1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When does DIY become more important then playing

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by pinchegil, Oct 29, 2020.

1. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Has anyone else noticed that building Amps or building guitars seem to overshadow actually playing guitar?? I have other hobbies so i have a finite amount of time to dedicate to guitars so any non playing activities really eat into practice time. I can go a week or two without really "Playing" guitar

2. ElardLews

ElardLews TDPRI Member

I'm in that exact same situation. For me it's wiring. I love the excitement of seeing if some crazy combination of pot K, cap uF and resistor will change the tone. Check my posts here for some wiring diagrams or my IG. @ElardLews

3. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Holic

I'm the complete opposite. I have 2 little kids, if I juggle everything just right I get 45 minutes a day to do what I want. I'm not going to spend that tinkering.

Maguchi, stepvan, matty428 and 3 others like this.
  4. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

in my case..never..always been about the music. Sometimes the gear incoming chews into that time. None of its wrong..its a great thing..

The gear..the recording..the band... even the promoting..so much to this thing we do..enjoy it ! There is great satisfaction in making things..guitars...songs..bands..never ending entertainment !!

5. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

It happens surprisingly fast.

matty428 and pinchegil like this.
  6. El Famoso

El Famoso Tele-Meister

Haha I have two young boys and am woefully out of practice.

DIY makes very little noise while my wife is watching tv during our limited down time. Also it can be put to the side when there is a “Daaaaaaaaad! He’s hitting meeeeee!” moment. So DIY it is. I have even branched out into home audio.

Practicing while being constantly interrupted is aggravating and counterproductive. Usually end up pulling out a beater guitar and letting the boys mess with it. I don’t want to discourage their interest when they see me playing, but it means I end up not playing.

dasherf17, drew1d, RiversQC and 2 others like this.
  7. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

When tinkering goes right, it inspires me to play. That is, until the urge to tinker returns. I try to get as much woodshedding done before that.

Thoroughly enjoying playing my bassman I just tinkered with. It still needs a little EQ tweaking. Fortunately, I’m too lazy to pull the chassis out. Kind of a PITA. Gonna just have to keep playing it until the urge to tinker eventually wins out.

matty428, mexicanyella and pinchegil like this.
  8. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Meister

Right now hardly anyone is gigging so it seems like a good time to optimize what I have. I have made some substantial improvements to some instruments and next is the amps. I still play a couple hours a day.

matty428, jsnwhite619 and pinchegil like this.
  9. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Holic

Guitar has always been the side hustle of my music career, now demoted to hobby. So I don’t feel so bad building another amp or knocking out a few pedals for friends.

10. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

As soon as I get a new build fired up, I can count on at least 2 or 3 hours where I cannot stop playing through it. Same with later tweaks and mods. If there is not a new amp or guitar around to get intimate with, I tend not to play much at home. Sort of like a marriage that way.

11. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Because of the current situation my wife has been working from home and now our son has moved back in while he shops for a house, he also works from home. The result is morning jams have all but ended and by the end of the day I'm just to beat to play. But I can tinker without disturbing online meetings and such so that's what I do. When life gives you lemons....

12. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I put together a reverb pedal from a kit, and have gutted and rewired my guitar a few times. I prefer to play.

matty428 likes this.
  13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I've been building and repairing for 35+ years, and playing longer than that. They go hand in hand.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I love new hobbies so much that I have to restrain myself. I think I was born a DIY type person. I relish the idea of building an amp, guitar or pedal and admire the ones here that do, but my other hobbies absorb just enough time to allow me to practice daily and I don't want to rock that boat. I enjoy reading the DIYers' adventures here on TDPRI very much.

Maguchi, matty428 and pinchegil like this.
  15. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

This may come as a shock to some folks...but it IS possible to have more than one hobby at a time.

If its guitar related, then it can augment and enhance your overall musical experience.
    Few things in life are more satisfying than the accomplishment of building something yourself.

16. esbrian

esbrian TDPRI Member

I was never much of a player - started late and never put in enough time to be very useful on guitar. I think I had been playing for 10 years when I built my first kit pedal (cause I knew if I could just get THAT sound my playing would suddenly be as good as it sounded in my head) and that started the build addiction.

These days I'll go weeks without picking up a guitar, but not a day goes by that I'm not researching or pondering or drawing up or actually working on some circuit or gadget or what-have-you.

KS6V, matty428 and pinchegil like this.
  17. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I want to build another guitar more than I want another guitar. Why couldn’t I enjoy a smaller hobby?

18. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

I'm a tinkerer by nature. I'm not a very good guitar player. But I love the instrument. I love learning new aspects of DIY anything and my current interest is guitars and amps. I'm semi-retired so I have some time to tinker.

I'm glad to know that I that I'm not the one one here that isn't much of a player but appreciates the instrument and what it takes to make them work.

But, I do play some guitar every single day.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  19. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

that's one of the blessings- there are so many facets of music that are super cool

20. pinchegil

pinchegil Tele-Meister Platinum Supporter

Im the same way but when Im playing "some" guitar, lately Im thing about what can i change not how can I play better. Nothing wrong with it, its just interesting how it morphed.

matty428 and JSMac like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.