When Does A Strat Sound Too Clean ?

stnmtthw

Friend of Leo's
Strats just bug me.
They’re comfortable, versatile and common as fleas.
They just don’t ever sound like me.
I have a nice Strat, I just very rarely play it.
It’s not the “cleanliness” that bugs me, it’s the overall “thinness” of it.
It also dislike the control layout.
It’s right in the way of my picking hand.
Grrrrr. ;)
Its hard for me to find a Strat I like- but when I do, they're some of my favorites. I've had probably 10 in my life, and only 2 that I've kept. I gave the old red MIM that I got for my high school graduation to my daughter, and kept the new blue American Performer for myself.

gtroates

Tele-Holic
I was in top 40 bands playing dances, house parties, bars, and Fraternity parties throughout the 1980s. Other than the occasional distorted songs, most of the New Wave era songs that had strats used clean tones. They were almost always with some chorus and compression added. Think Miami Sound Machine, INXS, Chic, Dire Straits, Madonna songs, The Fixx, etc.

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
Way back in the mid-90s, I was playing with a bar band, and we did 'Sultans of Swing'. I sang it and played the lead guitar, on a Strat with some comp and delay added. One night, a guitar player who had played in a hard rock band with our drummer came out to see us. On the break, he complimented me on 'Sultans', and said, "Wow...I never knew you could play a solo without distortion."

:rolleyes: