When did Musicians Friend start calling customers at home?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Anita Bonghit, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

This morning I bought a couple of accessories from MF, less than $20. This evening I got a call from them right at dinner time wanting to know if there was anything else I needed or wanted. They also asked me why I hadn't bought as much as I once did, was something wrong, what do they need to regain my business?
    I have been buying from them for 30 years, just bought a new guitar from them one year ago. I told him I'm pushing 70 and I have a dozen plus guitars, in fact I'm trying to downsize. I hope this is not a direction they decide to take. This is why I do not buy from Sweetwater and will stop buying from MF if this happens again. Anybody else getting these type of calls or am I just lucky?

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Tele-Meister

Sweetwater's been doing this for years. Surprising to me MF has taken this long to catch up.

3. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

This is why my phone number is off limits to retailers. Email address maybe (easier to ignore), but no phone.

beyer160 and Chunkocaster like this.
  4. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I get calls from Sam Ash, usually when they have financing specials. The last was 0% for 48 months. I impressed myself I didn't jump, but I am also getting up there and should be downsizing, and pretty content with what I have.

Festofish and Anita Bonghit like this.
  5. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

No idea. We don't even answer the phone at the house anymore unless it is a number we are expecting a call from. Same goes for the cell phone. Same for the front door.

Uncle Bob, Bassman8, tery and 9 others like this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Businesses doing this has also prompted me to never answer the phone unless I know the number. I hope more do the same and their beancounters notice a big drop in sales from people who refuse to buy from businesses that cold call and pester their customers to purchase something.

7. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

Maybe Sweetwater is taking their market share and MF is adapting?

joealso likes this.
  8. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

Unless the caller is in my contacts list I NEVER answer my phone. If it's important they can leave a message.

I did recently buy from Sweetwater and got a bunch of phone calls and emails which I ignored. I guess that's the price of buying things these days.

rangercaster and BluesGuitarMart like this.
  9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I got a phone call last year from a local GC store manager, because I ( after a purchase) I responded to an after purchase GC " how was our service?" online service in a negative/ critical manner. Because the service was BAD.

I may be cynical, but why not give me real, good service, with trained polite, responsive employees, AND actually stock your merchandise better, up front?
    Instead of this "We're really proud of our customer service" - after the fact damage control BS.

10. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

A long time ago, in a land far away...
    When MF was a Southern Oregon music store, before GC got hold of it...

They'd never stop calling!

11. mikestearns

mikestearns Tele-Meister

Ugh, good to know. I learned my Sweetwater lesson after the boner they assigned to me called after I bought a one spot. I like that ZZounds never dies this but they don’t have as much of a selection.

12. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

upload_2019-11-18_21-24-33.png

Attached Files:

13. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

I give them all my land line number, which never gets answered.

14. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I never answer surveys from retailers and I never give them my info. I stopped making political donations because they abused my personal info.

Bassman8 and Telecaster88 like this.
  15. Fluddman

Fluddman Tele-Meister

How do you expect them to improve if they don't get feedback from their customers? But please don't ring me I'm busy.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  16. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

They should just rely on taking note of the complaints they receive and use those to better their service. They aren't calling to better their service. They call to goad you into making a purchase. It's probably best to supply these businesses with random contact numbers sourced from dodgy craigslist listings and failed tinder dates.:)

For legit orders you can just set up a email account to be used solely for any purchases and deliveries and not bother checking it unless you are expecting a delivery etc.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    GuitLoop likes this.
  17. John Backlund

John Backlund Friend of Leo's

I bought a Boss Acoustic Singer amp from Musician's friend about a week ago, received it on my doorstep two days ago (amazingly fast free shipping), and tonight, at about supper time, I got 'The Call' from them, telling me that my amp should be there in a day or two (it had already arrived) and obviously fishing for more sales on other items.

I guess I'm ok with the one call, but if they make a habit of it I'll start to get 'testy', to put it mildly.

18. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

Outrageous invasion of privacy in my opinion.

19. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

I don't get calls from MF because I've never given them my number. I do get that freaking annoying popup dude wanting to chat 50 bizzion times when I'm on their website though. Hint to MF if you're watching this... I HATE THIS and buy LESS from you because of it.

20. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I’m not sure about MF but I was going to mention SWEETWATER. I haven’t bought anything from them for at least 5 years and they still call me now and again.

Talk about dedicated salesmen!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.