1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When did used Squier prices go up so dramatically?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by bullnose, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Prices of 70s Fenders have shot up...

Wait, no, the number of people asking too much for 70s Fenders has shot up. They're just sitting there on eBay and Reverb. If you check the sold listings, they're going for slightly higher than a year or two ago.

It's the same with Squiers I imagine. People price based on other listings rather than sold prices. You only need a couple of people advertising at stupid prices and everyone else seems to follow, especially with the margin people add for haggling.

2. arnie5150

arnie5150 Tele-Meister

the local pawn shops are bone dry here. One even has a sign asking for folks to sell them their guitars. I did see a MIM Tele in there with a 450 dollar price tag on it. My son in law bought one there last summer for 150!

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I only go to reverb to buy new stuff I can’t find in stock anywhere else. It’s cool for that, because a gazillion little music stores all over the country have reverb listings, and they all sell at MAP and free shipping, just like the big boys.

I don’t even look for used stuff on reverb anymore. Everybody wants crazy money for it. Plus shipping. Many times once you add on shipping the prices are at, or even above what something would cost new. Or it’s such a small difference you might as well pay the extra $10-$20 for a new one and get a warranty.

One TDPRI member informed me that when they sell on reverb that ask above value and then take offers. I get the idea, but I’d never make one. I just pass that crap right by. Same with auctions. If there’s no “buy it now” at a fair price I just move on. The whole idea of buying online and not going to a store is that I don’t have to talk to, or deal or wrestle with anybody. Just find what I want for a decent price and click on it. If I can’t do that, I ain’t buying.

4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

I buy and sell more than anybody I know or have heard of and I've not noticed Squier prices in my area changing much. MIM Fenders on the other hand are just getting stupid. My problem is I have a hard time paying more for something than it cost new, and the price of MIM Strats has doubled in the past 20 years. People are trying to sell early 2000s Strats for $500 when they cast $329-349 new. Their reasoning is that new ones are now $700. Problem is, they're not selling new ones, they're selling 15-20 year old ones with plenty of playwear, small frets and trem block, and no warranty. Nuts.

Jakedog, CajunJ, Boreas and 3 others like this.
  5. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

You need to make offers to get the deals... No one lists at rock bottom price.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  6. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

As many others have said, these are Reverb users pricing their stuff to sit. I see CVs almost every day on GC's used site for $250-$300. More infrequently on CL, but they pop up.

7. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Holic

This is pretty much why I given up on the used gear market.

My time is worth something, and avoiding the aggravation of the doofus crowd

is a real plus.

I just prefer to support my favorite local store or website.

audiopablo and nashvillebill like this.
  8. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Reverb and ebay are what they use to price there stuff.

9. MojoTrwall

MojoTrwall Tele-Holic

Because guitarist are so dumb and irrational.

Seriously they're the worst regarding second hand market value which is the best exemple of demanding/offer.

3-Chord-Genius and The Angle like this.
  10. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

There were no playability issues with the guitar, it just didn’t feel like it was worth $230 when I can pay a little more and get a nicer made guitar. It played fine. Sounds fine for what it was. Just was twice the price it should have been.

jh

11. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

I've been talking about this a great deal since I'm the thread originator over at S-T. Prices are higher because people are paying it. On Reverb it's very easy to see how long something has been for sale. If it's been for sale for more than 2 weeks it's either overpriced or unknown. For a month I feel at least 10% and 2 months, or more at least 20% overpriced. Just don't feed the troll, if new is less than 20% higher - buy new and get the warranty.

There are always deals, and as stated above, you have to offer and negotiate for a good deal - for the seller and buyer. I always counter unless the offer I get is full priced - which several lately have been even at over $2500 for high-end guitars. Likewise, I never offer to pay full price even on good deals. I will offer a price expecting to get a great deal or negotiation. If your selling, and unwilling to counter then I'll let your 2-month old offering sit longer. After 4 months or a year listed on Reverb you should have already gotten the clue that it's overpriced.

What's even funnier are the sales offered on U.S. sites from Europe, Japan...at twice other asking prices, and well over new, PLUS $150+ shipping.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    The Angle likes this.
  12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

There's always been a lot of dumb pricing by people who don't know how to price a guitar to actually sell. It's just worse at the moment. Even if the market value of guitars has gone up, though, you still have to price to sell within that range. That said...

The fair market value for Squiers has risen over the last calendar quarter, at least. From my quick studies of Affinity Strat *sale* prices, eBay has risen 41% and Reverb has risen 27%.

Matthias likes this.
  13. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Ding, ding, ding!! Winner winner chicken dinner.

It's absurd. You are also correct about the "make an offer" schtick. I'll make an offer on something that is already listed below the cost of something because...wait for it... it's USED. I don't know what the owner did to it. I can't trust the pictures or condition because "This item is sold As-Described and cannot be returned".
    I see folks here post about how they were "insulted" by a low ball offer. Tough cookies. Whatever offer is made is likely the first step in the counter-offer, re-offer dance. I hate that crap when buying a car. I'm certainly not going to engage in it for a guitar or amp.

I recently saw an item that I have been looking for and it was at a reasonable price until... $109 shipping.

Reverb is non-starter for me unless I'm buying new.

68Telebass likes this.
  14. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Everybody stayed home with a Gov. bonus. That’s when it went up.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  15. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

CL is generally for the desparate, so there is bias in that data. Check Reverb, which represents a better distribution of the market. They have curves, many of which have trended up since March.

PS - our spending has increased in some areas, at the expense of less spending on food, gas, and entertainment.

Rocky058 likes this.
  16. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Nothing is moving on my “Watch List.”
    Three New Hiwatt Solid State pieces sold.
    One Nacho Banos Esquire Blackguard sold too but that went
    to someone well-heeled - the price was over 7K+.
    Everything else I’m watching is still current.

I hope You’re right and I’m wrong.
    I’ll predict that in thirty days everything on my watch list
    will still be there and the pricing right now is reasonable,
    I’m just putting Rent in the cookie jar and eating lots of
    Rotini and Mixed Vegetables.

I am bummed I missed out on The Benson...

smartsoul72 likes this.
  17. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Honestly I've seen this. People thinking the Chinese models are worth more than a new Indo CV. This deffo is not the case and it's false market inflation. I've seen some people list them for 350. Those sellers for these 'superior chinese models' still havent sold the axe and I saw one had dropped the price to 250.

18. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

My data isn't that broad, or exhaustive, so I could be tracking localized trends. I'm thinking consumption is similar to the S&P500, where there are more winners than losers, so its at an all time high (absolutla-mazingly). Meanwhile, we are still looking at a negative double digit GDP this year. All that to say, nobody knows what the heck is going on, much less what the heck is going to happen, lol.

19. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

I did the same with a Bullet Strat. It wasn't even worth the 100 quid I paid for it.

mugen74 likes this.
  20. DuckDodgers

DuckDodgers Tele-Meister

Sales of guitars have exploded post-lockdown, and many new guitars are in short supply. That’s pushed up prices of used guitars. Some sellers are asking unreasonable prices, but you can always make a counter-offer. I often do.

Piggy Stu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.