When Does Your Guitar Become Vintage?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cravenmonket, May 14, 2020.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Vintage? When someone is willing to give me more than the cost new for a guitar I bought used. Collectible? None of mine. :lol:

2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

For the one that's the same age as me, I can call it vintage when I call myself old!

3. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Are you describing guitars, or old farts from Maine? Sounds more like old farts. Otherwise, has to be the lamest description of what makes a guitar "Vintage", but come to think of it, Maine is far better known for Maine Coons (fat pussycats) and scuttled battleships in Cuba, than anything to do with vintage guitars. ;)

Hope you don't mind a "poke". ;)

4. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

My guitar was made in '12 and I think it is already vintage.

radiocaster likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I don't understand your question to my answer to the lamest popular question on the internet?

I'm not actually from Maine, but I play a Mainer on TV.

6. Buttered Biskit

Buttered Biskit Tele-Meister

First it has to become worthless where everyone who owns one destroys theirs. Then you have to have one of the very few left.

cravenmonket likes this.
  7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I have a "collection" of guitars, but I don't collect guitars like some people collect art, as a sort of financial investment. I have good and serviceable guitars in my collection, but not the brand names that are popular or prized. I have guitars that are recognized by certain players, but you don't generally find these brands of guitars on stages in town. No Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, PRSes or Fenders here.

I have heard the definitions given earlier by @bgmacaw of vintage = 25+ years, antique = 100+ years. But I generally don't concern myself with strict definitions of vintage or antique, because my favorite guitar brands are not generally sought after, except by those who know the brands and value them. And besides, as for my guitars, I'm not selling, so I have no need to attach adjectives to them to inflate their monetary value.

Although I have no guitar in that strict antique category, I have several that meet the criterion for vintage, i.e., 25+ years old. This recent pic of my three oldest guitars illustrates what vintage means to me.

upload_2020-5-27_2-49-40.png

The first two in the pic (from L-R) are my Japanese vintage Hohner acoustics. That's right, I said Japanese vintage. I'm using that word in two ways: to indicate an era of manufacture, as someone previously suggested of the definition of vintage; and as a sort of synonym for provenance.

(Hohner guitars is sort of a niche market; they had guitars built in the East (first Japan, then Korea, etc.) for decades, from the '70s on through the first decade of the new century, before basically abandoning the guitar market. But their most highly prized guitars came from the '70s thru the early '80s, models made in Japan.)

The first from left is my Hohner HG-905, made in Japan, date-stamped "12-79," so it's 40 years old. the next Hohner, center, is my Hohner G-940. It too was MiJ, but apparently made in a different Japanese factory. It is not date-stamped, but I bought it new in the spring of 1983. So it is no later than that, and since I don't know how long it had been in the guitar store when I bought it, it's quite possible that it is older than the 37 years that I've had it.

The last guitar, on the right in the pic, is my 1953 Harmony H954 Broadway archtop guitar. It was MiC (Made in Chicago), and date-stamped "F-53," which according to the recollections of one Harmony factory worker means that it was produced in the first half of the year in 1953. So it is or will soon turn 67 years old. It is my birth year guitar; if I were date-stamped according to my birthday, it would read "S-53," born in the second half of 1953. It is my newest acquisition but my oldest guitar. (BTW, bgmacaw, I purchased it on a recent RV camping trip that included camping in Georgia. I picked it up from a guy in Athens.)

Harmony guitars are another niche market. They don't get the credit they deserve for being American made with solid woods (birch, in many cases), but they aren't highly prized or tagged with high prices. They are sought after by guys like me, who started playing guitar on a Harmony archtop in 1967.

cravenmonket likes this.
  8. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Meister

Those Hohners are gorgeous! The color of the tops! Thank you for sharing!

LGOberean likes this.
  9. JJLC

JJLC TDPRI Member

the term 'vintage' means different things to different people so, the term has little relevance, IMO.

I know what the term means to me but that doesn't matter.

YMMV

10. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ... that's a good one!! (sic)
    Unless your guitar was made in 1912 or 1812.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.