When I Turn Off My Amp... Stereo Turns Off...?!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Texicaster, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

¡Bueno!

Ever see this happen? It's actually my computer music app Audirvana!

Set up:

Swart AST Amp AND iMac plugged into Tripp-Lite LC1200.

Hegel Rost DAC plugged into iMac.

Turn off "launch" and then the stand by power. it does it on final shut off. No guitar or effects plugged into the amp when doing this...

Neither computer nor stereo flicker; both stay on. Only Audirvana stops and it stops and backs out of track to a default starting position. So not pausing....

Repeatable phenomena. Does it almost every time.

I assume the amp is generating a signal at shut down but am curious if this points to something else. But not familiar with any remotes that work with the iMac....

I am having trouble with pedals popping but can't imagine that's related.....

What do you think? Weird huh?

TEX

2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I don’t know anything about your problem but it does remind me of something similar.
    Back in the 70’s I went to Sears and Roebuck to get a vasectomy. After that every time I got romantically aroused my garage door flew open.
    It is kinda the same thing.

Ricky D., bumnote, Shuster and 7 others like this.
  3. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

My uncle thinks he's a chicken.

We are gonna send him to a psychiatrist as soon as we sell enough eggs to afford it.

(His is a repeatable phenomena too).

bumnote and Shuster like this.
  4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

You guys do kids parties?

:D

TEX

5. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

All jokes aside...

WHY is this happening?!

Too weird....

6. JuneauMike

I don't think I understand the problem. Are you saying one software is turning off when another software turns off?

Or are you saying a free-standing home audio component (stereo) is being affected by another free standing component (amp) and the common denominator is that they are both plugged into the wall?

7. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

Yea... Lemme clarify after more experiments...

Yes both amp and computer in same Tripp-Lite LC1200. Only sockets nearby....

But...

I used an extension to isolate the amp (but left in same position to see if it was some sort of EMI that was acting as a remote) and no problem.. so somehow when amp AND iMac plugged into same power supply turning off amp switches off external speakers from iMac...

In the case of Audirvana (it's an iTunes like application) it was turning off the playing track in Audirvana. When streaming a Youtube video through external speakers it simply switched to internal speakers.....

No sound and nothing flickered

Since the Tripp-Lite by nature is supposed to regulate the current some what I'm baffled as to how something is spiking through the line conditioner to result in a strange event....

Puzzling...

TEX

8. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Afflicted

OMG!:D

9. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Try it without the power conditioner?

10. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Seriously; it happens to me too

THe home theater receiver goes off when I turn on my amp

weird

11. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Not sure I can picture this setup. So the 'stereo' you mention is external speakers on your iMac playing a music app, and the music app switches off (or switches to internal speakers) when you switch your amp off? And there's a DAC in the chain somewhere?

Do your external speakers, DAC, or some other active sound input on the Mac use USB connections? Even a microsecond power jiggle can interrupt the USB bus on the Mac, and at that point the Mac may lose track of various settings that rely on detecting USB connections.

12. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

It may be a glitch from one component is tricking the other into thinking something is wrong and shutting off. I have a GT-100 and a TC-Helicon Duplicator plugged into the same PowersAll supply. If I turn on the GT-100 first and then the Duplicator, the turn-on surge from the Duplicator causes the GT-100 to shut off, but not if I turn them on in the opposite order. So, I just got used to turning on the Duplicator first.

13. JuneauMike

Yeah, I'd consider posting this in Recording in Progress and in DIY Tool Shed threads since both threads probably have more than a little experience with power conditioners and household electrical issues. To the extent this is a software issue, Recording in Progress folks probably has lots of knowledge regarding same.

I like the idea of trying it without the power conditioner. Electrical issues often come down to a process of elimination based on isolating components and observing. I would also go to great lengths to describe the situation accurately, including in the title. You are having electrical issues that I would guess are derived from the supply or perhaps from current draw among the components, as is described above.

This is more clear: "Both amp and computer in same Tripp-Lite LC1200."

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.