When guitar brand have very unlikely players in their ads.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
To be fair first act is a legit company with some solid guitars. Started with a ex Gibson employee (if I remember correctly) then put out the cheap starter stuff. But numerous artists have first act guitars. (Now if they use them or not idk.) but Keith Richards, Rick Nielsen, Brad Whitford, both the Mastodon guys.

Like I said. Can’t say if they get much use (I know one of the Mastodon guys has a First Act custom 9 string that got some real use) but they do make decent guitars

Manual Slim

Friend of Leo's
the Doris Day ad was great

I'd like to see more incongruous things in endorsements

Elon Musk in a Telecaster ad
Taylor Swift repping Bud Light
Lady Gaga and Steinway
etc
I'd be more into it if it were an actual ad from that period but it does make for some fine entertainment.

lupowitz

Tele-Afflicted
BrianSetzerGuildMastercraft-1.jpg

bondoman

Tele-Holic
To be fair first act is a legit company with some solid guitars. Started with a ex Gibson employee (if I remember correctly) then put out the cheap starter stuff. But numerous artists have first act guitars. (Now if they use them or not idk.) but Keith Richards, Rick Nielsen, Brad Whitford, both the Mastodon guys.

Like I said. Can’t say if they get much use (I know one of the Mastodon guys has a First Act custom 9 string that got some real use) but they do make decent guitars

Legit for sure, I have 5 of the custom shop models. 2 Lola's a Delia a Sheena and a PP-5 so can vouch as to they're awesomeness. Plus about 15 of the harder to find Asian made models. And it was a couple of former Gibson custom shop luthiers that headed up the FACS. Pretty cool story behind that place. If you notice any similarities between a Gibson Johnny A and Matt Pikes 9 string Lola double cut lets just say that wouldn't be an accident. Some of the logo sniffers may give them a bad rap but I can usually make them eat crow.

studio1087

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I can't find a photo of Lucinda playing her signature CF Martin D-37.

2008_NYR_02033_0028_000(042545).jpg

Martin yanked the guitar from their line because after getting a signature Martin, Lucinda refused to play it in public, She would only be seen playing her trusty old Gibson J-45. The whole "Lucinda's Signature Martin" deal turned out to be a debacle.

Midgetje94

Friend of Leo's
Legit for sure, I have 5 of the custom shop models. 2 Lola's a Delia a Sheena and a PP-5 so can vouch as to they're awesomeness. Plus about 15 of the harder to find Asian made models. And it was a couple of former Gibson custom shop luthiers that headed up the FACS. Pretty cool story behind that place. If you notice any similarities between a Gibson Johnny A and Matt Pikes 9 string Lola double cut lets just say that wouldn't be an accident. Some of the logo sniffers may give them a bad rap but I can usually make them eat crow.
Yea I knew someone here had several FACS haha. Wasn’t sure who tho. Rolling Stones and Cheap Trick were 2 of the bands that made me actually wanna start to play. Since I’ve played everything. Literally. Used to play modern metal, ended up leaving to start (failed attempt but tried) but left to try to start a Shania Twain tribute band. Haha. I stick to the more country and southern rock stuff now. But those two bands starting my fire. And both guitarist having FACS. I’d love to buy one if I ever find one for the right price.

bondoman

Tele-Holic
Yea I knew someone here had several FACS haha. Wasn’t sure who tho. Rolling Stones and Cheap Trick were 2 of the bands that made me actually wanna start to play. Since I’ve played everything. Literally. Used to play modern metal, ended up leaving to start (failed attempt but tried) but left to try to start a Shania Twain tribute band. Haha. I stick to the more country and southern rock stuff now. But those two bands starting my fire. And both guitarist having FACS. I’d love to buy one if I ever find one for the right price.
There was a Keith Richards FACS Sheena on Reverb for awhile but long gone now. Any of the FACS are getting hard to find as well as some of the rare Asian models. And the prices certainly haven't been going down either. The custom shop closed in 2012 and Jazzware's bought FA awhile back so no more of the electrics are being made anymore. Just kids toy instruments now. I hooked up with Kelly Butler here on the First Act page years ago. Former FACS chief luthier, really cool dude, and have had him do some repairs and mod work for me. Also bought one of my Lola's from him and that PP-5 of which only about 10 were ever made. If you like country and southern rock you'd love a Sheena. That just happens to be one of my favorites but more of a blues rock player.

oyobass

Tele-Meister

I have the "John Mayer" White VW guitar. It works for me and plays very nicely, although the parloid layer is peeling off the pickguard(s). I also had the 222 Adam what's-his-name signature model which was a better guitar. Even their basic Walmart-level guitars are very playable after a quick setup.

You can check out the FARG (First Act is a Real Guitar) thread on TDPRI for much more info on these decent, quirky guitars.

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
Agnesi gets a bum rap in my opinion.

I met him a few times when he was still working at Norm's, and he was always very kind, knowledgeable and helpful. He's the one who suggested I check out the '68 Tele that I ended up bringing home, and he has my thanks for that.

Last time I was at Norm's was in 2019, a total crap day weather-wise and the store was pretty empty. Mark took a 12 string Strat off the wall and we passed it back and forth, playing iconic electric 12 string riffs on it. He left for Gibson shortly after that.

- D
It's not hard to imagine that the whole "play authentic" thing might've come from some suit; perhaps Mark just got tapped to be the company mouthpiece for it.

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
Speaking of sig models, I have a Gibson Johnny A and like it.

Love the look - and 25½" scale is pretty rare in a Gibson. Also it's nice and shallow, unlike the Barney and the Trini Deluxe from back in the day. Smaller overall too I think.

Whatever its ancestry, the Johnny A is a cool guitar - hollow body carved out from a single block of mahog under the flame top (which is solid maple, not plywood like the ES models.)

I had to look for a while to find one without the Bigsby though.

Paul G.

Friend of Leo's
The Barney is on my short list of guitars that I'd love to own but probably never will. Love that shape.

R.3dfa089bc3f5b0dd94d1ed0ac5cbf201

- D

The Barney is the kind of guitar I'd like to have for the tough gigs. It looks sharp and very boss. Anything I played on it would command attention. I bet it is imposing enough that it would be a good tool against sitting-in-ers. It says, "Don't even try. I don't want to cut you, man, so stand back!"

I've seen Earle Hooker playing one backstage and unplugged. Maybe I saw a photo of Robben Ford?

I'd never be tempted by the Trini Lopez model.

There were actually two Gibson Barney Kessel models. The one rock bands used and pictured above was the Standard. This had a laminated top. There was a Barney Kessel Custom with fancy inlays and a carved top. You never see these.

Also, Trini Lopez had two different Gibson Signature models. The Trini Lopez Standard, basically a 335 with Firebird headstock and diamond f-holes, and the Trini Lopez Custom, which is what Trini actually played, which was basically a Barney Kessel Standard, with the Trini headstock, F-holes and a "standby" switch.

gibson-trini-lopez-custom-sb-1964-cons-full-front-1.jpg

tintag27

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Although the SG was launched in 1961 it was originally tagged the Les Paul. In 1963 when Les's contract with Gibson ran out that it become the SG. Though as this ad shows, he 'advertised' his own models' replacement, he apparently did not like it and did not even want his name on it...
LP.jpg