When do you decide to move on from a guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Minivan Megafun, May 28, 2020.

1. Jimclarke100

Jimclarke100 Tele-Afflicted

For me the only time I had a guitar where I had to think about selling was with my Ric. I got that new in 1993 and it was my forever guitar. It was my absolute go to for 15 years but then life changed...

I was not in a band any more and was tending to play acoustic more and more. The Ric went into its case and under the bed - if I was playing electric ever it was a Tele. Every so often it would come out onto the rack where it would sit unplayed, and eventually go back in its case.

Last year I was looking for a good acoustic, and fell for a 000-18. I needed to sell something to make space. The Ric was the most valuable guitar I had, and was not being played and so my forever guitar was sold - actually to a guy looking for a birth year guitar (that made me feel old I have to say).

No qualms and no regrets; I guess it was time. Just happy it has gone to someone who loves it...

dogrocketp and Minivan Megafun like this.
  2. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Minimalist? Sell it... Not a minimalist? Keep it...

modavis99, Pixies2005 and Obsessed like this.
  3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

I do have 2 "gift" guitars. my SG was a partial gift, and my acoustic was a Christmas gift from my wife. Neither of those will leave the stable in my lifetime.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I've got somewhere around 40 guitars (depending on how you count non-working/partial projects and ones out on loan). I like to rotate them in and out of my "first string" line up of about 5 guitars. I rotate them about every 6 months or so although I'll usually have a #1 and #2 that stick through several rotations.

Jay Jernigan, DHart and nicknklv like this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

PERVERT!

dogrocketp and brookdalebill like this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

For me, when it costs more to fix it than what it's worth to replace it. Played my Yamaha RGZ for 25 years. It's now on the 'retirement' pile. I can't sell it - it's worth nothing, and I don't want to throw it out. But I bought my telecaster which I love dearly, and then bought a second tele and a Gretsch. I will keep all of them, I hope.

7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I never sold a guitar. I had a couple that ended up in the dumpster that were worthless. That was when I was younger. A Conn acoustic probably could have been repaired, but I didn’t know how to make repairs back then.

When I grow tired of playing a certain guitar, it goes back in the case for a long, or maybe not so long, rest. It does get boring playing the same old one day in and day out. So, I switch them out every couple of weeks.

@1293 I agree with ya there! If I buy a guitar, it’s a keeper.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    beagle likes this.
  8. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I’ll give a guitar at least a year after a good setup, as long as it stays in tune.

“Feel” is the most important thing to me—if a guitar doesn’t “feel” right, it won’t stay in the guitarsenal.

However, I’ll give it some time, because an “unfamiliar” guitar sometimes needs a little bonding time to make it feel familiar...if I still haven’t bonded with it after a year, it’ll be gone.

dogrocketp and Pixies2005 like this.
  9. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

Recently sold a nice French made Gypsy Jazz Guitar.
    I went in deep Django a few years back.
    but anything I’d play would be a pale imitation of the GJ greats.
    So best i moved it on for someone else to try.

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

"Workhorse" guitars..."First string" guitars... I hadn't thought of putting it in just those terms, but I relate. For gigging purposes, I have certain guitars that I consistently chose for the job. One of two teles and one acoustic/electric almost always get the gig. And since no pics have yet been posted here, let me break the ice with pics of these "first stringers"...

From 2011-2019, my go-to gigging tele was this Logan Custom BSB.
    [​IMG]

The swamp ash body is really light, and it's hard to tell it from that pic, but there is some nice figuring in the maple neck. Bob Logan's stainless steel straight plate bridge plate is my favorite. The pickups are DiMarzio Twang Kings, which are my favorites. And with the 4-way switch giving me the standard tele switching options plus both pickups in series, the guitar is almost endlessly versatile.

Then a year ago, I had Bob Logan build this guitar from lumber salvaged from our house fire. It's my "Firecaster." (Well, actually, it's one of two Firecasters. See avatar pic.)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Besides being a real looker, which is helpful at gigs (and I need all the help I can get) this guitar is even lighter than the BSB. And it has the same bridge plate, pickups and 4-way switch as the BSB, so it's familiar and just as versatile. So this is my new go-to gigging tele, but the BSB is a great backup.

