1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When does a Tele stop being a Fender?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fenderdad1950, Jan 20, 2021.

1. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Said like a true G&L guy.

truckerrik, Elgin and Cadillac_Mike like this.
  2. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Licensed just mean you are allowed to use the original headstock shape
    Ron Kirn doesnt use the shape , or the decal
    Fender sell their necks with decal and all , so........In the instructions that come with the neck it is mentioned that the neck is meant for Fender and Squier bodies , fit can not be guaranteed on other bodies.
    So , it is fine to use the decal on Squiers and others , as long as you bought it from Fender

nojazzhere and TeleUpNorth like this.
  3. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I can’t define it, but I know it when I see it.

4. Cadillac_Mike

Cadillac_Mike Tele-Meister

Looks like it could be an American Elite body.

Fenderdad1950 likes this.
  5. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

I personally like the weight /feel of Squier affinity strat bodies vs the thicker bodies. I have replaced the neck with a fender neck. As advertised fender necks are for Fender or Squier guitar replacements. I'm not sanding off a decal.

Buying and installing a Copy of a Fender decal is a copyright violation

Making a facsimile decal yourself and putting it on your personal guitar FOR YOUR own personal use is not criminal

Unless you are in one of the few countries that DON't enforce copyright and trademark and churn out thousands of counterfeits try and not violate trademark and copyright.

My "Newest" Fender/Squier is 13 years old. It has already had replacement parts (Frets/Tuners etc) put on.

It's still a Fender guitar.

fos1 and nojazzhere like this.
  6. shallbe

shallbe TDPRI Member

I have partscasters with licensed Fender necks from Musikraft and AllParts. Bodies from Guitar Mill and MJT. I love the shape of the Tele headstock, paid for the licensed shape. I love the look of the old logos, but I don't want these confused as a true Fender brand guitar. Custom waterslide decals are easy to get. And I put finish over them as well, because they are mine, and not a Fender.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

I see the Fender Telecaster as the definitive electric guitar, as such it has spawned many copies.
    Good or bad no copy is a Fender;)

TeleUpNorth likes this.
  8. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I guess I take the legalistic view.

If the Fender company put the logo on the headstock, it's a Fender neck. If you sell a guitar with a Fender neck and non-Fender body, advertise it as a partscaster with a genuine Fender neck. Anything else is deceptive.

If it's a Fender neck and a Fender body but from different guitars, it's also a partscaster. Advertise it as a partscaster with genuine Fender neck and body from different guitars. Advertising it as a Fender is deceptive because the body and neck were not put together by Fender. This would likely bite somebody 20 years down the road if it was priced as a vintage instrument. Yes, Clapton's Blackie is a partscaster. So was SRV's #1 when the neck was replaced.

If it's a non-Fender neck, there may be good reasons to put a Fender logo on it. Maybe you're a fan of Fender instruments, had to replace a neck that was broken, and want to keep the original look. If you sell the guitar, you absolutely must make it clear the neck is not Fender. Anything else is fraudulent.

The potential for these - ahem - omissions of information by the seller is a big reason I stay the heck out of the vintage market. I don't have time to become an encyclopedia on neck stamp dates, potentiometers, and pickguard materials just to play a guitar.

9. TeleUpNorth

TeleUpNorth Tele-Meister

Let’s bring it all back home. Does it matter what it’s called if you like how it sounds?

Fenderdad1950 and dougstrum like this.
  10. Billy3

Billy3 Tele-Meister

If it doesn't say fender it's not fender! Tele styles are made by many. It's all good. Keep on pickin!!!!

11. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Nice blackguard BSB

12. Diytelecaster

Diytelecaster Tele-Meister

Reminds me of Triggers broom

StevieP, pikesville and Fenderdad1950 like this.
  13. warthog

warthog Tele-Meister

I like having the fender logo on my replica. I don't know who built it, not fender. It came with the logo but I paid a small amount for the guitar which was advertised as a replica copy. If I were to sell, I'd be upfront.

If it didn't have the logo, I wouldn't have cared, but since it's there, I like it.

It's not a fender and never will be, it's a replica copy of a 60s style tele. When people say, nice Fender, I say Nah, it's a copy. 20210120_200041.jpg

Fenderdad1950 likes this.
  14. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

Approaching from the other direction when does a Tele stop being a Fender in a “Triggers Broom” situation (as in I’ve had this broom man and boy, it’s had 12 new handles and 18 new heads....).
    If you start with a shiny new Fender Tele, and over several years you replace pickups, and the machine heads, a tank runs over the body so that gets replaced (as does the tank), then you’ve played it so much the neck needs to be replaced.... Is it still a Fender then?

StevieP likes this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I don't want to shame anyone, but to avoid shaming myself, I don't play or own mislabelled gear. I have, but no longer. I got tired of volunteering "its not a real ------", and it occurred to me, why am I doing this to myself, and others?

cjp60 and Fenderdad1950 like this.
  16. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Given distances in time and space I think if you're going to have this discussion and quibble about it you could make an argument that G&L ASATs are closer to real Fender Teles than any FMIC guitar made after the sale to CBS.

This thought occured to me the other day because I looked at the paperwork and "case candy" for my G&L, and the COA was signed by Phyllis Fender, and it seems if you have an older one they were signed by George Fullerton. The fact that Leo doesn't seem to have signed them also shows how silly this whole thing is.

It's a fairly silly discussion to have, and very silly to quibble there is something magic about a late model Fender vs similar guitars from other companies. The guitar with the Fender logo is very much just a "inspired by Fender" guitar too, they're made in a different city in a different factory with apparently no remaining employees who were around when Leo Fender was around.

Play the guitar you like...

truckerrik likes this.
  17. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

It seems the answer to "when does a Tele stop being a Fender" depends on whether you are buying or selling. But generally, a Fender guitar was made by or for Fender for resale.

There's so many great boutique "teles" out there, a better question would be "why does it matter?" If you like hand crafted electric guitars with exceptional hardware and set up to exacting standards you probably aren't going to look to Fender for your tele, anyway. I'd gladly trade my authentic Fender Telecaster for a Nash. I doubt the Nash owner would think it a fair trade, though.

USian Pie likes this.
  18. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

It is but it is now in the same manufacturing facility as epiphone:D

TeleUpNorth and JuneauMike like this.
  19. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

The neck is 70% (or more) of any guitar.
    The bridge, pickups and pots, 20%.
    The body 10% at best. A chunk of 40mm alder is just a chunk of 40mm alder.

If a guitar features a factory Fender neck it's a Fender.. a rebodied Fender, but a Fender nonetheless.
    A Fender body with A.N.Other neck? Call it whatever you like, but not a Fender in my book.

20. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Anything that is not made by Fender is a partscaster. Imho.

stepvan likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.