1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When did you realize you were a Tele man to the core?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Pickalittle, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Pickalittle

Pickalittle Tele-Holic

I must admit I got itchy fingers lately and started looking at Strats, SG's, LP's and such. This had a lot to do with some of what my favorite blues players were playing. But after doing a couple of sets tonight and a few more tomorrow, realized that I really am a Tele man through and through. I went wondering like a prodigal son and realized I really am at home with the Telecaster. To be honest it feels good to know that I was right where I was supposed to be with my sound with the Tele.
    When did you realize you were a Tele man?

2. markinlondon

markinlondon Tele-Meister

When I last took my strat out of the case and thought "what was I doing playing these for twenty-odd years?". I think it was the MIM Classic 50s that turned my head about five years ago. I took it out for a couple of gigs with a Blues Jr and realised I didn't actually need anything else.

3. skinny ted

skinny ted TDPRI Member

i heard what gatton and buchanan were doing with their teles, with bacially nothing but reverb, i started paying more attention to mine. since then the beloved strats have been getting a little dusty.

the fact the its a working mans guitar also made me fall in love ith them. its unforgiving, and makes you dig in to get what you wanna hear.

4. Darcy Hoover

Darcy Hoover Tele-Holic

All my favorite Blues guys played Strats, so I played Strats, and never much liked Teles....until I played one. I keep trying to go back to Strats, but my ear just won't let it happen for very long. That first month with a Tele, after spending an hour trying to get reacquainted to one of my favourite Strats, I knew I was a Tele guy.

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In fact the first time I saw a picture of a Tele (on the cover of the Shadows' first album). I hadn't even started playing at the time ('61/'62)

It was confirmed when I saw Steve Cropper with one ('63).

Got one myself in '67 (red) and another one in '69 (blonde).

I had my LP period in the first half of the 70's though, but I never bonded with it the way I did with the Tele.

6. hugo

hugo Former Member

I must be going thru a transition? Lately I've been buying different guitars. I just feel they're all works of art and are beautiful in their own way. So, awhile ago I got a Epi 57 Reissue with a P90, a 1970's Reissue Strat with the large headstock and a Hagstrom "Swede". I also have a Hagstrom Ultra Lux (LP style body) on hold.
    Now I'm out yesterday checking what's out there and all I can think about is this inexpensive Fender Standard Tele in beautiful white with the W/B/W pickguard. Now I'm thinking why didn't I just get the tele? I mean I've bought these guitars but always had the white tele on my mind. I still do. Now I suppose I gotta get it. I should've known better, I just love teles.
    So, from here on it's Tele's.
    Are you guys talking just Tele's or Fender/Squier tele's?
    I saw a Custom Shop tele on the wall of the guitar shop here. It's a metallic pewter with a parchment pickguard and a rosewood fretboard. It has a humbucker in the neck position and a single coil in the bridge position. It's used and I think they want 1100.00 for it. It doesn't look used at all, it's mint.
    Now what am I gonna do? I don't have the cash for all three. I can afford the custom or the other two. What is a boy to do? :twisted:

7. Acephspades

Acephspades Tele-Meister

When you pick up anything else and realize you're struggling to play it and then grab a tele and you magically come alive again.

8. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Right after I had my 71 stolen. I went to get a different guitar and I couldn't play anything but a tele. I've played them for so long on stage now that anything else feels uncomfortable.

9. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

The realisation that 'a tele is for me' was on New Years Eve 1999 when I borrowed one at a party jam session.

But since then I've tried to use other guitars but I kept being disappointed by them at gigs and going back to the teles. The others would invariably be sold on. Finances dictated that I needed to be making money gigging a guitar to justify having it at all.

But recently with our improved finances I've gotten my head around the idea of having a few non-tele guitars around the house just for the hell of it and not worrying about being able to gig them.
    So I've now got 3 teles, plus a strat and a les paul.

I only use telecasters at gigs though. I realise there's little point trying to use anything else, in my case.

10. dan79

dan79 Tele-Holic

I've been playing guitar for 15 years and for the past 13 I've exclusively used Telecasters.
    (I learned on a strat copy and then owned a LP copy for a year)

No other electric guitar feels 'right' to me -

I guess it dawned on me that I was a 'Tele Man' when I realised that when I walk into guitar shops, I don't even bother checking out all the other makes - I just head straight for the Tele's :lol:

11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I wouldn't say I "wasted" years of my life playing my Strat, but kind of:

I got my Strat in 1969 when I was 13, and in that era and with the music I played and living in New York, sorry boys--but a Tele wasn't on ANY kid's radar. It wasn't cool like a Strat, and only the country bumpkins played them.

Which of course wasn't true, but in my universe, it was all Strats, SGs and LPs.

Fast forward many, many, MANY years to now as a middle-aged adult, mostly playing acoustic during all that time, and I pick up a Tele about a year ago and think:

"What the hell was I doing playing a Strat all those years? This just FEELS so much better, and tonewise, this can do it all for me, for the kind of stuff I play."

Plus, I'm a real little guy, and the Strat was just way out of proportion to my body.

