When Do You Toss Out a Pick?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by tele-rain, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I use the same Herco thumbpick and a Tortex flat pick. I like them. I'm experimenting with picks so I have so many of them now that I don't see them wearing out. On some days my thumb is a little chunkier than others so I switch picks for those occasions.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  2. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

It's been a longtime ago now, but I think I got the Herco Thumbpick idea reading a guitar mag feature on Doc Watson, one of my idols. I really love his ' authority ' of his picking- try to emulate, on a much more 'rudimentary' level...
    These picks last about a month or two for me as I switch back and forth with flatpicks at gigs and home.
    Just instantly comfy for me!

Toast likes this.
  3. highgreenchilly

highgreenchilly Tele-Meister

I bought two blue chip TD 50s a few years ago at bluegrass festival. I use them on both acoustic and electric. I have yet to see any noticeable wear. Because they were so expensive I’ve done a great job of keeping track of them! They are worth it to me because they’re the only pic that I can get a really good grip on. No slip.

Toast likes this.
  4. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I know that eventually I want to go down the road of some finger style playing so I figured I'd just get used to playing with a thumbpick now. I like the Herco because it's still feels like a regular flat pick. My problem with thumbpicks has been finding ones that are less bright sounding. I wish I could find one made from Tortex. I understand that with an instrument like a banjo you might want a bright ring from your strings, but the sound dynamics on a guitar are different. I suspect a lot of thumb picks are designed more for banjo players, but I don't have enough experience to know.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  5. Toast

Toast Tele-Afflicted

I want to check out the blue chips, but I don't feel like I've really defined the kind of thumb pick I want yet. I wish I could try the picks in a shop somewhere, but I haven't been able to find any dealers around me. With guitars and picks over $10, I'm a try before I buy kinda guy.

highgreenchilly likes this.
  6. frankjc

frankjc TDPRI Member

Once the tip starts to wear I'm done with them. I don't like worn picks at all. I use the purple thick tortex picks and I love them. They last a long time. I don't even throw out the worn ones, I keep them in a jar. Why?, I do not know.

Skydog1010 likes this.
  7. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Why I never wear socks.

8. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

You could send em to me, those are the same picks I use. Nothing sounds like purple. I dress the tips a bit with an emery board and keep using them, I like a rounded tip.

9. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

I use a bass pick because they don't slip out of my fat fingers, they are also very thick which i like. so unless i lose one i can have these for at least a year or two believe it or not. jim-dunlop-431-triangle-tortex-114mm-purple-bass-pick.jpg

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

For those curious about the Herco Thumbpick/Flatpick as that is EXACTLY what it is!
    Perfect fit, comfy, and just great for switching back and forth between picking styles in the same tune
    ( you can choose from Light to Ex.Heavy gauge) Love 'em!
    20190303_090644.jpg

Toast likes this.
  11. TwangBrain

TwangBrain Tele-Meister

Never!!! They either break, find their way to friends, or get lost on a job.

12. fretWalkr

fretWalkr Tele-Meister

I used the same Fender heavies for years. They do break and wear but that is after alot of playing. When I was playing 4-5 hours a night 6 days I would wear out many. Doing a pick slide down the neck will nick them, not that I've every done anything that showy :). I switched to dunlop nylons which never seemed to wear out or break. I'm back to Fenders because I like the sound better.

I think your situation is probably a right hand issue. As someone else said, slow down and make sure you're making good contact. And BTW use a metronome...good rhythm is the most important habit you can every develop.

13. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

The only picks I've tossed have broken. The only picks I have broken are old Fender mediums from the 60s. I almost never lose a pick.

14. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Whaddya know....

You won't believe this....but, I was practicing yesterday afternoon.
    Put down axe....turn on Nady wireless....pick up axe....pick is gone...."another one (bright white Fender medium) bites the dust"

I spent a few minutes looking for the Hobbit Halfling that made off with it but no luck.
    Good thing I had another pack of a dozen.

That's it....back to topic....

P Thought likes this.
  15. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

UPDATE.....I'm sure all are terribly interested.

I found my pick yesterday.

What do you suppose fell out of my right shoe?....yep...you guessed it.
    That Hobbit Halfling sure has a great sense of humor....he's such a hoot. :)

Back to it....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.