When Do You Toss Out a Pick?

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by tele-rain, Jul 3, 2019.

1. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wait, did the OP literally mean throw picks in the trash?

Inconceivable!

2. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I usually lose them long before I get the idea of throwing one away...:rolleyes:

though, being mostly a finger style player on Guitar and Bass,,, I don't miss the ones that go missing...:D

3. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Meister

I'm mostly a finger picker but I did notice my old acoustic ate more picks than always came out.

I once suspected it contained worm hole to another dimension so I stopped reading as many sci-fi books.

4. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

me too either

5. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

No. They get lost well before I wear them to the point that they could possibly be limiting my playing (which ain't great to begin with!). :)

6. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Meister

Absolutely not until I lose it.

7. ASATKat

ASATKat Tele-Afflicted

I guess I'm like most people, I lose them.

8. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Never. Mine get lost which is why I have dozens of them around.

9. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

+1 Fiesta Red. Pick-free since '93.

10. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I keep picks for a long time. I mostly play a Herdim nylon pick that is a teardrop shaped mandolin pick. I am still using the first one I bought 3 years ago when I bought 6 of them. A great sounding pick. My fall back plectrum would be a red Dunlop Jazz III. I have been using those off and on since the early 80's. Those also last a good long time. I like nylon picks because they last a long time and they are rarely dull sounding. I have been messing around with Dava picks which are super cool and versatile. The ability to change the tension of the pick by where it's held is a genius idea.

My advice to the original poster is to try out a few different picks with different thicknesses and materials until you find one that you bond with.

11. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

When mine wear, I file them, when they finally get too small I throw them away. A Dunlop 3mm Stubby lasts for years...

12. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I just use cheap celluloid .4mm picks, and use them until I either lose them, (most common), or they start to crack, (also common), catching on the strings. I really like the feel of these cheapo picks, they don't last all that long, but they are cheap, and feel right, (for me anyway). I usually buy in 72 packs. I go through a lot of picks...LOL

There are instances where I need to use a stiffer pick, in that case I use Dunlop Tortex .6mm, still quite flexible, but stiff enough to really dig in.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  13. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

....about once a week,but I don't throw them....my wifes a music teacher so if they don't vanish I'll hold them and pass them when there's about 10 of them....the life cycle is new,going,gone.... DSCN3260.JPG

14. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

Toward the end of the solo in "Dream Police", 2:17 or so.

15. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Not unlike Rick Neilsen, I tend to give them away.

I'm sentimental, and I'm a giver.

:)

6e2633c9-1ec8-43c4-8f80-5ef7a88c3a2d.jpeg

16. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Meister

I do play in a very similar way with my right hand.
    It is also great with hybrid picking technique when you do not want too much difference in tone between the pick and the fingers.

Hybrid picking can actually solve part of the OP's problem since you do not have so much the need to "jump" between non contiguous strings with your picking hand.

At last, a good exercise for jumping between strings is the guitar arpeggio from Street Spirit by Radiohead.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  17. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

There are two problems here ... (Am I man-splaining? Really, am I?) First, there's the technique question. Yes, your issue is your technique, not your pick size/shape. Second, a rounded pick sounds fine, but if a pick seems suspicious, toss it ... they're cheap.

I bought a gross of Fender small teardrop jazz picks about 30-something years ago. Lost them one by one in just a few years.

About pick technique, there are a few things that can help, but these changes require dedication and practice. Bad habits are nearly impossible to break.

18. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

They did change the solid colors. I used to use white also. Suddenly it was like they were made out of ping pong ball stock. They crack too. Solution? Try the "Moto" colors. Different formula. Smooth, no cracks or notches.

19. Rjelecaster

Rjelecaster Tele-Meister

When a pick has lost its mojo, its Old Yeller time.

20. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

I throw out any pick that isn't a "Dunlop Primetone Small Triangle 1.3mm Sculpted Plectra". Smaller stiffer picks improved my accuracy substantially. Sculpted picks make thicker picks as easy as thin picks but with the accuracy of a thick pick. These picks are about $2 each but they last a long time. They are similar but maybe not quite as good as $35 Blue Chip picks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.