When guys put a different board inside an LTD...

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by klasher, Jan 2, 2016.

1. klasher

klasher Tele-Holic

When guys put in a hoffman or mojotone board into a bassman ltd, do they usually replace everything? Or are there parts (transformer?) worth saving that come stock with the amp?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

If one already owns one of these Reissue amps, I say play it. If one doesn't own one but wants a 5F6A Bassman, I would suggest building one or buying an accurate clone. The schematic for the Bassman RI shows 491vdc on the plates.....that is 60 volts higher than the original. I want vintage voltage in a vintage circuit.....so I would have to buy the PT that would yield lower B+ than do the RI amps. If one owns one and wants to handwire the circuit, then I suggest checking voltages before starting.
    Fwiw, this handwriting of the PCB Bassman RI has been a topic of discussion for a quarter of a century now. The first response from a tech that I read to this question of 'how to handwire the Bassman RI' went like this......when the RI Bassman had a cab that was not solid pine..."first, pull the chassis, the speakers and all of the hardware from the cabinet. Throw the cabinet away"...LOL.

3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

In the modern gear thing of hotrodding the cheapest thing you can find that looks like what you really want; the Bassman LTD isn't the worst starting point, but it may be the worst money loss by the time the job is done.
    Still, we do what (we hope) makes us happy.
    I like the look of a nice turret board better than an eyelet board!
    PTP is way cool but is a little too abstract to fully enjoy looking at, like a melody I can't remember well enough to hum.
    Seriously, I love the appearance of nice hand wired tube amp circuits, and remember them almost like melodies.
    Partly the romance of great sounding vintage amps I've owned, and also partly similar to nature in the evolution of form and function.
    Why did Marshall and Hiwatt use such different methods to arrange components, and how did that effect the difference in sound, if at all?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.