When guitar brand have very unlikely players in their ads.

warrent

Friend of Leo's
Here are a couple of unlikely players (John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg) with a likely player in the middle.

Ad_EddieVanHalen001.jpg
That's not Bjorn Borg it's Vitas Gerulaitis, he was friends a jamming partners with Eddie. McEnroe owns or used to own a lefty Burst.
Here's Vitus with the guitar Eddie gave him in 83 at MSG
vitus1.jpg

Here are the duo with Aerosmith with John holding the guitar Eddie had made for him:
john 1.jpg

Last edited:

radtz

Tele-Holic
A little off track here and I can't find the picture but... SRV was playing at my college in the late 80's. He must have had some deal with a local music store. I watched 2 guys from the store basically chase him around until he finally gave in and smiled into the camera pretending to hold one of these (the music store guy was actually holding it):

1641742422297.png

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
If a guy from Gibson, Ibanez, or any other decent manufacturer wandered up to you and offered you a pretty much endless supply of guitars if you’d play them exclusively and let them publish pics. of you doing so, would you decline and stick with your Tele?

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
If a guy from Gibson, Ibanez, or any other decent manufacturer wandered up to you and offered you a pretty much endless supply of guitars if you’d play them exclusively and let them publish pics. of you doing so, would you decline and stick with your Tele?
I would take them up on that offer, if that means that they make the guitars according to my wishes. I'd lend them my favorite ones and say "Copy the neck of that one." and "Take the position of the switch and knobs of that one."

Players who do have an endorsement like that often road test prototypes before a signature model is brought out.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Don't have any pics, but I have late '70's Guitar Player magazine ad memories of both The Outlaws and Dickey Betts endorsing the Electra MPC models ( Les Paul style guitars with plug in preamp/ effects modules)
Have no idea if these guys ever used...

Zoso420

Tele-Holic
Don't have any pics, but I have late '70's Guitar Player magazine ad memories of both The Outlaws and Dickey Betts endorsing the Electra MPC models ( Les Paul style guitars with plug in preamp/ effects modules)
Have no idea if these guys ever used...
I follow Andy Timmons on the Facebook and he has been looking for his white electra les paul copy that was stolen back in the 70s. He says it was his first good guitar.