As for an acoustic/electric for gigs, my Logan Custom a/e tele is a great player, and again, also a looker...
    [​IMG]

My other guitars definitely get played at home (around the house or on the back deck) and/or on camping trips. So they're not going to be rotated out of my collection. Well, actually, last year I bought an older Korean-made Peavey Raptor Plus (a strat copy), but as much as I've tried, I just don't get on with strat style guitars, so I will be selling it.

11. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

I personally have gotten to the point where my collection is really good and varied in guitar models and brands.

It's taken me years to build up my collection to where it is now.

I usually buy 4-8 guitars a year and put them through their paces for a few months.

At that time I reevaluate those same guitars, and move the ones that just don't quite live up to my expectations.

Most of the guitars in my collection right now are keepers, so I really haven't been buying as many to add to the collection.

I've sort of changed my mindset lately to buying guitars.

I'm now looking for good quality guitars I can buy for really cheap, that I don't particularly want in my collection,but can flip for a good profit.

I can then used the funds to buy guitars I'd want to add to the collection in the future.

12. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

Its better to have something to regret than nothing to remember!

Obsessed likes this.
  13. Retrobob

Retrobob Tele-Meister

Its been a revolving door here. I have had guitars I thought I would never sell.
    They are gone. Have different ones now. I like them, so I'm keeping them.... at least for now.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  14. Twin52

Twin52 TDPRI Member

If purchased Online, when I dont bond with it.
    Otherwise, to fund a new purchase of some kind.
    I’ve also sold things I never thought I would let go. I had a Gibson Lucille and a Fender Amp for over 20 years but they both became too heavy for me. I turned them into an Anderson Hollow T (HSH) a Les Paul and a Princeton. Covers a lot of ground... The Anderson is around 6 pounds. Next I’m Trading in my 10 gauge strings for 9s, old age...

dogrocketp likes this.
  15. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Honestly, I’m very careful with what I buy anyway. I have three main guitars - one I got when I was 18 from my father which is an epi LP in which I installed EMGs, a P90 loaded Gibson I bought almost 5 years ago and a squier esquire I recently bought back in Nov when they first came out.

I don’t play the Epi lp as much because of its age but it serves a purpose. It’s my heavy guitar.

with my other two main axes, I like them so much right now and they’re unique enough for me to predict that I will not ever sell them.

my problem is amps. The sound of my amps uninspires me so fast.

currently my boss katana is under question as I want a more tube sounding platform. Also it doesn’t sound great to record with which is critical to me as I produce a lot of demos. Micing the cab is out of the question as I live in shared accommodation.

This amp is good because it goes whisper quiet, but also ultra loud as it’s 100W, it also provides reasonable recording. But not great. However I use it so much it’s making me want something more and I just don’t know.

I would need a whisper quiet tube amp that does heavy distortion and nice cleans. Any suggestions?

16. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

All my guitars are workhouse.

I just keep what I use. The only extra guitar I keep that I don't gig is my first guitar, my old Spanish guitar and even that one is my "go to" party guitar

stormsedge likes this.
  17. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Meister

I'm currently modding a cheapie Strat copy with new pups. Tried an HSS prewired guard but the basically none of the holes match. So I decided to slap a Hot rails copy in the bridge. First time doing this, and I don't think I re-soldered to the output jack correctly. Round 2 is scheduled for tonight.

I like this concept. Sounds a bit like a hockey team. Your forwards stay while you switch your defenders. :D

18. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

"When do you decide to move on from a guitar?"

When we no longer feel we have anything to say to each other. When doing things together seems like a chore. I'll always love my guitars in some way, and it's because I love them that I will let them go. Whatever it takes to ensure their happiness, even if that means denying my own.

dogrocketp likes this.
  19. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

I always get rid of a guitar, not because I don’t have the use for it anymore, but because it does not give me inspiration any longer.
    As long as there is inspiration, there is the need IMO.
    The only guitar that was still giving me inspiration but was sold nonetheless, it was so unbalanced that it was giving me neck and back pain.

As for what to do with such a guitar, I would say:
    - If it has given you inspiration in the past, try and keep it, but store it in its case: some day it will inspire you again.
    - But if it has never really given you anything, sell it.
    IME, switching pickups and parts often ends up being a waste of time and money, unless you have a specific issue to address on the guitar.

20. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

But modding is fun and you get to learn something.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.