When Do You Toss Out a Pick?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by tele-rain, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I use the same Herco thumbpick and a Tortex flat pick. I like them. I'm experimenting with picks so I have so many of them now that I don't see them wearing out. On some days my thumb is a little chunkier than others so I switch picks for those occasions.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

It's been a longtime ago now, but I think I got the Herco Thumbpick idea reading a guitar mag feature on Doc Watson, one of my idols. I really love his ' authority ' of his picking- try to emulate, on a much more 'rudimentary' level...
    These picks last about a month or two for me as I switch back and forth with flatpicks at gigs and home.
    Just instantly comfy for me!

Toast likes this.
  3. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly TDPRI Member

I bought two blue chip TD 50s a few years ago at bluegrass festival. I use them on both acoustic and electric. I have yet to see any noticeable wear. Because they were so expensive I’ve done a great job of keeping track of them! They are worth it to me because they’re the only pic that I can get a really good grip on. No slip.

Toast likes this.
  4. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I know that eventually I want to go down the road of some finger style playing so I figured I'd just get used to playing with a thumbpick now. I like the Herco because it's still feels like a regular flat pick. My problem with thumbpicks has been finding ones that are less bright sounding. I wish I could find one made from Tortex. I understand that with an instrument like a banjo you might want a bright ring from your strings, but the sound dynamics on a guitar are different. I suspect a lot of thumb picks are designed more for banjo players, but I don't have enough experience to know.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I want to check out the blue chips, but I don't feel like I've really defined the kind of thumb pick I want yet. I wish I could try the picks in a shop somewhere, but I haven't been able to find any dealers around me. With guitars and picks over $10, I'm a try before I buy kinda guy.

highgreenchilly likes this.
  6. frankjc

frankjc TDPRI Member

Once the tip starts to wear I'm done with them. I don't like worn picks at all. I use the purple thick tortex picks and I love them. They last a long time. I don't even throw out the worn ones, I keep them in a jar. Why?, I do not know.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Why I never wear socks.

8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

You could send em to me, those are the same picks I use. Nothing sounds like purple. I dress the tips a bit with an emery board and keep using them, I like a rounded tip.

9. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Meister

I use a bass pick because they don't slip out of my fat fingers, they are also very thick which i like. so unless i lose one i can have these for at least a year or two believe it or not. jim-dunlop-431-triangle-tortex-114mm-purple-bass-pick.jpg

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

For those curious about the Herco Thumbpick/Flatpick as that is EXACTLY what it is!
    Perfect fit, comfy, and just great for switching back and forth between picking styles in the same tune
    ( you can choose from Light to Ex.Heavy gauge) Love 'em!
    20190303_090644.jpg

Toast likes this.
  11. TwangBrain

TwangBrain TDPRI Member

Never!!! They either break, find their way to friends, or get lost on a job.

12. fretWalkr

fretWalkr TDPRI Member

I used the same Fender heavies for years. They do break and wear but that is after alot of playing. When I was playing 4-5 hours a night 6 days I would wear out many. Doing a pick slide down the neck will nick them, not that I've every done anything that showy :). I switched to dunlop nylons which never seemed to wear out or break. I'm back to Fenders because I like the sound better.

I think your situation is probably a right hand issue. As someone else said, slow down and make sure you're making good contact. And BTW use a metronome...good rhythm is the most important habit you can every develop.

13. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

The only picks I've tossed have broken. The only picks I have broken are old Fender mediums from the 60s. I almost never lose a pick.

14. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Whaddya know....

You won't believe this....but, I was practicing yesterday afternoon.
    Put down axe....turn on Nady wireless....pick up axe....pick is gone...."another one (bright white Fender medium) bites the dust"

I spent a few minutes looking for the Hobbit Halfling that made off with it but no luck.
    Good thing I had another pack of a dozen.

That's it....back to topic....

P Thought likes this.
  15. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

UPDATE.....I'm sure all are terribly interested.

I found my pick yesterday.

What do you suppose fell out of my right shoe?....yep...you guessed it.
    That Hobbit Halfling sure has a great sense of humor....he's such a hoot. :)

Back to it....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.