1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When did the average cost of a pedal go over $100?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by soulgeezer, Mar 20, 2012.

1. cband7

cband7 Friend of Leo's

The average cost of everything went over $100 when the average quarter devalued to five cents. Financial application of the "Amazing Shrinking Candy Bar" theorem...... :eek:

2. JPW2105

JPW2105 Tele-Holic

Well, it depends on what you want. If you want it designed by a electronics student in Taiwan and made by a robot, it will be cheaper. If you want it designed by a tone freak and hand built in the U.S. it will be more expensive.

I think an awful lot of you will be surprised how little money the boutique guys make in all honesty.

3. Albionic

Albionic Tele-Meister

i recently got a behringer fuzz pedal just to mess around on for £16 new. i don't use fuzz live so i didn't feel the need to drop a load of cash on a more trendy pedal.

i'm floored by how good it sounded. it does feel a little flimsy and changing the battery is a job requiring a third hand and 2 biros but from a sound point of view i'd not hesitate to gig it.i just worry a that i can be a little heavy footed and crack the plastic case.

as for r&d costs a day spent with a bread board and a load of different caps transistors diodes and resistors swapping components till you get the tone you are after is all it takes to "design" a pedal. the circuits don't really change.

boutique pedals are my pet hate when it comes to guitar. theres just no craft in it.
    the circuits are not complex and the soldering requires minimal skill.

4. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

is the real 'problem ' now due to people genuinely convincing themselves that they need so... many .. pedals - even of the same general type. ie multiple overdrives etc.

i don't mind paying a decent price for a carefully made product one time.

I increasingly worry about labour conditions for the folks making uber value pedals. though i have owned several Joyos .

im hoping to keep simple needs and discerning choice from now on.

PS try dealing with UK prices before getting too cheesed off :-[

5. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I know with me, I have been guilty of buying and trying many similar OD's, (all under $100) thinking that each one will bring something to the table that may be different than the pedal it's next to! And I don't know how similar they are till after I spend the $$! But then you find the cool keepers too....I try to justify each pedal purchase by doing one gig with each to "pay for the pedal" before I return it to GC or sell on CL

Funny, (just being honest here) I did not really have this kind of behavior before joining TDPRI or TGP! But I also have learned an awful lot from others too, so I can live with a few bad 'impulse pedal' choices;)

6. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I know with me, I have been guilty of buying and trying many similar OD's, (all under $100) thinking that each one will bring something to the table that may be different than the pedal it's next to! And I don't know how similar they are till after I spend the $$! But then you find the cool keepers too....I try to justify each pedal purchase by doing one gig with each to "pay for the pedal" before I return it to GC or sell ;)!

Funny, (just being honest here) I did not really have this kind of behavior before joining TDPRI or TGP! But I also have learned an awful lot from others too, so I can live with a few bad 'impulse pedal' choices;)

Edit: curse you browser and your double post!-sorry!

7. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's

LOL me too!

Sometimes I think there is some trial and error to find out what is going to work for you. And there is a lot worse things I could spend my money on then an overpriced boutique TS clone.

8. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

When web forums like this one convinced people who cant really play, that they can buy good tone, if they will just spend more money.

9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Zing.

10. Albionic

Albionic Tele-Meister

yep i see so many youtube vids where there is a guy chattering away about the uber expensive gear he is standing in front of.then he plays and its aparent he can barely string together three chords .

but hey its their cash i guess but perhaps more time practising less spent putting crazy rigs together wouldn't go amiss. and a few quid spent on lessons.

if i didn't have a band i'd happily jam away on a fender mustang or roland cube all the sounds and effects you need right there.

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

That's good to know.

The next time I only have a day free, I will design the equivalent of a Custom Tones Ethos TLE.

And the next time after that, I will design the equivalent of a Strymon El Capistan.

And then the equivalent of a Diamond Compressor.

Each in a day. Because the circuits don't change, no real skill is involved, and CT/Strymon/Diamond are all clearly fleecing buyers. ;)

Seriously - that perception is almost as bad as the one that all cheap pedals are crap.

You don't have to like or want to buy a specialized pedal, but you don't have to be a hater of the whole thing altogether. Save some of that vitriol for real things to be bent out of shape about, like people going out in public in sweatsuits for everything. :lol:

13. Albionic

Albionic Tele-Meister

wasn't my intention to offend but i guess i did go off on a rant:oops:

i am really refering to fuzz and overdrive pedals the stuff you mention is a little more complex but still a little more than i care to pay i tend to think boss and eh have the pricing about right no need for a pedal to cost more than that.

working in the electronics industry a guitar pedal is pretty much as simple as it gets for an elecrical appliance these days.

i think we need to look at what we are really getting for our money.

i work very closely with a guy who worked for coloursound and he can't believe how much people pay for them

14. willc68

willc68 TDPRI Member

In 1983 I bought my distortion for 60 bucks and a delay for 90 bucks new.
    Now 30 years later I can shop around and find new pedals even cheaper.
    What would a Strymon pedal cost 30 years ago?
    In general all electronic devices have dropped in price, guitar pedals included.

15. Enaitz

Enaitz Tele-Meister

+1

Last night I was tempted to buy a rare sitar pedal, but I didn't because it was so extremely rare (no demos anywhere) that I thought that if I disliked it I wouldn't be able to sell it in a million years. Being able to sell used gear for the same money you paid for it last week is a delight, because it lets you try the gear at home and with your own equipment in a peaceful environment (everything I try at the store never sounds the same at home).

By the way, I've seen lots of people buying new FX when they could easily achieve the same tone by tweaking some knobs on their current gear. Is like saying "my overdrive sounds a bit muddy, so I'm buying a treble booster (instead of rising the tone knob clockwise)".

16. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Thats funny, I was just chuckling at a gear page post where a guy loved his OCD,but wanted to replace it cause its above unity gain at 10.00 o'clock. :eek:

Oh, and I'm a 'flipper'. If its not currently on my board I tend to flip it, but not for the latest 'NAMM' gear, no. Usually stuff like tennis lessons for my daughter,Baseball for my son,car repairs,grocerys etc....
    (Of course,PCB's caps,resistors,enclosures too!):lol:

17. plymman

plymman Tele-Meister

Have you seen the danelectro pedals? They're not world beaters but definitely do the job. I recently picked up a distortion and an overdrive for £12 each brand new!

18. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

What is it with the "set the knobs to noon" thing? How did we all learn that?

Or any sort of default setting?

I'll watch guys get a new drive box and basically first set it as a boost - drive off and level cranked. Then just a smidge above that to get a little hair on things. Why not either use:

a. A dirty booster?

or

b. A drive box with the range designed to basically just "expand the sweep" from 7:00 to 9:00?

I understand it being a head scratcher with all of the drive boxes that have a kind of goofy amount of gain adjustment, and being touted as a booster/OD/distortion all in one box, but the "defaults" are kind of strange...

We keep having discussions about the revelations that folks are having with the Rat pedal, because when you set the knobs in an (relative to past usage) unorthodox way (Dist quite low, Filter adjusted to hit the "sweet spot" in combination), it's like having a completely new pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.