1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When I was a kid, we were supposed to have flying cars, and a bunch of other stuff; Where is it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Turns out, humans can't be trusted on the road even at 30 mph, let alone flying at 200+ mph @ 3000+ feet en masse.... ;)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  2. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I still remember my eighth-grade teacher telling us that, with all the labor-saving technological developments that were coming along, one of our biggest problems in our future would be figuring what to do with all the spare time we had.

She was a nice lady, but I never saw much spare time.

elihu, Rowdyman and Toto'sDad like this.
  3. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Talk to your oil magnates about technological suppression.

4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

We all got told lies of one type or another so we wouldn't divert from the greed for the Almighty $ and don't interrupt the plan- just go with it. Now be a good boy TD and shush your mouth.

5. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

Well yes, quite often it does. As my friend James Lileks wrote 15 years ago, "Sometimes I think you have to be middle aged to realize how cool things are. You grow up with MP3s and iPods, as my daughter will, and it’s the way things are. If you remember the KUNK-KUNK of an 8-track tape, having a featherweight gumpack that holds a billion bits of music is really quite remarkable. (Metheny was followed by something from the 'Run Lola Run' soundtrack, which was followed by 'I Apologize,' by some nutless 30s warbler, followed by 'Dawn' by Grieg.) And then there's the cellphones and the tiny cameras and the widescreen TVs and home computers that sing to each other silently across the world; wonders, all. This really is the future I wanted. Although I expected longer battery life."

6. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

Postmodernism.

My great-grandmother told me once about how she traveled in a covered wagon from their Iowa farm to homestead in the Colorado foothills by covered wagon when she was 3 (this was 1904) to seek the fresh air cure for her mother's tuberculosis (didn't work, she died). They lived in a sod house during that time until they went back home to the farm. She also flew on a jet plane in her lifetime, and having that conversation about the juxtaposition of those two experiences took place in mine. But think about how less dramatic the change in culture and technology has been during your own lifetime compared to hers.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Manual Slim likes this.
  7. g-Paul

g-Paul Tele-Holic

I'm looking forward to being able to teleport.

8. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

It's interesting to discuss this stuff with my mother and mother in law from the depression & WWII era. One mostly avoids technology. One's more up on news than most and waiting for her latest Apple mobile technology to arrive where her wrist watch is already her phone. Even more interesting because one was a legislator and has photos for the grandkids showing her with past presidents. She's really disappointed in a lot of her peers still with us, lots of boomers who've become as lazy in the brain as they've become fat, but thrilled with her grandkids.

JL_LI likes this.
  9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Dick Tracy had a video-phone on his wrist.

I think this collides with the idea of personal, flying cars.

We'd have to choose one or the other.

Another reason people need to choose the bus, is "medicine". So many prescribed substances impair the judgment of those taking it. Given a choice between flying cars and these big pharma intoxicants, people seem to prefer being drugged.

P Thought likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Respectfully, I think you may have misunderstood her point. Or maybe I have.

I thought the idea was, once lifted from the miseries of daily things you HAD to do, now you were free to spend your time doing something else. Whether you got bored, would be up to you. I mean, the first thing we seem to do is get a dog - and that eliminates any concerns about free time. I remember a conversation I had with my maternal grandfather was I was very little - and he basically said he wasn't allowed a dog because between work and school and keeping up the farm, there'd never be time.

Now, my day is filled with things I "need" to do but if I didn't do them, I wouldn't freeze or starve.

11. JohnnyJumpUp

JohnnyJumpUp TDPRI Member

¡Preposterous! That would be as absurd as having a California p........n in the wh... ....e!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  12. Ed Driscoll

Ed Driscoll Tele-Holic

The fact that were 92 posts into this thread and no one has dared to mention the Stonecutters shows just how deep the conspiracy goes!

13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"We were promised flying cars. What we got were 149 characters."

myteleplaysjazz likes this.
  14. myteleplaysjazz

myteleplaysjazz Tele-Meister

That is not information. That's speculation.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

16. Toto'sDad

You know even though I'm not the least bit technical, in a vague sort of way like a native pigmy in Africa watching a jet fly far over head, I wonder whuuuuuut?

PoorNoodle likes this.
  17. Toto'sDad

I'm just hoping they don't look too closely at the Benjamins! My escape will be short lived.

18. Toto'sDad

I think they really believed all of that stuff.

P Thought likes this.
  19. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

My Dad, who was a career 'flyer', starting just before WW2, told me that over the years there were many versions of 'flying cars' that were developed and promoted.
    He said they were not successful because when you combine a car with an airplane, it makes for a lousy car, and a lousy airplane!

Cheers, RM

20. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

The year 2000 was so far in the future... We were suppose to be in Jetson's territory by then..
    My first electric was a '66 Mustang... and it was NEW..!

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.