1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When I was a kid, we were supposed to have flying cars, and a bunch of other stuff; Where is it?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Oct 29, 2020.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If we could just have those CA drivers from 1969.

Everyone was Aerospace or Military (or retired) and driving "in formation" on the 110 coming down from Pasadena............

Those drivers, they could've done it.

Then CA imported a bunch of Passive Aggressive types from India and NJ and what have you - no thanks.

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

just because SF writers back then could dream up amazing stuff... I don't think humanity needs to be driven by those SF writer's ideas....;)

3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Impossible for this to not get political. Suffice it to say, there are indeed real answers to your questions. Does that help? :D

El Famoso and Manual Slim like this.
  4. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Poster Extraordinaire

Do you really trust people to drive flying cars? Most people should be taking the bus.

5. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

All your gonna do is run to a music store, spend $600 and own a 59 bassman combo & a 59 330 & 335. Also some Mullard PRe-amp tubes, rectifier & power tubes. Won't even need a three prong; YET.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

AFAIK flying cars are plentiful, just too expensive for us mere mortals.
    Given how hard it is to get folks to agree to any requirements like learning to operate, operate safely, buy, license, maintain inspection, insure and register other dangerous stuff, are you sure you're upset that flying cars are uncommon?

Maybe ask SRV and those Navy pilots about flying cars?
    Might be happy they aren't in every driveway!

Manual Slim likes this.
  7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

California drivers are what you get when you take people from all over the country and world, mix their bad habits all together, and put in a pressure cooker for 70 years.

8. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Now the grinch just made it easier on himself and invented black Friday

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle Tele-Meister

Software! Software killed the dream. Most of the things the OP mentioned are hardware. While hardware is still important, what’s really taken over the world is software. Code is what dreams are made of today...

10. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Tele-Meister

But does it make us happy?

11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Software is best used to enable some change in mass and energy. Otherwise, it only enables some virtual activity, like FB, twitter, cartoons, etc.

These discussions eventually reveal two kinds of folks. Those that understand all that we are, is the result of attempting and accomplishing meaningful new things that haven't been accomplished before, and those that hate technology. One group works to benefit everyone, while the other group...well I don't understand the other group.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  12. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Holic

I always liked my bicycles modern and my music vintage, but now they've started selling electric racing and mountain bikes.

13. Downsman

Downsman Tele-Meister

I'm a psychotherapist. I used to meet clients at a therapy room. Then the pandemic hit, and I couldn't do that any more. I switched to Zoom. I open up my laptop, click some buttons, and my client is there in front of me in my home. I can see their eyes well up with tears when they see and experience me seeing and experiencing them as good people. Sometimes the first time they've ever experienced that. Those are powerful moments. For me that's science fiction come to life in an incredibly positive way. I remember seeing Harrison Ford call Sean Young on a video payphone in Bladerunner and thinking how amazingly cool that was. Never imagined I'd be using that technology every day.

P Thought and Manual Slim like this.
  14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

That's a positive mostly virtual activity enabled by technology: communication. In your case, its very productive essential communication. I think a lot of communication today is less useful, either trivial and displacing more important activity, and in increasing cases, inaccurate communication.

As I shared earlier, Blade Runner was filmed in the 1980's and portrayed 2019. We've actually had video phone for a couple decades. We called them VTCs, which might have abbreviated video telecommunication. Oh, and live television has been around for more decades. I suppose two way video communication has only been available in our homes for a few years. Good example.

15. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Holic

True fact, Nikola Tesla had all the good stuff in the late 1800s. I guess the gubmint doesn't want us to have it. It would spoil there plans for a dumbed down society.

16. MrCoolGuy

MrCoolGuy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Elon Musk: "Hold my beer"

JL_LI likes this.
  17. Wildeman

Wildeman Tele-Meister

It'll be GREAT!!!......again

18. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We do have smart phones.
    Which are second nature now, but fabulously unimaginable to most people in the 1970s.
    In a lot of ways, these things are more useful than flying cars.

19. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Oooo we’re getting warmer!

20. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Friend of Leo's

I think I have a DeLorean body and a garbage powered nuclear power generator around here somewhere.
    I'll start gathering copper wire coils.

Toto'sDad and Obsessed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.