1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When does DIY become more important then playing

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by pinchegil, Oct 29, 2020.

1. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

What is this 'playing' thing you speak of ???

I enjoy the 'trick-behind-the-magic' more, I guess.

2. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have to build make create things ,I'm addicted , I get these screwed up ideas and cant leave them alone until i test them out for validity and function, I've never built an amp , but I have built a guitar, I love to noodle on guitar and explore new things ............I need proffesional help :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

3. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

How would Leo Fender reply in this thread?

KS6V, drew1d, smoothrecluse and 3 others like this.
  4. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Nah, your just a crackpot like the rest of us DIYrs

matty428, Whatizitman and 24 track like this.
  5. KT89

KT89 Tele-Meister

I made it a career. Electricity at work, music at home. Though I complete much fewer hobby projects nowadays

Digital Larry, matty428 and pinchegil like this.
  6. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Leo didn't play guitar

matty428 likes this.
  7. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

Exactly.

KS6V, matty428 and pinchegil like this.
  8. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

... depends on what you are making

matty428 and pinchegil like this.
  9. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I started messing with electronics when I was 7, studied it in college and had a 15 year career as a design engineer before I got into project management and software. I thought I wanted to design and build pedals and mess with amps (which is what I was doing when I joined this board). But after college I wrote some songs and if I get together these days with old friends, they might say "let's play that old song" but they never really give much of a crap about the things on the workbench. So I knocked most of the tinkering on the head and gave away my tube amp chasses. Whatever creative energy I have now goes towards playing, practicing, songwriting and recording. And yes, I do think of that as something that will outlive me and maybe someone will bother to listen to it when I'm gone.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I did experimental guitar wiring from maybe 1988-2005 then finally concluded that for me, if the pickup, guitar, amp and speakers were properly chosen and matched to each other, my tone was there and none of the pickups output needs to be shunted to ground to “improve” it.

I think it’s possible that DIY is often driven by random project ideas as if a doctor chose a random treatment for each patient.
    Unless we prefer tinkering to playing, I think it’s important to learn why we should change something first, before learning how.

But of course understanding why in terms of how the whole signal chain works, requires some experimenting!

Digital Larry and pinchegil like this.
  11. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

appropriate Skillset allocations....

I have become more successful in a significantly shorter amount of time building and repairing guitars amps and such compared to the gross amount of time spent becoming a poor musician.

Timmay and smoothrecluse like this.
  12. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Building and asembling is the "grunt" work. Almost anyone can do it and the results are rewarding. Years ago, I decided that I like to play more then build although recently I have the desire to build a custom headphone amplifier...

It's just a differrent kind of GAS.

pinchegil likes this.
  13. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

No doubt about it for many. I'd be a lot better player and a ton richer if I had taken the "I just play what I have" attitude the last 20 years.

14. skradlee

skradlee TDPRI Member

I enjoy doing a bunch of stuff and actually playing guitar as well as modding them are only a few of the things I try to make time for. I find that i will get into one hobby really hard for a few weeks or a month or two, and that will take up most of my free time, then something else will pop up and my brain will get all fixated on that for a while.

pinchegil likes this.
  15. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

while diy is fun, it is the ultimate end, the playing of the guitar, that is the the most fun.

play music!

16. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

I'm building a guitar now, and my pedalboard and guitar have been in a case for a week -- since last practice. I have noodled a little on other guitars, but my focus is definitively on the build.

pinchegil likes this.
  17. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Shocking. But then, I do play guitar and bass, so I guess you are right. I do have two hobbies.

18. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Back in the day....here we go.

But in ancient times let's say, there were very few places to get a guitar amp fixed, even fewer luthiers to attach those broken headstocks. I came from the era that if you needed it fixed, better get out the tool box. So I found books in the library to learn about how to fix amps. Today, you can follow a few Uncle Doug videos and if it's something simple, pretty much know how to proceed. Although Uncle Doug is a crack electronics guy, so proceed with caution.

However, fixing your own amp was kind of part of being a musician, especially if you came from a small town. It was just easier than finding someone, dropping off the amp, not knowing how good your choice was i.e. does the repairman know his stuff (many don't) etc. DIY doesn't have to replace the art of playing guitar but if it happens, go with the flow.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  19. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

It's been a satisfying experience building a P-Bass, Strat, and 3 Tele partscasters. But now after almost 4 years since trying to learn how to play the guitar one more time and not feeling like I have gotten very far, I am ready to stop the building, and buying and selling, and focus on learning. Only so much free time.

Randypttt and pinchegil like this.
  20. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Holic

guitar is my first love, but i make mostly electronic and experimental music, with or without the guitar (moreso with as of late, i go through phases, sometimes you want a physical system or challenge and sometimes you don't).

the electronics i use are often crucial to the pieces i make or the playing i do. i look at it as designing the systems that i work within, it's another aspect of composition or a way of forcing yourself to play in certain ways. i don't just use stuff as effects to lay on top of guitar playing, i try to figure out techniques for them that i can practice and reproduce, i build stuff that i need, not necessarily for general use. that's what a lot of the early electronic composers had to do in the 50s and 60s.

i think it's also really cool that a novel design has the meta effect of influencing entire styles of music and what players do. look at the fuzz face. or the 808. guys like roger linn or ikutaro kakehashi are more important to music of the 20th century than a lot of musicians.

they're equally trippy and important to me on their own. but they're not necessarily mutually exclusive unless you take a really traditional approach.

i know guys who are brilliant engineers and decent players, but they never make the leap out of their comfort zone. the real wacky electronics stuff they might love devoting so much time to designing and making stupid noises with at home never makes it into their playing. it's a shame.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    pinchegil likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.