When artists date other artists and things go pear shaped, it almost always ends up in good songs..

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Blazer, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, nothing as fickle in the world as love. Emotions often lead to sparks of creativity and none more so when that love goes wrong.

[​IMG]
    This is Holly Beth Vincent, front lady for Holly and the Italians, and for a while during the early eighties she was the other half of another strat toting musician.
    [​IMG]
    And with Mark Knopfler on her side, Holly set off building up her own career, helped in no small part by her boyfriend's connections in the music industry.

But once she got there, she dumped Mark and started to tell people that she made it all on her own and that Mark didn't have any involvement whatsoever. Not surprisingly, that angered Mark and he wrote a song about her, a song which became one of Dire Straits' biggest hits.

That line "I dreamed your dream for you and now your dream is real, so how can you look at me as if I were just another one of your deals?" is very specific and painful.

Now in the early nineties, there were two celebrity couples which everybody talked about. Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love were the first but here's the second couple: Damon Albarn (Blur, Gorillaz) and Justine Frischman (Elastica)
    [​IMG]
    The two of them had a very long husband and wife relationship, even though they never married. But in the late nineties Justine, fed up with Damon's drug fueled behavior, decided that she had had enough and dumped him.

Damon responded with a complete album about their break up, Blur's "13" where only "Coffee and TV" (Which is sung by Graham Coxon and is about his desire to quit alcohol) wasn't about her. The most personal song was "No distance left to run" where Damon basically tells her "You were right, I accept the consequences, I'm out of your life."

But I'm going for the one where Damon sings about how he will always cherish what he and Justine had, which again became a massive hit. "Tender"

[​IMG]
    Now Sinead O'Connor, isn't the easiest of people to hang around with as the world has since found out multiple times over. But one guy who gave it a shot was Red Hot Chili Peppers front man Anthony Kiedis, who had a short fling with her.
    [​IMG]
    In his book "Scar tissue" he details that he was no match for her, nothing he did could ever made it work.

When the Chili Peppers went to record their seminal "Blood Sugar Sex Magic" album he wrote a song in which he admits to her how bad he felt for screwing up what could have been.

He said that he wanted to send it over for her to hear but couldn't muster up the courage.

Fearnot and Rustbucket like this.
  2. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

Steve Earle has been married like 4 times, and they never seem to work out. I think he wrote some fantastic duets while married to Alison Moorer:

Cali Dude likes this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Alanis Morissette wrote this tune after breaking up with actor Dave Coulier (Full House). Hard to believe this tune is 25 years old already. Dave Navarro on guitar and Flea on bass for this track.

DANGER: NSFW; Adultish Lyrics Warning

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    posttoastie likes this.
  4. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Meister

5. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

I heard this was about her relationship with Clapton.

Cali Dude likes this.
  6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Stephen Stills/Judy Collins.

Cali Dude likes this.
  7. Greggorios

Graham Nash/Joni Mitchell

Cali Dude likes this.
  8. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

The entire Fleetwood-Mac Rumours album.

9. Greggorios

Ann Wilson/Mike Fisher

Cali Dude likes this.
  10. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love a good breakup song. So I keep hoping Taylor Swift and Adele will date. Cause when they split up we’ll get the best breakup songs of all time.

11. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

They don't write 'em like that anymore.

They just don''t write 'em like that anymore.

12. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I don't write love songs. I'm impressed that some of the examples above take personal responsibility for the failure of a relationship, because it seems like the majority are "you hurt poor little me boo hoo hoo". Yesterday I started thinking, why don't I write a song called "I Don't Understand Love". My wife would probably not be thrilled by it.

The basic idea being:
    I can say "I love you" but not mean it.
    I can not say "I love you" but it doesn't mean I don't.
    ad nausem...

Greggorios likes this.
  13. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Holic

He wrote this song about no one, or maybe everyone

14. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Holic

Great thread, I am really enjoying this one.

15. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

@swervinbob
    I was looking for, and couldn’t find the video from the tour when Christine McVie and Stevie Nicks were staring daggers at Lindsey Buckingham on stage during a performance of “Go Your Own Way” during the big breakup.

Greggorios likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.