When a site says "we protect your privacy."

archtop_fjk

Tele-Holic
Remember, big tech only collects your data to “enhance your user experience”…

By the way, you should read the “privacy statements” and “terms of use” that online vendors have you agree to. Basically, they can kick you off their platform for pretty much any reason they want.

24 track

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
So, it's kind of like when you see your neighbors old lady changing clothes with the shades not completely pulled down and you tell your buddy about it, and say, but don't tell nobody I told you.
no, its more like when they tke your pic through the window and when you drop your shorts , they put a fig leaf over the image to protect your privacy

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Does that mean they are going to try and dig so deep into your computer they go all the way through the chair you're sitting in and hit the hip bone behind your wallet? If they really wanted to protect your privacy, they would just not pry into your information at all. Why do they even say stuff like that? I think it's kind of like saying I love you on your first date with your little girlfriend alone in your parents car when you were sixteen. I'm not sure there's a lot of sincerity there. How far can a site get into your computer? Can they like pull credit card numbers. Your girlfriend's phone number you have on the side? Do they know about that nightie you bought her? ER, just asking that for a friend, I'm too old for a girlfriend. Do they know how much I hate rap music? (not asking for a friend)
I agree with all of the cynical views expressed here (and more) but I have to say one thing.....
I was a relatively late-comer to the interwebnets, and everyone around me urged me to "get on board". Being the doofus that I am, I failed to grasp the incredible possibilities available to me, and my primary question was, "OK....but what does it cost me?" Everyone exclaimed (in unison) "NOTHING!!!!!!". Really?.....it's FREE?
Of course, we all knew (somewhere deep inside us) that nothing is free.....somewhere, somehow you gotta pay the piper. I think the forms of payment have been somewhat subtle, but more people are now catching on, and it's becoming more blatant. To paraphrase The Snake......"You (should have) knew darn wwwell I wwwas a snake before you took me in.!!!! :):):)
(get the extra www's?)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I agree with all of the cynical views expressed here (and more) but I have to say one thing.....
I was a relatively late-comer to the interwebnets, and everyone around me urged me to "get on board". Being the doofus that I am, I failed to grasp the incredible possibilities available to me, and my primary question was, "OK....but what does it cost me?" Everyone exclaimed (in unison) "NOTHING!!!!!!". Really?.....it's FREE?
Of course, we all knew (somewhere deep inside us) that nothing is free.....somewhere, somehow you gotta pay the piper. I think the forms of payment have been somewhat subtle, but more people are now catching on, and it's becoming more blatant. To paraphrase The Snake......"You (should have) knew darn wwwell I wwwas a snake before you took me in.!!!! :):):)
(get the extra www's?)

So true, there ain't nothing truly free in this world. That old snake is a charmer, and deadly all at the same time.

staxman

Tele-Afflicted
My dear old Dad passed away about ten years ago. He was an anonymous, lower income, Carolina country boy who never touched a computer or cell phone his entire time on this earth. About a year ago, I needed the exact date of his passing, so I did some googling for that with just his name. Once I went down that rabbit hole, I was gobsmacked at the info available about him online. “Privacy” is long gone, folks

Mowgli

Tele-Meister
My dear old Dad passed away about ten years ago. He was an anonymous, lower income, Carolina country boy who never touched a computer or cell phone his entire time on this earth. About a year ago, I needed the exact date of his passing, so I did some googling for that with just his name. Once I went down that rabbit hole, I was gobsmacked at the info available about him online. “Privacy” is long gone, folks

I agree. That's why I agree with Professor Zuboff's commentary near the end of her address. Laws can be passed to both regulate and ban the "legal theft of our personal information and privacy." All it takes is honest politicians who aren't bought off by big tech. I heard bipartisan support for regulations about a decade or so ago. Don't know where it stands at the present!

Cyberi4n

Tele-Holic
I heard bipartisan support for regulations about a decade or so ago. Don't know where it stands at the present!

one look at the censorship by certain platforms of certain events in the last 18 months will tell you all you need to know about that

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
What it usually means is that they won't share your information with any third party. But they will damn sure use it themselves to target you with advertising and take their cut for any links you click to buy something.

we won’t sell your information to any third parties, but um, we’re also using google analytics or amazon web services, so we can’t promise you anything there.

archtop_fjk

Tele-Holic
You can look up the programming guides for website design software and interfaces. Basically, they allow the website to log everything you do - every mouse click, every data field, even where your cursor is during your “visit”. They know your IP address and your machine type, operating system…the list goes on. While you can control your cookies, that doesn’t stop them from collecting as much data as they can from you.

Yes… nothing on the internet is “free”.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I agree. That's why I agree with Professor Zuboff's commentary near the end of her address. Laws can be passed to both regulate and ban the "legal theft of our personal information and privacy." All it takes is honest politicians who aren't bought off by big tech. I heard bipartisan support for regulations about a decade or so ago. Don't know where it stands at the present!
You said, "All it takes is honest politicians who aren't bought off by big tech."......so basically you're meaning, it's simply not possible?

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
(get the extra www's?)

You're spot on and in good company my friend. And most of us continue to climb on board every time we confirm the updated terms of a site or need to utilize some online tool or another. It's like eating processed food; very hard to avoid all of the time.