When I was a kid our vinyl was black

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a kid our vinyl was black...

[​IMG]

My 30 y/o son, somewhat unexpectedly, has really gotten into vinyl, and he now has about 5 milk cartons full of records.

Great stuff! There really is something audible about vinyl records... after decades of digital, you can really there the subtilties in audio quality when listening to vinyl.

I'm somewhat surprised how big the vinyl market is now days. Do you have a vinyl collection?

What I find interesting is how much art is on the vinyl records themselves these days. All kinds of colors, patterns, images. It is very cool.

I've even bought few old favorite albums myself and donated them to my son's vinyl collection.

Do you buy new or used vinyl albums? What are your thoughts on vinyl sound quality vs digital?

As a grumpy old man, I think its damn cool that vinyl has made a comeback.

Nubs, naneek, Mark E Rhodes and 7 others like this.
  2. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have the White album on white vinyl, the Beatles' Red album on red vinyl, quite a few picture discs, etc.

tanplastic likes this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I had Dave Mason’s Alone Together, in the marble vinyl it was pressed on.
    I also had J Geils Band’s red vinyl Bloodshot album.
    Fifty years ago.
    Yikes!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
    catdaddy, tanplastic, ponce and 2 others like this.
  4. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

In 1969 I bought "Nazz Nazz" (Todd Rundgren) in red vinyl. Also bought Led Zeppelin I that day as well, but that was plain old black vinyl.

catdaddy likes this.
  5. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

1970. Not a bad record although a ton more conventional than the disc suggests.

upload_2021-10-19_21-18-39.png

I’ve gone through periods of audiophile nonsense before I had kids. I like vinyl too but pragmatically, it’s certainly not better than CD or lossless digital. Different, yes, and also a function of your stylus and table and preamp and and. There’s more to tinker with. 50% for me is nostalgia for the ritual and objects from childhood, in my parents’ house with their stuff, when almost all music was still magical.

6. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Crap. Beat me to Alone Together. Cheers. :)

brookdalebill likes this.
  7. tenthstreet

tenthstreet Tele-Meister

I’m 38 and buy pretty much exclusively on vinyl these days. Caveat for me is that I’m a huge, huge Beatles and classic rock fan, and since college, I’ve always had my dad’s records and his old turntable. To me, it was “the way the artist intended.” When I dove in then, it all made sense…the twinkling of the carousel that ends the first side of Sgt. Pepper, or why a given artist would place a reprise that was halfway through an album on CD (because it was the first song on side b!), and so on.

I like to think that my generation is into vinyl not just because of the sound, but because it’s purposeful. Rather than a random mix of one-off random songs in a digital medium, one is choosing to pick up and actively put on a record. It’s tangible and real. And it also helps support the artists I care about.

8. tubedude

tubedude Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Except for an extra "Close to the Edge" and a German pressing of Led Zepplin1, all my vinyl is from the 60's-'80's and black.
    As a toddler I had several colorful 78 RPM records. Frosty The Snowman was bright crimson red. Most of those were about 1/4" thick. They weren't vinyl, if you dropped it, it shattered. Maybe lacquer.

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

So do I, along the the Sgt Peppers picture disc. I've got a few other odd colored ones as well but nothing really notable.

10. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

When we were kids vinyl records were black because carbon black was added to the vinyl to increase the structural integrity of the product. Carbon black is still used for the same reason in the manufacture of tires.

11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I have a bunch of vinyl from the 60s 70s and a Philips 312 turntable i bought in the 70s and haven't used it for 20 years or more. Been curious how i'd feel about vinyl now after only digital for so long and i really wanna hear it. But i have nothing that i can plug the turntable in. Sold about a 3rd of my vinyl on ebay a few years back but i still have maybe 40-60 LPs. One of these days maybe ....

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  12. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Ya but do you have any quadrophonic albums or cool 8 tracks !

1guy and Big_Bend like this.
  13. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Afflicted

Same age and many of the same sentiments.

This is not my picture, but it is my best-looking and one of my very best sounding records.
    upload_2021-10-19_20-40-4.jpeg
    Maybe there was a time when colored wax couldn’t consistently press well, but the good pressing companies seem to have the recipe down now.

My kids LOVE listening to our records. Even my 2-year-old son knows how to find his favorite 45, grab the adapter and turn it on. Only a matter of time until his sisters show him how to drop the needle. And I feel like I’m teaching them to listen the right way.

14. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Holic

I like the colored vinyl. I've seen a lot of newer bands putting out limited editions of all different colors and color combinations. I bought the below album a while back because of the marbled vinyl. It's a nice change of pace from traditional black
    baf7fa05c1ed2e71e447264ce7e064be.jpg

15. tenthstreet

tenthstreet Tele-Meister

My 8 year old calls DVDs “records.”

whoanelly15 likes this.
  16. Red Ryder

Red Ryder Tele-Meister

I took the wires that go from the turntable to the stereo amplifier cut off the rca ends,soldered on a 1/4" jack and plugged into my guitar amp. Nothin like Wolly Bully through a full stack.

17. Sparky472

Sparky472 Tele-Holic

I remember buying this in 1981…

[​IMG]

18. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

My Alvin and The Chipmunks record from ‘58 was red vinyl.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I’m in my mid 50’s and I still have all my old vinyl. About eight 12” x 12” milk crates in the basement. I was a senior in college when I bought a CD player.....1986 or 87. That’s when it all changed. I now have an Apple plan that lets me stream anything anywhere any time. I recently sold about 600 CD’s to Music Go Round but I’ll never part with the vinyl.

Big_Bend likes this.
  20. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Remember the Split Enz True Coulours album....it featured “I got you”?

I have one of the old vinyl copies that you hold up in the light and wave it around and bizarre geometric shapes appear on the vinyl. I love that record.

richiek65 and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.