When did separate "bedroom amp" and "gigging amp" become a thing?

Jjmatashi

TDPRI Member
what's not to get??

I can crank a Princeton to 7 and play at home but I can't crank a Vibroverb to 7 and play at home?

different amps with different wattage for different uses... ?
If you can crank a Princeton to 7 your neighbors must be quite some ways away, and your family longsuffering! I can't crank mine beyond 3 without my teen reading me the riot act!
So I bought a Z Air Brake and a Tone King Comet 20 and now we're all happy campers.

LOSTVENTURE

Friend of Leo's
I tend to think it's a marketting idea. A good way to sell underpowered amps. My Vibrolux sounds great at any volume, so maybe I'm jaded.

bgmacaw

Doctor of Teleocity
If you can crank a Princeton to 7 your neighbors must be quite some ways away, and your family longsuffering! I can't crank mine beyond 3 without my teen reading me the riot act!

In my case, I found 3 on my SFPR was "Sorry. I'll keep it down officer" volume.

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I now have a Micro Cube for our apartment.

But for years before, it was my trusted Smokey Amp ( designed by Bruce Zinky)- I got one as soon as I read the Guitar Player magazine review in the late '90's.
(I own a ' NOS' backup Smokey too!)

I used to stick this and a cheap cable in my gig bag for hotel/ travel play
20171024_100812.jpg

DHart

Poster Extraordinaire
I had a a Yamaha THR 10, gag! It sucked. I gave it to a friend for free. He sold it at a swap meet for peanuts. There are many better amps out there both big and small.

No amps are universally appreciated. ;) Different amps for different tastes and musical styles. Someone gags at every amp out there. :lol:

The THR10 certainly doesn't need my support (though it definitely has it!)... the THR10 is a very widely used, and well-loved amp. I like it for it's clean tones with compressor & reverb; I'm not a fan of gain settings.

Last edited:

GoneTomorrow

TDPRI Member
I did not get the memo. I have an amp in the living room, one in the "practice" room, two in the garage, two at the band's garage and three on the bench in various stages of build. Lol. Oh, and one in the trunk that just kinda lives there for emergency purposes.

Maybe I just love amps as much as I love guitars.

Bean1871

TDPRI Member
Venues are smaller, stages are smaller, stage volumes are getting quieter, and FOH systems and personal monitoring have gotten better. For a lot of people there’s not a whole lot of difference between bedroom amps and stage amps ;):D:confused:.
721D5C30-E095-4395-9446-10FAB16787C6.jpeg

Yup...not much difference...

J. Bonkosky

Tele-Holic
Gold Supporter
It became a thing for me when I decided I like my silver Champ as much as I like my Super Reverb. I have played my Super at home and at low volume for years. Sounded fine at home and at gigs. I picked up a dead champ and fixed it up. It sounds great at home also. And it is cheaper to re-tube than the Super.

Slippery Jack

Tele-Meister
I don't generally plug the guitar in when I play at home. I've got amps sitting there but I can't normally be bothered. Playing at band level is the real thing for me, playing at a low volume just doesn't cut it for me.

However, since March I've occasionally plugged in to one just to remind me what they sound like. But I do turn it up, though.

Abu Twangy

Friend of Leo's
In the late '60s-early '70s a Twin Reverb and a Fender Baseman 2 x 15 served as both gigging and practice amps. 50 years later I use a 1 watt Blackstar for both bass and guitar practice. I still have a Deluxe Reverb and my 800 watt Acoustic Ten2 for those rare gigs.

Back in the '70s I knew some musicians that used Champs, Princetons and Musicmasters for home practice, amps that I used to uncharitably refer to as "kiddy amps". Nowadays these are desirable for their modest power and good sound. These smaller amps were the original bedroom amps to me..

Anacharsis

Tele-Holic
It became a thing when gear manufacturers decided to acknowledge that the overwhelming majority of guitar players never (or very rarely) gig. Selling only to live performers would shrink the market drastically. So they started tailoring some of their products to practice only.

I hate to play unplugged. Even on a Thinline. Sounds fingernails/chalkboard bad to me. I use headphones if I need near silence.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
Happened because there were finally good, small tube amps, so there were choices. When I was young small amps were solid state and sounded like s***.