12. jazztele

jazztele Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

i started to get the picture around the time i bought my second tele...suddenly, i realized that as far as electric guitars go, nothing was going to make me as happy...and any non-tele electrics around the house started collecting dust.

i still play my epiphone emperor regent a lot, but never plugged in...treat it like an acoustic, so i guess that's why it can stick around...but if i'm plugging in, i want a telecaster.

13. austintele

austintele Tele-Afflicted

I always like teles/esquires but I fell completely when I saw Jon spencer blues explosion in 98. Judah bauer was playing his 51 esquire the whole show and it was sounding fantastic. It was there and then that the journey began.

14. Tim73

Tim73 Friend of Leo's

I still reguarly mention my formative years - watching the likes of Keith Richards & Andy Summers playing teles on TV back in the late 70s. I also must confess to being influenced by that opening shot on the Dukes of Hazzard of Waylon's tele....

I played bass for most of my musical life but always used to pester guitarists to get a tele. I started playing acoustic & then went on to an Epiphone semi. The moment I went on to tele it felt natural & right. I've had a couple of gigs where I've packed other guitars but I'm with Pickalittle's original post. I've actually sold all my non tele electrics now bar one strat.

15. bglaze

bglaze Tele-Holic

I knew the very day I took home my first tele from the store. I had since been playing Les Paul's and Strats, but that day I knew I had found what I was looking for. The Les Paul's and Strats have ALL since been sold. And I have never, and will never sell any of my Tele's

16. teleman77

teleman77 Tele-Meister

I was doing a tour in Manatoba, Canada in 1981 and walked into the local music store in The Pas, Manatoba.
    I was stopped dead in my tracks by the music they had playing.
    It was Roy Buchanan playing "Blues For Gary " off the "My Babe" album.

My stRat went bye bye and I got a Tele shortly after.

17. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

i've been playin' my Tele all along despite the trends....
    i got (and get) laughed at for:

for playin' my Tele when Gretsch and Rik guitars were all the rage in The Beatles' wake, then flame 'burst Les Pauls, then Strats, then "dot neck" 335's and then Strats (again), then the pointy Floyds and 7 strings were the new trend....

for bringin' my Tele to straight up jazz gigs instead of an Archtop....

for playin' my lightweight Tele and not buying into the "heavy=mass=sustain" hippie scientist guitar equation...because
    i believed then as now that sustain is due to resonance and stiffness/rigidity rather than mass/weight.....

an' for usin' only a Small Stone phase shifter and a wah instead of a refrigerator sized rack of processors (b.t.w. i still get weird reactions for not using overdrive/distortion fx) and/or a 4 tier pedalboard.....
    for using 2 wee small tube amps instead of dual Marshall double stacks and/or Twin Reverbs.....

an' most especially for playin' my own thang instead of tryin' to cop EVH's, SRV's, Yngwie's, Brent's(or name your favorite player here) licks....etc etc etc ad infinitum.....

Trends die, it's their nature....--anyone remember Dan'l Boone/Davy Crockett coonskin caps ? ;) -- , but the things that last are truly timeless....take our beloved Tele f'rinstance.....

funny how things come around, and 'round again eh ?

Long Live the Tele !

18. odiemann

odiemann Tele-Afflicted

The first time I saw one, it stayed there. I liked Strats for a while, but everyone (nearly) from whom I liked music played a Tele. I went away from guitars for a while, came back, and was playing a very nice EB Musicman. I went to rehearsal and forgot my guitar. I borrowed a MIM Standard, and it struck me again.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to play just about anything. Pauls, new Strats, whatever - and the Tele still found my hands. I am stuck. I like the sound of LP's but the scale seems short now, almost like a toy (and they are nice well made guitars). Things seem to be in the right place on a tele.

19. dibber124

dibber124 Tele-Afflicted

Picture worth thousand words...

See Avatar.
    That was it. Went through just about every guitar possible over thirty years, but came back home.

20. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

I think it was 1974 when I got my first Tele, a used blonde/maple hanging in a music store. I had always played Gibson LP's & SG's, so this was something totally different for me. I swapped out the bridge p-up for a DiMarzio and it rocked! Downside was I kept hitting my right index finger on the bridge plate.

Don't remember what I did with that Tele, but when I started gigging regularly again about 1989, I was trying to use a Strat, and it just didn't feel "right". I made the comment to my other guitar player that a Tele with 3 p-ups and a 5 way switch would just be great. The next few days, I found a new Peavey Generation S-3 (poor mans' James Burton) and played that guitar since 1991. It looks like a "relic" now, and I have an identical #2 that I bought as a back-up.

I still have both my Peaveys, along with my G&Ls and along the way I've had several Teles. A couple years ago, my band started playing more rock than country, so I got a few Epiphone LPs to get that "big" LP sound. Then last year when my big "5-0" came around I wanted a really nice guitar for my birthday. Of all the guitars available, I chose 2 American Teles, an American Std. in Natural Ash, and my beloved American Ash in Honey Blonde.

Needless to say, I've been selling off some of my other (non-Tele) guitars. I don't know what "it" is, but a Tele has it all, and then some!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.