1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wheelie's 2012 Challange Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Wheelie, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

:oops: Hey have you been playing one of mine? I agree though, after seeing that I no longer like the way I've done it. I wish I would have seen this before doing a headstock access on my 1 piece build. This would have been a really cool feature. Great job, cool guitar

2. newtherapist

newtherapist Tele-Meister

That's really looking gorgeously stylish. Love the body design and the choice of contrasting woods. Kudos to you for a very confident but contained design and meticulous execution.

3. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Thanks Dilbone.

Yep, Ironwood for sure. Interesting Ironwood factoid(o.k. perhaps only mildy interesting) , there is no botanical "Ironwood". It's a name given by the people of a region to the desnest wood that grows there. Ironwoods generally have a density greater than 1 (the density of water) and will sink when placed in water. A friend and I tested it out the other day. The water is murky (the slurry from sharpening with a water stone) but that is a chunk of wood down there.
    2012 CTele 026.jpg

And that's what makes this forum such a great place. The selflessness of the membership is astounding.:lol:

Oops :oops: I'm glad I could help rid the world of one more notch.

Thank you Newtherapist, and the other members who like the design of this build. The mechanics of building come quite easily to me but I have to work hard on aesthetics.

4. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Here are a couple of picks of the finished carve. Iv'e got to fine tune the heel transitions, I stopped them a bit short.
    2012 CTele 011.jpg
    2012 CTele 013.jpg

Today I drilled out the hole for the output jack.
    2012 CTele 001.jpg

Then I used one of these way cool self centering pilot bits.
    2012 CTele 002.jpg

To get this attached.
    2012 CTele 003.jpg

5. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Then I routed the control cavity.
    2012 CTele 004.jpg

Hey, you're not supposed to be able to see through there.
    2012 CTele 005.jpg

Here is some of that meticulous execution newtherapist was telling you guys about.
    2012 CTele 017.jpg

Slight miscalculation there. I should have 3/16" wall thichness alll the way around the cavity. I used T. Downs blueprint to make the part and never checked my routing template to the drawing. The template cavity is 1/8" wider and 1/16" further from center than Mr. Downs plans. The template will pay dearly for its insolance.

6. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Yes, I know this word mEtiKulUs.

7. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

A good friend of mine teaches guitar building and just last week a student asked him if he makes mistakes. His reply was that he could not recall a guitar that didn't need some sort of repair during the building process. So all you first timers out there remember to keep your cool and just fix it. Chances are unless you point it out to someone or post pictures on a world wide forum, no one will ever know the difference.

Attached Files:

8. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

2012 CTele 022.jpg
    2012 CTele 023.jpg

Now that wasn't so bad was it?

9. Ryden

Ryden Tele-Meister

Nice save!

10. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Very cool build.

11. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

That's just such a cool design, Wheelie. I know you said earlier that you have to work on aesthetics, but it seems that the work you put in is worth it. It's looking great!

12. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

I love a design/build that keeps me pleasantly confused for a time :). Your going to like the trap neck BTW (got to play my first one last summer). Good work and wood selection ;)

Dave

13. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Thanks Ryden. Here's the rest of the repair. I leveled the pieces, trued up the transitions, applied some thin CA glue to help stave off any further mishap and then routed.

Attached Files:

14. nialldabass

nialldabass Tele-Meister

Nice save and just an awesome build

15. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

J, Your signature line cracks me up every time.

Thanks Roger.

Hi Dave,
    I think your right about the neck shape, it felt wierd at first but I'm getting used to picking it up. A friend stopped by the shop today with a co-worker of his who is a player. I handed the co-worker the guitar and asked what he thought of the neck. He played around a bit then his eyes lit up. "This is so cool" he says, "there is so much access for such a fat neck. I haven't been able to play this riff for eight years." He holds up his fretting hand and his middel finger is a half inch short from a table saw incident. "I've got to get me on of these."

Here's a pic that shows the shape pretty well. After I finished fine tuning the heel transitions I sanded the sides and left the dust on to make them show up better.

Attached Files:

16. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

I got around to routing and driling for the bridge. I stopped at 1/2" deep on the pickup rout I'll have to complete that up after the finish goes on.

Attached Files:

17. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

What a cool design and build , like Dave I was pleasantly confused but I get it now and I like it.

18. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Thanks Herb,

I'm coming up to the hard part of the build. I will be using Cat Urethane for the finish and it's been giving me fits. I'll be tryin a new gun soon as the manufacturer thinks that may be the root of my dispair. You wouldn't want to send your Fuji my way, would you?

Steve

19. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Now you tell me! :D

I love the modern look of your build. Nice fix on the control cavity.

20. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Hi Nosmo, Thank you very much.
    Hopefully that's the only major mishap on this one.

Since everyone is putting thier builds on a scale I thought I'd weigh in on the subject. 7 lbs. 4 ozs. That Ipe is heavy.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.