appreciate
    some sarcasm?
    It's like a style of speech..... it can ease the boredom, put a fresh spin on redundancy.... help us maintain unique personas........

I vote for the possible snarkish remark, over the simple and blunt demand that someone use the search tool, or, the observation that a topic has been previously delved into...
    the whining about being bluntly flamed, or even the heartfelt, long-winded, or typo-filled blather that can also occur.

16. Hackney

Hackney Tele-Meister

I think you're a nice guy actually because you came back in a truly sincere way. It wasn't just that though, there are always going to be a few people in life that are just angry people and treat people miserably.

17. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I believe it was "#@%$$."

18. maryjane

maryjane Tele-Afflicted

great thread!

some people can be too sensitive on one day and insensitive on another day

for some of us "snarky" is a default setting and in some cases a defense mechanism.

we tend to filter what we hear through our own experiences of the world and

if those experiences are limited or narrow than we may lack the sophistication and the

attenuated reflex feelings that go with having a broader mind and the ability to consider

all sides of perception regarding comments and ideas.

many guys like to taunt each other and if we feel familiar with someone

who doesn't share that sense of familiarity there can be misunderstandings.

aside from that, some people are just little crybabies and others are just mean jerks.

so there! i'm gonna go home and cry myself to sleep and wet the bed.

some of that was sarcasm....

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  19. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I believe sarcasm (which I use often) is generally rude and snarky, used to point out others folly in in a self perceived witty manner.

Sarcastic people (like me) can bring laughs or expand a dialog, but we are rarely thought of as pleasant or encouraging.

I'm trying to drop the sarcasm.

20. Jeff_K

Jeff_K Friend of Leo's

Wipe is only 4 letters.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.