When do you decide to move on from a guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Minivan Megafun, May 28, 2020.

1. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

Many of us have been there. You've had a particular guitar for some years. At one time it was a prized possession and it did exactly what you needed it to. But lately you realize you barely play it anymore. You have to actually remind yourself to play that one once in a while because you've got another guitar that you reach for now.

So how do you handle this? Sell the guitar and move on to something new? Modify it (say, new pickups) to change it up and hopefully it captures your inspiration again? Or keep it because why shouldn't you have it?

Curious to hear some perspectives on this.

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    Pixies2005 likes this.
  2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Buy a new one to keep them company.

3. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I’ve had sellers regret more than a couple times, I have a strat that pretty well matches your description. It’s a good guitar, but I have others now that I reach for much more frequently. But I know as soon as it’s gone, I’m going to want to play it. I use it as a mod platform and trying out new pickups/ideas. Works well for that. Ultimately I want to liars it up with some higher output pickups in either an HSH or an H/P90 setup. But, until then... she sits in the closet being anything but a queen.

4. AlbertoMilanese

AlbertoMilanese Tele-Meister

Depends - if it's an expensive or 'collectible' one and I've fallen out of love with it, I'll leave it as is in order not to hurt resale value.

If it's a normal or cheapie, I'll do some modding to see if things change.

Either way, most of the time, I end up selling. Once the love has died, it stays dead in most cases.

Digital Larry and Obsessed like this.
  5. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Holic

I usually decide to move on from a guitar when I have higher financial priorities than the guitar. I have come to the conclusion that guitars, gear, and such is just stuff, and if I need to move something to provide for my family I will do so. Fortunately, that hasn't happened in quite a while and I hope I never have to sell again for that reason. I have had a couple that were a little hard to part with, an SRV signature strat and a Jackson PC-3 Phil Collen signature guitar, the Japanese-built one, but in the end it was just stuff. I have traded a couple I couldn't bond with, and I have been fortunate to make a profit on every sale or trade.

6. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

I usually sell one to finance another, especially if it's one I haven't been playing much.

7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I don't know, it's never happened yet.

Ebidis, Skub, Lance Morgan and 6 others like this.
  8. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't buy things I won't want to keep forever.

9. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

If I acquire another guitar that fulfills a similar musical function that I use as a replacement, then I'll get rid of a piece of equipment.

For example, I had an EJ Strat, loved it, thought it was a great guitar, and I heartily recommend to anyone who wants a flattish fretboard and hot pickups. I built a partscaster that fulfilled the same functions, that I was using for the same musical parts, and moved on from the EJ.

The next Strat I added was a 7.25" partscaster with SSL-1's, so there was no overlap, and hence didn't sell anything.

The same is true of basses, amps, other guitars, etc. It's a question of musical function.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  10. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I don't approach it that way. I don't do much guitar buying/selling, concentrating more on playing better. A different guitar is not going to make me better. I have a few for tonal variety. My avatar guitar was purchased in 1986.

Bill Sheehan and DekeDog like this.
  11. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Dented has the right idea here. :twisted:

Kidding...sort of...:oops:

My perspective or take on this--maybe history is a better word here--is to keep it. I don't often sell guitars. I have given some away, which eliminates the SRS factor (Seller's Remorse Syndrome). In that scenario, when I remember a guitar that's no longer in my possession, the fact that a good friend or family member has it makes it a fond memory, with no regrets.

I presently have 16 guitars, the most recent acquisition I bought just 10 days ago. As is usual for me, the new addition to the fold gets the most play...for a while. I've only played one other of my 16 guitars since buying the "new" one. (Not "new" really, since it's 67 years old.) But that'll change soon. I have a gig Saturday night, and the "newbie" isn't right for the gig. I'll be taking two others to the gig, and I need to start practicing on the guitars I'll use at the gig.

I can relate somewhat to @gregulator450 and his perspective that guitars and gear can fall into the category of "stuff," and that selling is the right course of action if financial need necessitates it. I was kinda in that position after a heart attack and subsequent quadruple bypass surgery about 6 years ago. I sold off a PA system, 3 guitars and 2-3 amps. One of those guitars I bought like a year before to flip, so that one didn't hurt. But one I still have seller's remorse over.

