1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When is a clone not a clone? When it's designed by Brian

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by DougM, Mar 14, 2021.

1. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Here he shows how by just changing a single part or two, the same basic op-amp circuit can be an overdrive, a clean boost, a distortion, or a fuzz. I find his geeky engineering videos fascinating

scook, Berndizzle440 and RowdyHoo like this.
  2. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I’m glad somebody does. Too technical for my interest.

3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

All pedal makers are making clones. At least Wampler makes top-notch ones.

Newbcaster, Tele-friend and DougM like this.
  4. DougM

My professional background is in electronics, and I've always been interested in circuit designs of many types. But, when the guys here that build their own tube amps start discussing circuit details and different things in their builds, then it goes right over my head.

Festofish likes this.
  5. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I studied electronics at a vocational school while in high school. Don’t remember much other than fixing tube type TVs and VCRs. About 30 years ago. Man does time fly!

6. RowdyHoo

RowdyHoo Tele-Meister

I dig it too. Thanks for sharing!

DougM likes this.
  7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I was lucky enough to have it offered at my high school, and took elec 1 in my junior year, and then elec 2 in my senior year.

In my case, that was 35-36 years ago, but it stuck with me, and I was able to apply it along the way, despite there not being anything like the glut of pedals that we now have. Well, to be honest, back then I primarily used it for mainly other non-guitar audio stuff. It was very handy for reverse-engineering a lot of OTS electronics for other purposes. I remember repurposing an old Walkman to serve as a turntable preamp, for instance.

I ended up keeping up with guitar gear maintenance and modification to the point that my brain had the right muscle memory by the time the whole pedal thing took off to higher levels.

IMO, the best part is that basic analog audio stuff is really quite cut and dried, for many of the basic concepts. The tough part is vision/creativity/artistry, for if/when you want to design and build something that's not just the same old same old. The good part is that the vast majority of guitarists don't really want new/different, even if they say they do - they just tend to want things they're familiar with, reworked maybe for optimized performance.

Festofish likes this.
  8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

That's interesting, because I find the tube stuff to be much more primitive and easy to design/maintain around. It's a lot easier to just follow cookbook recipes to get all the classic tube amp sounds, vs. using other non-tube tech to get the same performance.

I could design/build tube amp stuff all day long, but loathe dealing with high D.C. voltages, having to source capacitors that can handle ~400VDC - ~600VDC+, and then deal with either NOS or decent current production tubes. So IMO, it's better to explore potential class D SS amps, and then figure out how to mate all the proper non-tube tech in front of that. Either that, or some variation/hybrid approach of it.

9. Berndizzle440

Berndizzle440 Tele-Holic

This is the stuff I freaking love. I can understand just enough to get the gist of what’s going on but wouldn’t be able to explain it ha ha. I love seeing how passionate he is and also how instead of leaving people in the dark explains how the same basic circuit can be utilized in a few different applications. And can I just say that higher gain distortion was luscious?!?

DougM and northernguitar like this.
  10. DougM

When I studied electronics in college they taught us nothing about tubes, and i was much better at digital than analog. I found op-amps very simple to use and understand, but even understanding bipolar and especially Mosfet technology confused me a lot, learning how to bias the different kinds of devices and load lines, etc. But, the analog courses were taught by the two worst teachers in the whole dept. One had a doctorate in education (go figure), and the other was the head of the department, and he wrote a lot of the textbooks that we used, particularly the lab based ones, with many lab experiments and circuits that we built and measured in them. They were used at places like MIT, Stanford, and West Point, and he had a swelled head, and had no time for us lowly Community College students, and only cared about the royalties from his books. OTOH, the best teacher in the whole dept. was a young engineer who had no background in education, and left his position in Silicon Valley after he grew tired of corporate politics and decided to teach. He was the one that taught the digital courses, and he made microprocessors, gate technology, machine language, and other digital concepts very easy to understand. Of course, that was many years ago when an Intel 8008 8 bit CPU was state of the art, This was long before the 286, 386, and 486 even, let alone the Pentium. I think floppies were a new technology at the time and hard drives didn't even exist yet, let alone multi-gigabyte SS drives.

leonard d rock and zippofan like this.
  11. DougM

Which is why his company is so successful. He's so talented that he can make a simple circuit that he hasn't tweaked sound great in many different applications, so when he really gets down to business and really tweaks a new design, then even more magic happens. I just wish I had more money, 'cause I'd probably have every drive pedal he makes, but I can't even afford one of them. They only Wampler pedal I ever had was a Euphoria that I bought used, and it was still the most expensive pedal I ever bought. In the end I sold it for near what I paid for it, 'cause it was a little too scooped for my taste. Unlike some, I really like drives with a mid-hump, like Klon and TS types, maybe because I use a Strat most of the time, and Strat pickups are kinda scooped too.

12. DougM

Here's another where he shuts down the myths of magic op-amps and diodes

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  13. leonard d rock

leonard d rock Tele-Afflicted

I wish i took up electronics too even as a vocational class. Guitar and gear brought repair and modding brought me to this field and i wish i knew the basics. I learned a lot of the elctronic stuff here on TDPRI (thanks .11 Gauge) and the funny thing is i can hold and follow a conversation about electronics with real engineers to the point that they asked me if i was one

DougM likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.