When is it a Partscaster?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DimEyeGuitarGuy, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have a 2001 " Made in USA" Hwy. 1 which came with a Mexican bridge pickup. So I swapped it out with an Alnico 111 bridge pickup in a 6 way Gotoh Nickel on brass bridge set up.
    I still think it's a Fender but they are all partscasters even out of the US. Does it matter?
    As long as you end up happy with how it plays and feels.

Fendereedo and TeleTown like this.
  2. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

My Jimmy Vaughan had a sex change and became a Mary Kaye.
    IMG_20180509_085758.jpg

Same neck and body so def a Trans'caster not a Parts'caster.

3. Erebia

Erebia TDPRI Member

For me, a partscaster is any Tele (or Strat I guess) that is originally built from separately purchased, largely non-Fender, parts or is a factory made guitar that has been modded with at least a replacement non-Fender neck or body. The difficulty comes when describing a non-factory made guitar that has been put together entirely using Fender parts. For me, that isn't a proper partscaster – it lacks the spirit of a partscaster – but, lacking the input of factory employees in putting it together, it isn't really a proper "Fender" either (although it might well be put together with more skill and care).

An original factory Fender with a new Fender neck (e.g. Clapton's Blind faith tele) is not a partscaster in my eyes.

One of the key factors for me is whether the maker of the guitar is using parts made in-house or whether they are bought in. In other words, a Hahn or Suhr tele is not a partscaster – these are built using parts made wholly in-house (as far as I know). By contrast, Nash (I think) and Danocaster teles are partscasters – both builders buy in necks bodies and hardware and just put it all together.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Fendereedo likes this.
  4. DimEyeGuitarGuy

DimEyeGuitarGuy Tele-Meister

Appreciate all the feedback. Like I said in the original post, I know it doesn't matter but I was generally curious what the accepted idea was.

Again, this is MY guitar and I'm simply tweaking it to things I think I like at the moment with bits and pieces on a neck and body (look and feel) I'm really happy with.

Tom - DEGG

5. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Anything with a bolt-on neck is a partscaster.

Fender makes a lot of them.

6. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I'm gonna go with - a partscaster is only a partscaster when it is originally assembled for the first time by an amateur putting together a one-off guitar for their own personal use. IOW you bought the body and neck separately. If somebody assembled it and set it up as part of a business - from FMIC to Ron Kirn - it's called a guitar.
    I'm sitting here looking at my strat - I've already replaced the tuners, string trees, pickguard, electronics, and pickups (twice!). But it's definitely a Fender strat, says so right on the headstock.

7. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

There are 89,108 solid body electrics for sale on (just on) Reverb this AM...I don't think it matters if you are happy:cool:.

8. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

It’s a partscaster when you assemble a caster with parts.

Fendereedo likes this.
  9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. Done two LP Jrs, now I'm working on a Special. Been calling them PartsPauls the whole time.

Fendereedo likes this.
  10. Apache Snow

Apache Snow Tele-Meister

Theres another forum where they say if you put different strings on its a parts caster . Those people are nuts.

Fendereedo likes this.
  11. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

If you're buying, it's a partscaster.
    If you're selling, it's mostly original with upgrades.

12. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Any use of non stock components qualifies it as a partscaster . (not to include strings)

Fendereedo likes this.
  13. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I would love to know which one, I could do with a good laugh. :lol:

tery likes this.
  14. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

I have a theory, which is my personal idea but it's a formula that is often fairly easy to apply:

Consider the following three principal component categories of a Fender-style electric guitar:
    • Body
    • Neck
    • Bridge and pickups
    I think that if the body and at least one of the others is original, you can still call the guitar a (for instance) Fender Telecaster with a new (X), with no shame and head held high. I think if you change the body, it's a different guitar, even if every other component is identical. That's just gut feeling. There's some grey area around components other than the neck---as someone said above, things like tuners and strap locks are irrelevant to the identity of the instrument, and I think that extends to basic electronics, although on an instrument on which a particular active electronic setup is part of what it is (e.g., a Sadowsky bass) removing that component might go to identity. The tricky part is if the bridge is changed but the pickups remain stock, or vice versa. If they're both changed, I think you have a partscaster, and if neither is changed, I think you have a Fender (or whatever) with a new neck. If it's just one, it could go either way, perhaps depending on how drastic the change is. For instance, are you replacing one vintage-voiced single coil with another, or are you replacing it with an overwound humbucker? Are you bolting on a standard bridge but with compensated saddles, or are you routing your Tele for a Floyd Rose?

Naturally, different people are going to have different individual thresholds for how original a guitar has to be to satisfy them personally, but, I think that using the foregoing analysis, it is not misleading for, say, a seller to claim he or she is selling a "Fender Telecaster" as opposed to a parts guitar that may include some Fender components.

I know it may seem like a new neck can work a wholesale change in the character of a guitar, but I think that when all is said and done, if a neck develops a twist or something it can be replaced without changing a guitar from a Fender Tele with a replacement neck to a non-Fender partscaster. And if that guitar is still a Fender, then it's still a Fender even if the neck is changed for purely discretionary reasons.

nomadh likes this.
  15. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

My def;

A body and neck = a guitar.
    If they are the original body and neck (as assembled by Fender), then it's original.

The rest are parts that can be changed.

Erebia likes this.
  16. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Your SG was exactly what I was thinking to prove the point and how it would still be a gibson. So I agree, pretty much a bolt neck that keeps the body and neck isn't quite a partscaster in my mind. The next question is does the fender name really follow the body when seperated? The name and serial number is on the neck. I think its like a gun and its receiver. If guitars were registered like guns its the neck that IS the guitar.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Partscaster roughly translates into use the search function.

Oh, I already typed out my very important opinion and it was not the same as my above claim!

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I generally assemble my spin casting rigs for surf.
    So those are partscasters too?

Takes at least ten feet of glass or glass/ carbon to put a SS castmaster out past the surf.

19. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A fellow was seen using a very old axe. When queried, he said it was the very axe that George Washington used to cut
    down the cherry tree.

"My! ... The axe has held up very well."

"Well the facts, I must say, truth to tell...

Replacements were made, both the handle and blade, Sev'ral times as necessity fell."

Lost_N_Austin

20. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Typically any LP that suffers a light fall from a guitar stand, becomes a "Partspaul" :p

Otis Fine likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.