1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When do you remove your (real) Xmas tree?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BigDaddyLH, Dec 30, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

On a related note, when do you put your tree up? I'm old enough to remember watching "The Homecoming." That was the movie that gave birth to The Waltons. Anyhow, they went out to the woods and cut down a tree on the day before Christmas. That was just in time for the 12-day season, though I doubt Virginia Baptists were big on church "seasons."

On an unrelated note, my mother's family tradition (Armenian) was to exchange gifts not on Christmas but on Epiphany (January 6) in connection with the Gospel story about the astrologers who brought gifts for Jesus.

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

This is the first tree we've had since I moved here 6 years ago and my wife hasn't had a tree for at least 20 years. We plan to keep it watered and happy until it gets too dry and starts dropping a lot of needles. We don't care when that is and won't hold the tree to a schedule.

Obsessed likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My wife is from the Prairies, where there are a lot of Ukrainian-Canadians. Their big day is January 6th, or "Bargain Christmas", because you can shop for your presents in Boxing Day sales :lol:

[​IMG]

Bob Arbogast likes this.
  4. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Pretty sure it was 1992.

5. natec

natec Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This for us as well. This last year we bought our tree the Friday after Thanksgiving, and it dried out faster than any other year. I cut it up for compost on the 26th.

Christmas lights are an entirely other story - those stay up until March or even later. We're "that house".

6. hotraman

hotraman Tele-Afflicted

We have the Boy Scouts come by to pick up and recycle trees by the first Saturday after New Years. Way too early for my wife to take ornaments off.
    And we were late in getting our tree this year.
    So we are keeping it up, until mid Jan or so.
    We are in no hurry.

Obsessed likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

When I get a tree (rare these days): Goes up Christmas Eve, during the family gathering. Followed by presents at midnight and staying up late. Comes down the morning after 12th Night. We celebrate 12th Night January 6, so the tree comes down on Jan. 7.

Bob Arbogast likes this.
  8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I live in the country. When I did put up a real tree, I’d take it down a couple of days after Christmas and set it outside to dry out. Then on New Years Eve I’d buy a bunch of fireworks and set the tree out in the middle of the yard and shoot rockets through it and watch it burn.

archetype likes this.
  9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

We put ours up on the Sunday after thanksgiving.
    Generally take it down on the weekend before the kids go back to school.

10. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

My mother was adamant that the tree had to remain in place till 6th January, but we tend to be flexible, any time after New Year’s Day.
    This year with the weekend, it won’t survive any later than Sunday

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Artificial tree here and that's all we've used for decades. When I was a kid and had real trees, my Dad would take it down sometime during the week after Christmas and, as I recall, a neighbor would mulch it up. The annoying thing was that we had to remove as much tinsel from it as possible.

12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I remove mine the day before Christmas. I take it with all the decorations still on it and throw it into the middle of the front yard.

Doing this sort of thing makes the neighbors avoid me, which is just how I like it.

electrichead likes this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

As a youngster, one of the best days of the year was when our Boy Scout troop loaded in back of a huge flatbed stake truck, would travel all over the city collecting Xmas trees brought out to the curb and then take them to the dump's slash burn pile.

14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My next door neighbour is an active member of the Lions Club and he told me one year they had a Xmas tree pick-up fundraiser. The problem was that it coincided with an ice storm. Trees were half buried in snow banks where they were tossed then cemented in with ice. Each one had to be chipped out.

Obsessed likes this.
  15. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

:eek:

My experience was in the S.F. Bay Area, so no ice issues, but we made Xmas wreaths and then sold them door to door for our fundraiser before Xmas. Then we did the tree pickup as community service.

16. Note

Note TDPRI Member

I'm from Eastern Europe. There is tradition to remove christmas tree, after day called "three kings"(three kings come to Jesus with presents...), January 6, or first weekend after that if you are tired... :)

17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

In another thread @getbent and I just affirmed wife's and daughters as "doers". That's the answer. My guess is a specific look and tone will occur 1/1/21 and it will be gone. Then the smarter among men in the house will do some cleaning.

Some of our beloved members here would call some of us whipped but I like 3+ decades with an awesome woman. It's more fun and funny when you see the best and worst of the parents in the kids.

18. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

CHRISTMAS TREE? what's that?

19. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Early on Independence Day. By that time it’s so dry that we worry about the fireworks that evening igniting it.

20. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

Haven't had a real tree for about 20 years. When we did, we left one in the house far too long, ONCE. I took it into the back yard and out of curiosity, we put a match to it. Our house was a three-story Victorian, but for about five seconds, the flames from that tree roared up a good 15 feet higher than the house. Neighbors on the other side of the street saw the flames over the roof.

We never allowed a tree to dry out again after that.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.