Another factor here is gift guitars. Some of my 16 guitars were gifts, so they represent more than just "stuff." One of those gift guitars is also the guitar I've had the longest, 37 years. The sentimentality of the gift aspect combined with nearly four decades since of guitar playing history means I'll never sell it, and I've got several guitar-playing family members that want it. I honestly don't know how I could decide between them. I may just make a provision in my will that they have to arm wrestle for it. Or else I'll just leave that decision to my wife after I'm gone. :twisted:

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Respectfully, I don't quite agree. Oh, I agree that playing the thing is ultimately what it comes down to for becoming a better guitar player. But a guitar can make you play better, for several reasons. If you get one with the right feel to it, everything you played before that can feel new, be more cleanly executed, reaches might be easier, etc. And the newness and/or versatility it adds to your guitarsenal makes you play more, which translates into getting better.

13. PARCO

PARCO Tele-Meister

I have an American Special Telecaster that I really like. I found a Hwy 1 Telecaster on Craigslist for a very good price and I bought it. I played them both for a few months but after awhile I had to admit that the HWY 1 was not really as good as the American Special. It played stiffer, it didn't sustain as well and tone wise it wasn't quite as good. If I didn't have the American Special to compare it to I would probably be very satisfied with the Hwy 1. They were close but the Am Special was a little better in every way so I sold the Hwy 1.

dogrocketp likes this.
  14. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Afflicted

Just list it and if you get good offers than let it go. Replace it with something that inspires you.

Pixies2005 and richiek65 like this.
  15. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I have way too much experience with this...

Ive owned probably 50 or so guitars by this point, and I’ve never kept more than 4 at a time, usually less than that. When my tastes have changed, I’ve sold or traded what I had to get the next thing.

It’s been a cycle, I’m trying to settle into what I’ve got and stop the cycle. There will always be something else that’s cool that comes up, it can get exhausting to keep looking for the next best thing.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  16. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’m very guitar-promiscuous.
    I have 4 real workhorses, and 8 others, for fun.
    I really enjoy trying different guitars and basses.
    I’ve been doing it since I was 12.
    That’s almost 51 years.
    I hope to never quit.
    What makes me “move on” is not playing an instrument for about 6 months.
    All my instruments are in my good graces, presently.

dogrocketp, Pixies2005 and Fiesta Red like this.
  17. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Some combination of wanting different stuff and not liking the current guitar as much as I hoped, and a random factor. If there is a formula I want to know it, as I'm suffering some remorse from my last sale right this minute...

Pixies2005 likes this.
  18. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

Unless it's very sentimental, IE a guitar from a family member, if I don't play it then it's getting sold. No use (for me at least) having musical instruments that are never seen/played/enjoyed by anyone.

This attitude has taught me the importance of buying used, because it gets silly pretty quick if you're buying guitars at retail just to sell them at a loss a few months later.

Pixies2005 and Ron Likes Teles like this.
  19. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

A relationship with a guitar could be just as daunting
    as a relationship with a significant other.

After a few years of playing hard, you might get a little
    itch to try something a bit different.

So, you can spend some money to buy different bolt on parts,
    much like some wives might buy a different color wig or a man
    buys a rug to better stylize his comb over.

Same with guitar, you can venture out and try different guitars
    with the same results every time, you either end up abandoning them
    or sell them down the river or store them in the closet.

An old guitar with modern sounding pups reminds me never to grow old.

[​IMG]

Ron Likes Teles likes this.
  20. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Holic

To this day, I've never really been a "gear head," nor have I ever really wanted to make music a profession. I just want to make music. I've gravitated from one guitar to another just to experience the variety and explore what each had to offer. I'd play a new guitar for one to four years and move on. I've never gotten rid of a quality guitar that I've bonded with, and today, I have no GAS issues. I have four guitars that I'm very satisfied with, and I usually spend a complete session playing one of those four, depending on my mood. I'm usually very motivated to pick one of them up and play it.

Ten years ago, I'd have told you that I'd never own a Tele. But I had an opportunity to trade for a 2007 AS Tele to get rid a guitar I couldn't bond with. After a year with that Tele, I kinda lost interest in it. But I installed some Fralin Steel Pole 42s, and I absolutely love that guitar now. So yeah, I've bought new guitars and changed out pickups on others, but I think I'm settled on a rotation that pleases me now.

I will say that I just placed an order for a Fender Tone Master Deluxe Reverb amp based on reviews here, on Sweetwater, and on youtube. I've decided that I want a better SS amp, and that is probably my best option these days. I'll be getting rid of a Roland 80XL Cube that I bought around 15 years ago just for its clean channel and its relatively long looping capability.

lestbrown and Ron Likes Teles like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.