When guitar brand have very unlikely players in their ads.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Although the SG was launched in 1961 it was originally tagged the Les Paul. In 1963 when Les's contract with Gibson ran out that it become the SG. Though as this ad shows, he 'advertised' his own models' replacement, he apparently did not like it and did not even want his name on it... View attachment 942211
I just LOVE the looks of this guitar - blows me away!

Attachments

• SG CUSTOM.jpg
    SG CUSTOM.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 17

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I just LOVE the looks of this guitar - blows me away!
It's a bit flashy for me, but a great guitar for sure. I had a beautiful 'walnut' SG Standard in the 1970's, which was probably the best built guitar I have owned... However I never got to like the Vibrola, and eventually just took the damn thing off!

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It's a bit flashy for me, but a great guitar for sure. I had a beautiful 'walnut' SG Standard in the 1970's, which was probably the best built guitar I have owned... However I never got to like the Vibrola, and eventually just took the damn thing off!

I know between the Vibrola, the 3 pickups/controls, that this guitar has some playing quirks or issues ( I actually knew someone in '70's College that owned one!), but it is a real stunner!

I have 2018 Cherry '66-style Epi SG Pro. It's the closest I'll get to this!

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I know between the Vibrola, the 3 pickups/controls, that this guitar has some playing quirks or issues ( I actually knew someone in '70's College that owned one!), but it is a real stunner!

I have 2018 Cherry '66-style Epi SG Pro. It's the closest I'll get to this!
I don't own a guitar with humbuckers at the moment...
but if I was looking for one, I think I would be taking a hard look at that Epi SG Pro - I've heard a lot of good things about it

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I don't own a guitar with humbuckers at the moment...
but if I was looking for one, I think I would be taking a hard look at that Epi SG Pro - I've heard a lot of good things about it
Briefly the Epiphone SG Pro is a great Gibson style guitar for a fender guitar player

I say that because first off they really cleared up the Epiphone pickups a few years ago and I think they sound pretty good not quite as good as Gibson but at least they have some high-end and Dynamics

Second they have 500 CTS pots in there that from what I understand help keep things clear

Third and this is important with the pro is that the S G Pro has coil Taps on each pick up and it's wild some of the sounds you can get blending those possibilities

My favorite is to have both pickups on with the coil tap on the bridge pick up only
The blend you get with the quack of that single coil along with the humbucker of the neck and that warm I think it's a fantastic sound I'm playing The Grateful Dead stuff I like and also country music and funky stuff
Very easy to dial in all this junk with those control the tone controls work in the pickup sound good

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
That's the Sister Rosetta Tharpe model:

xpiv56im44361.jpg
Yes, and the lady could really rock it! That concert was staged by local Granada TV at a railway station in south Manchester - about 15 miles from my current house. I was a schoolboy and sadly did not attend.... With that white SG she looks like the 'Queen of the Blues' she truly was...

suthol

Friend of Leo's
Although the SG was launched in 1961 it was originally tagged the Les Paul. In 1963 when Les's contract with Gibson ran out that it become the SG. Though as this ad shows, he 'advertised' his own models' replacement, he apparently did not like it and did not even want his name on it... View attachment 942211
Didn't getting his name off it have something to do with his divorce from Mary.

I had one of these back in the day, picked it up for next to nothing and got $60 for it to pay a bad man good money for bad drugs.

Never bonded with the guitar either so didn't miss it, but at today's prices 🙄

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Didn't getting his name off it have something to do with his divorce from Mary.

I had one of these back in the day, picked it up for next to nothing and got $60 for it to pay a bad man good money for bad drugs.

Never bonded with the guitar either so didn't miss it, but at today's prices 🙄
a lesson there for us all!

Sparky2

Poster Extraordinaire
I've got an Electra Omega, which is an excellent Lester copy.

electra.jpg

You can't see it in this pic, but it's even got the Gibson headstock. 1976 was the only year they did that, every other year has that 'Gumby' headstock like on the 335 copy.

Great guitar. I've actually gigged more with the Electra than my Gibson Standard.

- D

Here's an ad featuring one of my favorite players and producers, Jeff Lynne.

Electra threw him some money, I reckon.

s-l400.jpg

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I remember seeing ads in guitar magazines in the 80's with Buddy Guy repping for Guild, but I had never seen him play anything but a strat.

index.php
guild-buddy-guy-starfire4_1960s.jpg

He actually has played Guilds since the sixties, so it's not that unlikely that they asked him to appear in an ad of theirs.
98685_8bQB6Dp-nJ5aQq5v_48321.jpg

guildBuddyGuy-1979.jpg

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I remember seeing ads in guitar magazines in the 80's with Buddy Guy repping for Guild, but I had never seen him play anything but a strat.

index.php
He played one or similar on Stone Crazy album ( I think that's the title).and his tone and playing is off the charts aggressive and powerful!

( this is the first time I heard Buddy Guy- and I just remember it!
His tone is ferocious, like Buddy's playing with Freddie King's tone!)

Last edited:

stepvan

Tele-Afflicted
A little off track here and I can't find the picture but... SRV was playing at my college in the late 80's. He must have had some deal with a local music store. I watched 2 guys from the store basically chase him around until he finally gave in and smiled into the camera pretending to hold one of these (the music store guy was actually holding it):

View attachment 938278
What a piece of crap!