When I think of a "Country Tele" sound...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by glenlivet, Oct 28, 2020.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh that’s just cold, man!

2. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

How about Red Volkaert [and Eric Johnson? Ha Ha!] Did I miss him in this thread?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  3. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Not a ton of Tele picking here, but I just had to include this for those who haven't ever seen it

4. telemnemonics

Emmylou had some kinda good taste!
    Who was that little guy with the LP Jr she had for a while?

5. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Frank Reckard?

Cheers,
    Geoff

telemnemonics likes this.
  6. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

What about Will Ray?

Maguchi and telemnemonics like this.
  7. telemnemonics

Yeah that's the guy I was thinking of!
    He's got a LP Jr with a B bender and hellacious Country licks, plus he's got Emmylou!

8. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Afflicted

Nobody made me "the guitar police". I am pointing out the flaw in your own logic.

I did not feel the need to re-iterate that Luther Perkins is a cornerstone of country telecaster tone, I also do not deny that you posted a video of him earlier in the thread. On the other hand you discounted my opinion, this is an opinion thread, out of hand simply because I raised a point of contention.

James Burton, Reggie Young, Brent Mason, Jon Jorgenson, and Jerry Reed among many others play more than just twangy classic country. That does not change the fact that they are great players who happen to be on more records than you or me. Playing in multiple genres is what makes music interesting.

According to your logic, playing more than country means that player should not be mentioned here. What happened to cross genre versatility. Certainly Garth Brooks, George Strait, Lee Greenwood, and Brad Paisley shows have more in common with Kiss, Queen, and the Grateful Dead shows than a Johnny Cash show. I suppose according to your logic I couldn't site Glen Campbell's time as a session player in Nashville during the 50's because he played on everybody's records including the Beach Boys right? Nevermind the fact that he is an amazing player that happened to play country music, he could play classical, Jazz, Rock, Blues, Country, etc.

In any case, to each their own. This debate is over.

9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I think that this thread is getting unnecessarily hot because of a basic misunderstanding (and I am not laying the blame at anyone's door, least of all @GuitarsBuicks ' who just happens to have posted right before me): this is not about who is the greatest tele country picker, or the most important, or who came first. Or even about who qualifies.

It's just a thread to compare notes about who comes to YOUR mind when "country tele" is mentioned. No absolute truths. Lord knows that my answer changes every couple of days and right now I'm pretty deep in James Burton's seminal (and astoundingly kick-ass) late 60s work.

It's fun like that: we're all sharing vids we like on the cherished topic. I'm happy I made @Walden 's day a few posts back, and I've been repaid ten-fold with lots of gems. Let's keep it going like this!

By the way. Pace genre purists on the thread, this also springs to my mind when a "country tele sound" is mentioned. Eh George, you ARE missed… what a guitar player…

Walden likes this.
  10. Hpilotman

Hpilotman Tele-Meister

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister:
    "In any case, to each their own. This debate is over."

Never was any debate.

There is NO flaw in my logic concerning this matter.
    Just because I see things differently than you does not mean there is a flaw in my logic.

If you think this is a place for the exchange of ideas then do a better job of selling your position instead of attacking some else's logic and ideas.

11. telemnemonics

Dang!
    Music is all inclusive and harmonizing.
    Putting energy into demands of approval and admonishment for disapproval is not musically acceptable!

If we hear a clam, (or some Jazz where it doesn't belong), we can simply display our view without arguing that other views must be wrong.

But of course my comments are just, like, my opinion, man!

Dissenting opinions are refreshing.
    If I'm locked in to my small individual viewpoint, even if I'm a wikipedia fact publisher, my world view stays small.

Almost any fact in the vast community of music, can be countered by some other fact.
    That's a part of growth.
    Cross pollination is good, exclusive clubs not so much.

Except for classical trumpeter Wynton Marsalis claiming that real Jazz has to stay "in the tradition" which is '40s Bop!
    Bad man with a bad opinion!
    Resentment required!

Maguchi likes this.
  12. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I think of Roy Nichols solo on "Working Man Blues"

Coloradotwanger and RadioFM74 like this.
  13. Oxidao

Oxidao Tele-Meister

Great thread !!
    I found some interesting new lanes to ride in Country music.

This wasn't my main preference in music for most of my life.
    I went through almost anything (but Metal), but some time ago I started looking at this, and I'm a real Country and BGrass lover now.

BUT...
    As an American foreign, I'm not as pourist as you seasoned people probably are, and kind of hear country in many places you Americans don't. I mean: Americana
    But (again) we're not talking about that. Sorry.

We're talking about Telecaster on country music, and that's a pitty I can't mention Scotty Moore's Tele in 1953 cause he soon moved to Archtops and wasn't even called country what he did those days.
    unnamed.jpg
    Even though he had that same seminal vibe coming from Country, BlueGrass and Blues and creating with JAMES BURTON and LUTHER PERKINS among many others like Charley Feathers later the rest of things for us (R'Roll, R'Billi, HonkyTonk...).
    That is the Tele sound I like.
    ... and when it all started IMO (with Maybelle Carter's and Bill Monroe's leave).

I heard the evolution of that sound also on Roy Nichols and Rodney Crowell, but I'm not sure if they play Teles actually.

Also on many other people like Brad Paisley to name one, and I appreciate that but doesn't make me mad.

DeLuxe Rev
    V5 T5 B5 Rev3
    Neck or Middle position

I'm sure I'm wrong on many statements, I have no problem changing my mind, I do it all the time.

I'm gonna stop writing, otherwise you're gonna hate me more for being so loose with the thread.

Walden, glenlivet and telemnemonics like this.
  14. telemnemonics

Well I’m American born & bred but also see Country in a similarly broader sense.
    Americana is to me a more correct view of Country in terms of it being less commercial arena Country and more inclusive of the range of music played in country settings.
    Blues is Country music except for city Blues or Jazzy Blues.
    Grand Ole Opry is more Country than most modern pop country radio, but I’m not following that stuff so may be missing something.

Guven tha Country was played on hollow body before the Telecaster I have no problem with other guitars, but of course the OP specified Country Tele sounds.

Robbie Robertson works but so does Muddy Waters!

Oxidao likes this.
  15. ndcaster

ndcaster Doctor of Teleocity

I think this sounds like good tele country:

and of course there's Waylon and Moon:

Coloradotwanger and RadioFM74 like this.
  16. telereissue

telereissue Tele-Meister

Has anybody said Jerry Reed yet? His sound on a Les Paul is amazing too.

Coloradotwanger, zeke54 and Oxidao like this.
  17. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Take a listen to Emmylou Harris‘s Luxury Liner with James Burton on lead guitar. Nice stuff, even the fade out has some cool triplets.

18. Socalsupermoto

Socalsupermoto TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

He took his wife's pants to the tailor to make em tighter, then walked em right to the bank!

19. CaptJim

CaptJim TDPRI Member

20. Dion

Dion TDPRI Member

Great thread!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.