When does a Tele' become a Partscaster ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by titchy, Apr 26, 2016.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I've always wondered about this. I hear famous guitarists saying, "Yeah, the body was replaced in '79", and I'm like, isn't that most of the guitar? Is it even the same guitar at that point?

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Perhaps another way to look at this is say someone has an all original case queen from a magical early year that makes it worth $10,000 for a nice round number.

Someone does a repair/mod and the price drops
    refret ... -$1,000
    messed with solder joints ... -$3,000
    new volume pot ... -$1,000 (plus the mess with solder joints drop)
    new saddles ... -$200
    new body ... -$6,000
    new neck ... -4,000
    and so on for any part non-original

3. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

When you begin "Puttin' on the Ritz"...

4. PaisleyAddict

PaisleyAddict Tele-Meister

as soon as you change anything on the instrument beyond regular maintenance, it's a partscaster.

5. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Excatly how i feel, tho you are the first person i have seen say it. To me the body and neck are the guitar and everything else is like tires, oil brake pads to a car. Pretty much every guitar i get ends up with much if not all the electronics replaced because i hear the difference and what comes on a guitar usually isn't my fav version of it. Bridge, saddles, pots, switch etc etc. If i feel they could be a tonal improvement i will sawp it out with one of more till i find which appeals to me most. But to me it's the neck and body that gives the tone it's particular unique voice and no parts are going to make a body and neck that sound mediocre sound great, nor will bad parts make a great sounding body and neck sound horrible. They will adjust and can improve a already good voice much like a good mic will help a singer sound better over a really bad one, but no mic is gonna make mick jagger sound like steve perry or visa versa. When i buy a guitar, to me i'm buying a neck and body, but even if the parts are not doing it any favors i can tell if the wood has potential.

So to me when i buy a guitar i'm buting a neck and body that happen to fit my basic requirements and then the work begins. My latest one, a squier CVC limited in white has turned out to be my fav tele to date, and that included the fender branded stuff I have and have had. But literally the only part on it that is stock is the control plate and pickguard ! But now i have a tele i am as happy with as most any guitar i've owned because the wood is just great and the build is too. But if i swapped the body or neck it would be a partscaster. No amount of parts swapping of hardware and electronics IMO makes it a partscater any more than putting better tires, nice stereo, mags, etc etc on a porshe will make it anything other than a porche.Would it no longer be one if when the tire go you don't buy the stock brand/model?

Of course this question is 100% subjective and this is nothing more than my opinion, but to me it only becomes a partscaster when the neck or body are swapped. everything else are just tweaks and mods IMO.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  6. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Fender has done a good job in helping create partscasters with how they label them by the names they use for each model.

Example, if you have a Baja and need to now qualify it by saying, I have a Baja with a Warmorh neck. Then it would be a Partscaster. But if you change pickups, it's still a Baja. But with upgraded pickups.

Partscasters are fine. The value is intrinsic to the owner and the quality of the parts used.

Lynyrd Skynyrd is still Lynyrd Skynyrd even though today's band is different from the original. They still rock. A Partscaster is still a Telecaster and can be as good or better than a specific stock model sold by Fender.

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

All my Tele/Esquires are Tele/Esquires. They only become partscasters when its time to post or time to sell :D

8. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

I have a Baja with the neck from a MIM Cabronita. To me it's still a Tele, although I would declare the changes if I ever sold either that guitar or the donor without reinstating the original parts.

9. Treeface

Treeface Tele-Meister

I have a tele that is all original; except that one string tree fell out and was replaced. I guess if I ever try to sell it I'll have to disclose that it's a partscaster. ;)

10. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

+1. I don't think the issue is when it becomes a partscaster, so much as when it is no longer a factory made partscaster. I suppose the cut off point for that could start at the very first mod or the very last depending on how puritanical we want to be about it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If you have kept the original pups for safekeeping you're normally in pretty good shape.

I don't personally think we can establish a correlation between when a Partscaster begins and when the speculative value of the guitar goes down. If the guitar attained its maximum notoriety in Modified form then that form, not the original, is the one the bidder wants. If the original guitar is so neglected and degraded that it can't be played except in the crudest use of the word, I don't want it and neither IMO do a lot of would be buyers. If I have to destroy the value of the guitar to return it to true playing status, please let someone else take it - I don't need it.

12. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

The OP's tele is not a partscaster. My tele, though, is the got-dang Ship of Theseus. It started as a natural ash American Standard. I didn't like the thick plastic coating on the body so I replaced the body with an MJT sonic blue one-piece ash body. The new body was drilled for a vintage style bridge plate, so I put on a Fender bridge plate with brass saddles. I didn't like the saddles so I swapped them for Rutters compensated saddles. Somewhere along the way, I changed the tuners for vintage-style slot-head tuners, added a Bigsby B5, slotted the bridge plate for the Bigsby, put on a Mastery bridge and plate, an electrosocket jack cup, a mint green pickguard, then a parchment pickguard, and added a switch to bypass the tone and volume knobs. All of this happened over 10 years or so, gradually.

Still original: the neck (though the frets are getting pretty worn), the string tree, nut, pickups, neck plate and screws, pots, knobs, pickup switch, string ferrules (unused because of the Bigsby), strap buttons, caps, jack.

I don't like having more than a few guitars, so when I want a change, I change my main guitar. My only other electric guitar is a 1960 Supro Kingston that's mostly original (nut and tuners replaced). I don't care about resale value because I plan to completely wear out my tele or die trying.

13. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

Here's my tele I posted about above. It's name is Pilgrim.
    pilgrim.JPG

titchy, hellopike and Frito-Man like this.
  14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

here is a little known factoid... back in the late 50's and early 60's many of the Fender dealers carried ALL the parts necessary to assemble your own... they were just the standard parts used in any guitar made in Fullerton... necks and body correctly signed and dated... and that's first hand. Our local Fender dealer, Marvin Kay's Music center had 'em all laid out for us "kids" to peruse and drool over... I remember wondering How am I gonna get 49 bux for a Strat neck. Now.... what does that mean...

There are a lot of vintage guitars out there circulating that were assembled on kitchen tables... that never saw the assembly line on Valencia Drive.... are those partscasters too? and how would ya know....

How 'bout all the OEM original fenders that have been disassembles.. and reassembled... and how do they differ from a collection of parts from USACG or Warmoth etc?

Just sayin. . .

dkmw and King Creole like this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

My brother replaced the handle, and I replaced the head, but it's still the axe our father gave us.

phaedrus likes this.
  16. schmintan

schmintan Tele-Meister

17. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

If you have everything to build a guitar that has never been assembled before as one guitar it is a partscaster.. A 64 neck and body would be a heavily modified 64 telecaster.. Reminds of an interview in England where a guy writer asked Frank Zappa , I see you have long hair does that make you a woman ? Zappa answered , you have a wooden leg does that make you a table ?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.