1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When did separate "bedroom amp" and "gigging amp" become a thing?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Dec 14, 2020.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

do the people who don't also use smaller amps at home live in rural areas with no neighbors? there's a reason why a lot of us rent practice spaces in sketchy industrial neighborhoods.

Cali Dude and telemnemonics like this.
  2. cyclopean

that would be learning an einstrurzende neubauten song.

3. cyclopean

but the meat puppets start to rot after a while if they aren't preserved.

telemnemonics likes this.
  4. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

What I want to know is, when did the idea of having a little amp around the house get to be such a BIG DEAL either way? Just whisper "bedroom amp" and some guys lose it. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    Tim S likes this.
  5. cyclopean

(stage whisper) bedroom amp.

bigjohnbates and ThermionicScott like this.
  6. aFewGoodTaters

aFewGoodTaters Tele-Meister

Speaking from my own experience, when I'm playing at home it's unplugged 80% of the time or more. However, at the time when the digital modelling technology became sophisticated enough to at least fairly convincingly capture the tone feel of driven tube amps at 'bedroom' volumes is when I made the plunge for separate rigs. My Deluxe Reverb and pedalboard are now used almost exclusively for gigs and rehearsals, while my Yamaha THR is played at home when I do feel the need to plug in.

alnico357 likes this.
  7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think this is what happened. Years ago, I only remember it being called a practice amp. Or I guess you also had what were called student amps. I guess that some may have also referred to these as being starter amps, too.

I don't think it was probably entirely a marketing move with just renaming these as bedroom amps. IMO, the newer stuff tends to have a lot of features that are great for playing at home, but pointless for playing at the gig. For instance, I don't mind screwing around more at home with an amp, and the experimentation might actually pay off. OTOH, I just want to be able to turn a handful of knobs at the gig, and then go.

There's probably also now a whole group of products where they intentionally try to not refer to them as being either a bedroom or gig amp, because they're trying to market them as being something that can do it all equally well.

8. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Now they are the same thing again. Pretty much every venue and sound tech wants you to play at bedroom volume on stage.

9. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

It used to be that bigger was better back from the '60s into the '90s. We all went out and bought huge amps and cabinets and now we're all partially deaf for it.

A decade or so ago I realized that a 15-watt combo will be more than adequate for pretty much anywhere I'm gonna play. In fact, I got myself a little 5-watt Supro that's a little bigger than a lunchbox about six months ago and now I'm looking at my AC15 like it's a 4 x 12". Can't see taking it out of the house anymore.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    3-Chord-Genius and Cali Dude like this.
  10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

a bedroom amp is what we used to call a practice amp, and it used to be a champ or worse, and we didn't really expect it to sound all that great? For example, I used to have a 120Watt Ampeg head with a 4x12, but I used a tiny little amp of one sort or the other at home to learn songs with, that was what I would have called a practice amp.

Now we want a practice amp that gives us some undefinable thrill such as we would imagine playing a cranked up amp would...hence the bedroom amp and... what pedal should I have use to make my... blah blah blah bedroom questions.

In reality practice will give you great tone at any volume.

Dismalhead likes this.
  11. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

NO, it doesn't... for me

My Marshall JCM900 MKIII sounded like crap at low volume, my Twin reverb and my Bassman did it as well. Now I play a Marshall Origin 50W, It can work at 50W, 20W and 5W. Simply, no enough power to move a 12" speaker at 5W. 20W is OK but 50W is glorious... at low level, don't talk about moving 2x12" nor 4x12". Well just 12" speakers are not for low volume. If it works for you, there you are. Not for me. It sounds dull and liveless. Is not designed for that

The THR moves enough the 2x3" and sounds good at TV level or near speaker and sound full of dynamics and love it. Crank it and is not so good. Is not designed for that.

Of course I have tried, but I am happier using each amp for whet they have been designed

12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

My JCM900 (and 800) definitely sounded better when loud, but my mindset was (and still is, I guess) for practice at home, all it has to do is work so I can hear myself. I figured at a gig is where the tone really mattered, and that just sort of took care of itself when I turned it up to hear it over everything else. At home I'm not thinking of tone, dynamics, "sag", all that stuff - I just want to be able to hear it so I can make sure I know how to play the songs so that when I do go in front of people, I don't look like a dork...:lol:

Muadzin and El Marin like this.
  13. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

hehe, like you - never really caught on for me! Even when I lived in apartments... I always had a loud rig but just put soundproofing in my room as much as possible and cranked away. Over the years I've owned a few 1-5watt tube amps... close as I ever got. Recently got a mesa 20/20 and that's my new bedroom amp... but it'll take yer head off! Long live the loud!

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  14. Drew617

Drew617 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Heh... guys who ARE mom and dad, and who had to give their hobby rooms over to kids. :)

As to turning the volume down, nah. The middle one here is a Robinette Blackvibe Micro, a 1W AB763. Sure, no amp I own is going to flap my pant legs inside the house, but this little guy and its saturated OT sound a hell of a lot richer than my PR clone at similar low DBs.

The Pod Go works nicely as a small-footprint pedalboard replacement, also as an amp modeler for truly silent play. Got a THR5 downstairs for the couch, too.

[​IMG]

telemnemonics and JamesAM like this.
  15. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Preach.

- a dad

Drew617 likes this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

More bedroom amps from ancient times...

vintagebedroomamps.png

17. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

Way back in the late '60s and '70s I had my Blackface Champ at home and kept the old B.F. Bassman at our practice place. I inherited the Bassman from my good friend who was our keyboard player.

So I wouldn't say having a small amp at home is a new concept :).

I've never had an amp in my bedroom though.

ThermionicScott likes this.
  18. driver8

driver8 Tele-Holic

:lol::lol::D

I think people just started calling practice amps "bedroom amps" for some reason, probably related to the demographics of the internet at that time, i.e., younger kids living at home or with roommates. Now it's just a shorthand term to refer to a low-wattage amp that still sounds reasonably good at lower volumes that you probably won't or don't intended to gig with. It's also fewer syllables than "living room amp," so there's that advantage ;-)

19. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I was wondering when the Dad's & Mom's would chime in!
    (Do we have any Mom's raising kids posting here? Maybe we could behave in a more women friendly manner?)
    Looks like you have a nice big bedroom there!
    No kids but my wife is a painter so she needs a painting studio.
    She also gets all the closet space and the bedroom is pretty full.
    It's easier to move from room to room with guitars than with easel, palette and turpentine.
    Then there's marriage management.
    Given that some here report they just stopped playing guitar while raising kids, good job making it work!

ThermionicScott, Drew617 and JamesAM like this.
  20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It's no big deal, but I don't get why some people say "my ______ amp is too loud for home" when all you need to do is turn it down... I mean, I can see an amp not being loud enough, but not quiet enough?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.