When does the Telecaster backlash begin?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 2HBStrat, Jun 30, 2020.

1. KW1977

KW1977 Tele-Meister

Truly the last thing I care about. And honestly I see more Jazzmasters around my neck of the woods than anything, and what's sad is a lot of people utilize them in a way that doesn't even exercise their strongest points.

But Teles - What's that you say? Flooded market equals more available? And for less?

2. dodona

dodona Tele-Meister

I am basically into Gibsons(335, Les Pauls, Archtops), and the only Fender acceptable for me and most other Gibsonites is the Tele. The Tele comes and goes. In the 70ths it was 'the' guitar for country players. The name Hellecaster clearly is derived from Telecaster. Thereafter the popularity decreased somewhat, and now it increases. Since 1950 there is a up and down, however the Tele survived them all. Therefore I don't think we will ever see a backlash.

DrASATele and BBQedIguana like this.
  3. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

When the Broadcaster was released, it was miles ahead of anything else available. It took Gibson several years to figure out the bridge on a Les Paul. For the strings of the day, the Tele bridge worked very well.
    Along came the Strat, an upgrade to many for various reasons, but it never replaced the Tele.
    Les Pauls got better and better. The 335s came along, Flying Vs jumped out at you, Jazzmasters, Jaguars, more bells and whistles, Teles never went away. They have morphed, been modded, loved, hated, disrespected and beat to heck; still going strong.
    I have six. Three factory with minor mods and three strictly partscasters, all feel, play and sound different from each other.
    Buddy, this IS the backlash.

Brett Valentine likes this.
  4. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

Today's Tele is pretty much like the first ones. I'm still trying to find a decent bridge pickup for my Strat and the more I work on it the more I appreciate my Tele. As a guitar player I've switched back and forth to a couple of different guitars but every time I pick up my Tele I think to myself "why did I ever stop playing this?"

5. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Holic

The Strat bridge pickup is the weak point of a Strat, imo...some folks have adapted a Strat to accommodate a Tele bridge pickup...I've tried it but I prefer the versatility of a humbucker that is splittable.
    upload_2020-7-8_10-31-46.jpeg
    Well, the Broadcaster (or Esquire, depending on who you believe) was, other than handmade Bigsby guitars, the first, so there was really very little to compare it to.

6. poolpog

poolpog TDPRI Member

Wait. Are we?

This is called "begging the question"

That question being "Are we seeing an upswing in Teles?"

And maybe also "Will an upswing in teles lead to a backlash?"

I'm not completely sure what your point is, honestly. Also, Teles are great, maybe even my favorite, but you know what, lot of other guitars are also great.

7. bigjohnbates

bigjohnbates TDPRI Member

I think offsets and Tele's are having a bit of a renaissance and have been for the best part of a decade. I have a "white chicken" that I play as my main guitar live and it seems to be loved by all. I have a Maple US Tele with a P-90 as wel, can't go wrong. It was a good transition out of a decade of Gretsch hollowbodies - tho my White Falcon is still a king. To me it's whatever best represents the band sonically and visually.

8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Nah. It's been here forever and it's not going anywhere.

9. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

Yep, I have been noticing both these trends. Seems like everybody has a semi-hollow these days. The indie guys go for the semi's and jags.

dlew919 likes this.
  10. Mark1406

Mark1406 TDPRI Member

I'm a little amazed that Parker Fly guitars have never had their day. They seem little an okay guitar.

Regards

Mark

kcarlos and dlew919 like this.
  11. Maguchi

Maguchi TDPRI Member

Hmm, interesting perspective. Haven't thought of it like that. Backlash or not, I will probly keep playing Teles.

12. Maguchi

Maguchi TDPRI Member

I think this is a quote by Greg Koch, "at the end of time, after the apocalypse, there will be cockroaches and Telecasters, and the Teles will be in tune.”

13. Maguchi

Maguchi TDPRI Member

Spent most of my bread on booze, chicks and guitars...the rest I wasted.

2HBStrat, schmee and Obsessed like this.
  14. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Meister

I like the way you think.:cool:

15. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

agreed! Here here!

16. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's

I assure you I will completely ignore it if it happens, even if I know it's happening.

Too old to waste time trying to be somebody else's idea of cool

17. ChickenKiller

ChickenKiller Tele-Meister

Tele, Amp, an OD pedal, and MAYBE some Slap back delay...

If ya need anything else get a keyboard player.

Mick Sullivan likes this.
  18. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I never played any SRV tunes, but I build this guitar while I playing in a swing blues band about 20 years ago. It's the "anti-Esquire."

Telecasters will never go out of style completely. They ebb and flow with the changes in music. As long as there are genuine players out there who dig the raw honesty of a Telecaster they will be making appearances all over the world.

Attached Files:

RoscoeElegante likes this.
  19. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Excuse me, FOUR positions for the enlightened among us! ;):rolleyes::D:cool:

Cysquatch likes this.
  20. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

From The Book of Leo
    3:33
    Verily I say unto you, that men will turn from their Teles, beer shall froth not its zest, the mighty palms of Canada shall gnarl into fists, and, even, lo shall the son find his father's capo for him no more.

3:34
    Then shall men cry in their hearts, 'It was all that damn ABBA's fault!,' and the Pun of Deadpan shall come into His lorrie, hitching a ride to Neptune, New Jersey, as the mountains belch, "Gretsch! Gretsch!"

BBQedIguana likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.