When did you go grey?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ifallalot, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Guitardvark

Guitardvark Tele-Meister

old men dont turn gray they develop shades of blonde :)

ReverendRevolver likes this.
  2. Mrbob135

Mrbob135 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Started in my mid 40's. Now that I've past 50, it has sped up dramatically...along with the receding hairline. And let's not talk about how the hair that is no longer on your head starts showing up elsewhere...

3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Gray hairs started showing up in my beard first, back when I was around 30. Which reminds me of a great story on my Dad. We were visiting my folks, and I met Dad up at his office. One of his colleagues notice the gray on my chin and said to my Dad, "Is that gray hair I see on your son's chin?" Without missing a beat, Dad quipped back, "Oh, he's not my son. I'm too young to have a boy that old. He's Veda's son by her first husband." Of course, Veda is my Mom, and Dad was her first (and only husband). :lol: The pic below was taken after this incident, but shows how I grayed.
    Me c. 1995.jpg

It was odd that my beard went gray before the hair on the top of my head. The pic below on the left is a pic of me holding one of my grandsons. That boy will turn 17 in October. As you can see, then, my hair was still mostly dark 17 years ago, but my beard was already more salt than pepper. Beside it is one of the most recent pics of me, taken a year ago.
    Me with Corbin c. 2002.jpg 06-23-2018 - Trapped in guitar T-shirt.jpg

4. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

If you still have the same hairline and overall thickness, well, screw you . . . .

Some of us went gray and lost most of it.

No, I’m not bitter. Not all all. Ok, maybe a little.

Ok, maybe a lot.

Moriarty, MisterZ and ifallalot like this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Right there with you partner. It will still grow, but it only grows longer, not thicker. On a breezy day the hair on the crown of head just stands straight up like Kramer on "Seinfeld" now. Means wearing hats is a daily affair now.

nvilletele likes this.
  6. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

You all need to count your blessings and quit your whining!
    I started going very thin in my 20s, by 30 it was mostly all gone on top.
    At the age of 31, I went to a totally shaved head, nobody up there ever had a chance to even get gray! :lol:

Now at 56 my facial hair is all gray and I don't give a rat's ass.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  7. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

47 and no grey. But both my parents turned pretty late. My old man was still mostly brown at retirement age and about 85 grey approaching 80.

8. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My first grey hairs showed up when I was about 17. Probably closer to white right now, with some grey mixed in. Still plenty of it though. I absolutely feel it is a badge of honor, something I've earned. Cracks me up when guys dye it. Worse than that is a toupee. I've never seen one EVER that didn't look like road kill. You figure actors, TV anchormen, etc would be able to afford the best but they still look absolutely horrid. Show me ONE guy whose rug looks real.

Anita Bonghit likes this.
  9. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Started getting gray at about 30, turned snow white by 40. Can't complain, women loved it and have gotten the senior discount everywhere for the last 30 years.

10. harlycarly

harlycarly Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

GREAT pix and GREAT shirt!

LGOberean likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They have a fix for grey and receding.

12. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I had zero grey hair... my boy tore up his knee playing basketball and during the exam for his knee surgery, they discovered what could have been a fatal heart problem... within 2 months I was grey. I think I aged 20 years during that time.... I have come to like my grey hair...

ReverendRevolver and MisterZ like this.
  13. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I'll be 52 next month. Definitely more pepper than salt. My daughter was busting on me last week because I have more gray hair now than before. I told her, "Well, it I can't have gray hair at 52, then when can I? Also, of course I'm going to have more... how would I have less?"

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Doing amazingly well. 54 and virtually zero grey hair. It's very dark almost black. Everyone assumes I dye it. That's the genes on my Mum's side. Lucky! Long may it continue.:)

15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I went grey in my 40s. I'm 56 and my beard is pure white. Still got some grey left on my head though.

16. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks. I chose that pic because of my hair, not what I was wearing. Didn't realize what it was until after I posted it. Not that I'm not proud of it. That T-shirt was a hand-made Father's Day gift from my children back about a quarter of a century ago, when they were still children in my home. They're now all in their 40s, and have given me 19 grandchildren. I've still got that shirt in a drawer (I'll never throw it away), but I don't wear it much any more.

17. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

I started balding at 27. It runs in the family.

Salt and pepper started a few years later on the chin. Its creeping up as time passes.

I feel no need to color or dye but I would like to try it sometime just to see some of the family flip out.

18. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Early Twenties.
    In my Family, if it didn't go Grey, it went away!

All good to me.

19. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

My dad went from black to total white in about 3 weeks time. He was 13 at the time.

I got some grey at my temples at 17. More and more came in slowly. I was told at 40 I looked very distinguished. The ladies loved it and I took full advanced by 45 I was probably 40-50% grey streaked. Mustache, beard, and head.
    By the time I turned 60 I was pretty much all grey. A few loose stragglers stayed on and some still do.

Hair has been thinning since around 45 and the hairline is receding but I don’t care. It is who I am and I embrace it. Occasionally I’ll get a 30someting ask to buy me a drink. When I explain I’m in a committed relationship they seem bummed

I must admit at 67 I’m starting to look old. Part lifestyle and part genetics

20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Mom was pulling grey hairs out of my head (and laughing at me) when I was 18. She said it was genetic and that she did the same thing around the same age.

It ended up being a race between what was falling out and what was turning grey. By 30, 'bald' was winning. By 40 it was mostly grey. Today, there are still some darker hairs in the back but the rest is either skin or grey.

I am very happy to not have to deal with hair. I go to the barber and tell 'em "#3 guard, all over". I wish they charged by the square inch though...I'd be paying considerably less!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.