1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When I think of a "Country Tele" sound...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by glenlivet, Oct 28, 2020.

1. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

Sorry, but that's James Burton on the solo of Merle's "Workin' Man Blues"......not Roy. Roy played it live but.....James played it in the studio.

igor5 likes this.
  2. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Man, when I read the thread title I thought we were talking about amp settings and pickup heights.
    Seven pages and not a mention!

Maguchi and Big_Ger like this.
  3. Telebra

Telebra TDPRI Member

Wow, I thought I was the only person that doesn't like Wynton Marsalis! Sure he can play some, but his attitude about everything is Sooooo abrasive and off-putting I refuse to listen to him play or talk.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. glenlivet

glenlivet Tele-Afflicted

5. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I’m with Telebra when it comes to Wynton Marsalis. His talent is overshadowed by his ego.

telemnemonics and Maguchi like this.
  6. zeke54

zeke54 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Jerry Reed , absolutely !

Coloradotwanger likes this.
  7. saleake

saleake TDPRI Member

Clarence White on Sweetheart of the Rodeo.

8. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

James Burton backing Buck Owens on Open Up Your Heart. His playing here defined "chicken picking", and a whole generation of country players copied these licks and this sound. Even rock players like Jimmy Page copied some of these licks:

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Rad! My favorite Waylon song is this at the moment… not the well-produced version of the 60s, but the rawer ones floating around. This one especially (yeah I know the record has been much criticized for post-production, but I love this!).

Talk about getting a great hook and sticking to it to create energy!

That's Albert Lee – after more niche work with Head Hands & Feet, it's the piece of work that consecrated him as a country guitar hero. I can see why!

But for some great Roy Nichols, there's always the jazzier side … Honky Tonk Night Time Man, or Merle's version of Roly Poly!

HALLELUJAH!

Oh no! I've got to dig out James Burton credits from the Buck Owens discography too!! I thought it was strictly Don Rich territory (RIP Don). He played with everyone!! Please post a list of your favorite James Burton solos with Buck!

Other than teaching generations of real country players, he is also teaching wannabe country guitarists like me! People… don't go for bit "licks" courses… go to the source and cop those you like! So far I've been at "Bottle let me down", "Mama tried", "Working Man Blues"… and I'm off

TwangToInfinity and Oxidao like this.
  10. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Didn't know that. Regardless, THAT sound

RadioFM74 likes this.
  11. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Check out Ricky Nelson's version of Milk Cow Blues with James Burton on guitar from the '50s. He played almost the exact same licks and solo that he later used on Workin' Man Blues!

I think Open Up Your Heart might have been the only Buck Owens song he played on.

RadioFM74 likes this.
  12. wstrnswingster

wstrnswingster TDPRI Member

Write song with Guy Clark and Rodney Crowell, add a '53 Tele and Fender amp!
    Or get James Burton and Roy Nichols together!

13. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Love Chet and am in awe of his playing and sound. However, the title of the post was "When I think of a "Country Tele" sound...

14. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Yup -Telecaster players love to talk about twang, but Gretsch invented the sound.

15. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I stand corrected!

RadioFM74 likes this.
  16. BFcaster

BFcaster Tele-Meister

Ya know, I can't pin the "Country Tele" sound on just anyone. This sounds very simpleton and a cop-out, but I know a Telecaster country sound when I hear it. Recent or older or vintage, I just (think) I know that is a Telecaster.
    Who came first? Was it a Telecaster or an Esquire? Doesn't matter to me, and that's the beauty of music I guess, that we hear something and it influences us, and we may not even remember the source. The sound or influence was there, and it affected us, enough so that it became incorporated into our style. That's probably the same for the 'vintage' players who started the "Country Tele" sound.
    Just sayin'.

Oxidao likes this.
  17. Oxidao

Oxidao TDPRI Member

Absolutely, as you said it applies to our sources, and them also got theirs.

18. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

The 1st Tele came out on the retail market in 1950. The 1st cutaway Gretsch Elecromatic came out in 1951. It was a hollowbody and sounded great but very different from a Tele. http://gretschpages.com/history/timeline/ It can be also argued that the Bigsby solidbody guitar preceded the Fender Broadcaster (later renamed Telecaster), however the Bigsby guitar was not manufactured on a large scale or widely available. Anyway this is a Telecaster forum and this post is a comparison of TELE country sound, not Gretsch.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  19. old soul

old soul Tele-Meister

I think of the early 90s dwight yoakam/ pete anderson tunes. That's the tele tone!

Colo Springs E likes this.
  20. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Relax, sweetheart.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.