1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

When did Fender get into the partscaster game..?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by 4pickupguy, Mar 27, 2021.

1. middy

middy Friend of Leo's

If you like 3 TSB, CAR, or black, you’re in luck!

Matthias likes this.
  2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

They did it starting about 20 years now, IIRC. However, during the period between then and now, they didn't always sell bodies and necks.

The neck on my number one bass for one 10 years was a Fender Genuine Replacement AVRI neck, purchased back around '00 (or prior). The "tells" back then were that it was heat branded Fender Genuine Replacement on the head, and the model name and patents were omitted from the decal; the decal just says "Fender."

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    4pickupguy likes this.
  3. jkats

jkats Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Fender did this for a while in the mid-to-late 80s, selling unfinished US vintage reissue necks and bodies with medallions on the back of headstocks of necks and in the neck pockets of bodies. I have a1986 medallion neck with rosewood board on my 62 reissue Strat clone. And as the previously posted Fender price list showed, they sold finished replacement parts back in the day, which resulted in some weird anomalies that we sometimes see on the used and vintage market.

4. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

To be viewed with the understanding that this is a cynical humorist perspective and has no relationship to any one or thing in the real-world (what ever that is or though to be,) it's a joke.

It's like that Brooklyn chop-shop routine, steal a car, disassemble the vehicle, sell of the parts separately, totaling a far higher profit than the car would cost to purchase assembled. The parts only costing the price of a crew thus employed for just this purpose, hence the term highly skilled specialized work force.
    Now Fender all ready owns the parts so there is no felony involved. They already have a distribution net work in place and all the parts come from a Fender manufacturer, be it in Anaheim California, Bully Choup Washington, Korea, Pakistan, Vietnam Japan, or Tierra del Fuego Argentina. All parts are available and ready for shipping and because all part are branded, they sell at premium prices as "Genuine Fender" parts.
    zzzzzzzzzz roberts pet goat.jpg

davegodby and 4pickupguy like this.
  5. TeleJ717

TeleJ717 TDPRI Member

Back in 1994 when I got my first guitar, it was a Squier Strat. With the Fender logo normal and a small “Squier Series” at the end of the headstock. I cracked the neck on it pretty good. Went to the local store to see if I could get a new neck for it. Was told it would be a little over $100 and I’d have to send the broken neck to Fender. That was more than I had paid for the whole guitar and I didn’t have the money at the time so I just played it that way until I could get another guitar.

As long as I’ve been playing (off and on since then), you’ve been able to buy Fender parts. Like I said in my first reply, it’s been that way since 1950. That was Leo’s whole point for making the guitar the way he did.

4pickupguy likes this.
  6. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, I sold Fender replacement parts in the 80’s. I was mistaken. I thought the video was promoting complete guitar kits by Fender. Instead it’s just Fender replacement parts A la cart as usual.... my mistake. I can’t imagine what a complete guitar would cost that way from Fender.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  7. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

I have made a few Partscasters without one Fender Part on it! They would have to pay me, to "Wear Their Logo"!

lathoto likes this.
  8. TN Tele

TN Tele TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Oh, Fender sells some usa parts as well. A usa maple neck is $699... you can buy an entire usa guitar for less than a usa neck, body, and custom shop pickups combined. Go Fender!

Matthias likes this.
  9. MendaFender

MendaFender NEW MEMBER!

Leo Fender did not play the guitar. He couldn't even tune one. But he had lots of musician friends and thought that every one of them should have a great guitar, at a reasonable price, and that each part on the guitar should be easily replaceable by the owner. Basically, Leo Fender's objective was to invent the "partscaster" guitar. He achieved his objective so well that he changed the guitar world forever. Not bad for a one-eyed guy who wasn't even an engineer! So the answer to your question . . . . Fender has ALWAYS been in the "partscaster" business . . . . By design and objective of it's founder - Clarence Leo Fender!

Telekarster and fos1 like this.
  10. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Shoot yeah...just rip 'er off and slap a new Tele neck on for $40.50 you bet!

'Course that's around $379.00 today.

Hmm...those really *were* cheaper back then.

:)

Telekarster likes this.
  11. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Same here and it's my #1 guitar! Gig with her weekly. 1951 Nocaster built by me with 100% USA made Fender made parts (as much as possible) to 51 spec. I used an Allparts 50's neck (which I love) and had a guy cut me the body to 51 specs out of NC Ash, and it turned out perfectly i.e. all the parts fit like a glove. Love it and play the crap outta it! LOL!!! :) So... money well spent in my book.

12. Telekarster

Wow! Look at those prices for necks and speakers! I mean... man... back in 57 that was real dough! That's def comp to today's prices I'd say, maybe even more? Neat pic man.

13. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

E75B0692-38A8-429C-BB5D-A2A1D6441890.jpeg

I was glad to be able to get a replacement neck for my ‘98 - 50s Classic. Exactly what I was looking for.

dpang2836 likes this.
  14. 1 21 gigawatts

1 21 gigawatts Tele-Holic

Anyone price out what an entire guitar would cost if using all Fender replacement parts? I'm guessing at least double the cost of the assembled guitar.

15. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

As some as stated, they’ve sold parts for years. They just upped their marketing. Bodies and necks are plainly listed on their website.
    I imagine that they decided that it was lucrative considering the number of third party vendors.

16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Yes, there are "guitar companies" out there that don't mind simply copying Fender.
    So...no real Fender parts?

Telekarster and dpang2836 like this.
  17. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

Nope! My Avitar is the best and lightest, I have Assembled! After over 50 Custom Tele Guitars, I am done. I just Built a Bass for me. Looks just like my Tele, but Routed for a P Bass. Absolutely no Fender Parts. Gotoh or Wilkinson Bridges and Tuners, USA Wiring Harnesses, Custom Wounds from many, etc. It's a Personal thing I have against Fender. I bought a 2008 Am. Standard Tele New for $1400. It was far from Standard, with a 3 Screw Bridge that a Classic one wouldn't fit. I take off Parts and Chunks of Poly came with. Pickups were too Hot? Hated it and only got $700 a year and a half later. Have Built my own since. I haven't bought anything American Fender since, but have had a few MIM Bodies and a few Squire's. Also a 1986 Japanese Mahogany Thinline Tele, that I should have kept.

18. Telekarster

Only the neck and body. The neck because I wanted to keep the costs low and since its Fender licensed, it was good enough for me. Plus their vintage neck is pretty much spot on with what I was wanting and I couldn't find a 51 Fender neck in the raw, and I wanted to do my own nitro on it. As for the body, there are nuances that are missing/added in modern Fender bodies and I my goal was to get as close as possible to original 51 spec as possible, and plus I wanted to do the color and finish to my specs, based off original examples I had photos of as well as technique (Lazy susan, nail standoffs, etc), and couldn't find a raw USA made Fender body. So... had a guy cut the body for me using 51 spec. As for all the other parts, from tuners to PUPs, CTS pots, screws, wiring, plate, cap, guard, bridge, etc. are all 100% USA made genuine Fender 51-52 spec, and I spent the extra $ to make sure that the package said "Made in USA".... and kept all the packages as proof ;)

19. Caffiend

Caffiend TDPRI Member

My current favourite is a partscaster with a MiM maple neck (I think the ‘deluxe’? Roasted maple and 12” radius), a three piece alder body cut to traditional dimensions but with a p90 neck cavity. I won’t go through a full spec but I don’t regret that neck at all. It’s a beauty and really makes the guitar.

Slightly more on topic, I’m not sure I can remember a time that replacement Fender necks, bodies and all the rest of the hardware were available.

20. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I think it was about 70 years ago......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.