When does the Telecaster backlash begin?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 2HBStrat, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Yup!

Jaguars and teles and even to a degree jazzmasters are “HIP!” At the moment like beards and baggy beanies

2. GeneB

GeneB TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

The Telecaster is a thing of simple beauty and will never lose popularity.

3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

The appeal, is the legacy for me. I like early artists and their gear. it is an amazing instrument, there is quite a bit you can do with two knobs, three positions, a bridge plate mounted single coil, and good contrasting neck pickup. But its the music and players associated with it that appeal to me. Kind of a controlled chanelling, lol. I also like a basic 50's looking LP or hollowbody for the same reason. Hopelessly old school..

clayton58 likes this.
  4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

Is it hip to play a Tele?
    Am I hip now?
    Or have I been hip all along?
    Been playing Tele for 40yrs now:cool:
    If I'm not hip at least now I know my guitar is:twisted:

drlucky, Ebidis, Rob L and 1 other person like this.
  5. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Jazzmasters are what I've seen increase over the last 5+ years, much more prominently than previous ... but a Tele, you can't kill the Tele, always been there, always will be.

El Tele Lobo, Robert H. and wacolo like this.
  6. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Stratocaster had a backlash?

8trackmind likes this.
  7. wacolo

wacolo Tele-Meister

I am really getting sick of seeing Jazzmasters and Jaguars. I felt the same way back in the 80s and 90s about the RG and Jems.

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Peak Tele was probably five years ago, still holding strong though, with Offsets taking over more indie bands now.

Strats and LPs are "like driving your father's Oldsmobile station wagon", they will be back at some point a decade from now, in spite of some players and brands propping them up.

9. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

I agree, I’m 33 and started getting into Tele’s somewhat recently. Always had humbucker guitars up until that point and didn’t know what I was missing. I’ve sold 2 Tele’s in the last month to guys that were in their early 20’s. There’s definitely an appreciation for tele’s from younger players.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. clayton58

clayton58 TDPRI Member

I started playing Telecasters because of the simplicity. I had a couple strats. Got tired of the springs and tuning. Yeah. I’m lazy.
    And as I got older I learned to appreciate the tele. When I was young, they were old country twangy
    things...... But all along, that’s what I like. Just didn’t know it.

11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Tele heard immunity

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I've got Tele Backlash Day pencilled in for this Thursday, but we'll see if anyone shows up for it.

There's a difference between folks who play a Telecaster and Telecaster players. The latter seldom care much about what the former thinks about guitar trends.

13. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I think everything and everyone goes through phases. For a while, all I could think about was Les Pauls. Then I got my first strat, and they were the BOMB. Then I got a Tele, and that was everything. A couple of Teles later, I got another strat, and played the Teles less. One day, I got a PRS, and the Teles and Strats sort of went to limbo. Now, I tend to cycle between guitars, one for a couple of weeks, then another.

I could care less what the folks in bands are playing, I like things that I like to play. If suddenly, tomorrow, all the bands dropped Teles, I’d probably play mine even more. A little different sound from everyone else.

drlucky, DanCooz and SAguitar like this.
  14. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

15. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I love my tele. It's the guitar I've wanted for 20 years. It only took me that long to finally buy one. And I have been disappointed for one minute.

16. BBQedIguana

BBQedIguana Tele-Meister

I'm 51 and I just discovered Telecasters this year. Until then I was really uneducated when it came to gear - the only guitars I was really conscious of were Strats, Les Pauls, SGs, and various crazy looking guitars from the 80's like the BC Rich Warlock and the Ibanez Destroyer (which I realize now is a copy of the Gibson Explorer). I guess being into metal mostly I just never came across Teles in the music I listened to.

EXCEPT... my fav all time band ever is The Police and of course Andy Summers played a Tele throughout their album-producing years. So likely the VERY FIRST guitar I saw as a kid was a Tele - I just didn't realize it.

I got a Strat knockoff when I was a teenager and I've had it ever since. I doctored it up to like EVH's Frankenstrat. I still have it! But when things went to Helena Handbasket in March this year, I started to really practice playing (lots of free time!). I quickly found out that I had outgrown my "Strat" purchased from Sears so I looked at images of my favourite players to get some ideas of where I'd like to go. That's when Andy popped up with his Tele and I went "AH HA!".

So why did I pick the Tele over just about any other type? I mean some of my heroes are really tied to specific guitars:
    • Tony Iommi plays a Gibson SG
    • Blackie Lawless plays a BC Rich Warlock
    • Mick Mars started on a Gibson Les Paul and in the 80's played Warlocks, Flying V's, Explorers, etc
    • Lita Ford played a Warlock
    • Slash played a Les Paul
    • K.K. Downing played a Flying V
    • etc
    When I figured out that Andy Summers played a Telecaster, I started researching it and the INSTANT I saw a picture of a black Telecaster I fell in love - I knew that was IT!!! Here's the actual image I found (it was for sale on Kijiji):

[​IMG]

So I bought one within my budget (Squier) and modded it out with some humbuckers - I know it not longer sounds like a Tele. Now it sounds like my guitar. The key is I *LOVE* the simplicity and look of the Tele - it's timeless and classic. Sometimes the first design of something is just "right".

Cheers!

Rick

17. Sequimite

Sequimite Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I had a Jaguar when nobody wanted them, paid $175 back in the 80's. Then Grunge happened and as soon as I could get $400 it was gone. Nice guitar but the tone didn't seem to have much character.

18. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Strats seem to be less common in indie and underground bands right now, though when I was booking at a jam band bar I still saw plenty in that crowd. I still love strats, and I'm a recent Tele convert. I love Jags and Jazzmasters but I don't have as much use for one of them right now.

19. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

The Telecaster backlash has already begun. P.M. me and I will give you my shipping address, I will do all I can do to keep you from looking uncool.

20. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Well, considering the Tele has been popular for almost 70 years....I'd say it has a few more years to go.

dougstrum and Telecaster88 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.