1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Wheelie's 2012 Challange Build Thread -- COMPLETED

Discussion in '2012 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by Wheelie, Mar 14, 2012.

1. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

Whichever way you go, it's one wicked cool design for sure

2. ugly_guitar_guy

ugly_guitar_guy Tele-Meister

Wow, I'm really intrigued by this one. Incredibly unique for sure, and I'm loving the layers. Subcribed!

3. Matt Haskins

Matt Haskins Tele-Meister

I would not go with maple for the fretboard. There are a lot of moving lines in this design--which make the guitar both original and awesome by the way. I think the throughline of the dark wood going down the length of the guitar creates a sense visual stability for the design. Bifurcating this line will start to risk making the guitar look too disjointed. I think the contrast of the strong solid dark center against the more delicate, lightly layered body is fantastic.

4. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Thanks everyone, I really appriciate your input and encouragement. I think I'll be keeping the Ipe fretboard, and not just because Matt used such a cool word, he does make a good point though.

So today I started some of the fine tuning of parts. The top surface of the neck extension had to be milled down to set the geometry for the Tele bridge and the end needed trimming to follow the line of the forearm bevel.

Attached Files:

5. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

This is a REALLY cool build Wheelie!

Barncaster

6. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Then I had to thin down the other two pieces of the neck extension to reasonably close to body thickness. I really should consider a photography class in the future, but you get the idea. A couple of thousanths to give the scraper something to do.
    2012 CTele 011.jpg
    2012 CTele 010.jpg

7. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Thamks Barn.

8. Tremolux

Tremolux Tele-Meister

Very impressed with Wheelie's ideas and progress. I've seen and played a number of his builds.

And to think, I've asked Wheelie to come to the house later this week to set me up with some replacement interior doors. Seriously.

Kinda like asking Micheal Jordan over to pump up the basketball. Sheeesh.....

AC
    Chicago

9. anyone

anyone Tele-Holic

Sorry I'm late, but, yes, stick with the ipe! Maple just won't look right.

I was gonna joke about naming this one 'Magnum' (for the thickness of the fretboard), but given the sophistication of the design, I think 'Magnus' is more in order.

I'm having a major Nigel moment with this one.... "No! Don't even look at it!"

It's too beautiful.

10. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Hey AC
    Just think how perfectly pressurized that basketball would be. See you Saturday.

I apologize for making the decision before you could respond. I realize now how rude that was since I specifically asked for your input.:lol:

Well today between all the running around I got a few things done.

Glued the back layer together and scraped it flush. Note the corners are slightly rounded on this knife blade. Just takes a few swipes on with some 100 grit to knock them back and now they can't gouge the wood.

Attached Files:

11. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Then I routed a channel and drilled some holes for the wiring in the middle layer.
    2012 CTele 004.jpg
    2012 CTele 005.jpg
    2012 CTele 008.jpg

Almost drilled through the face on the one hole. That spot from 1 7/8" to 2 3/16" is where the bit pushed the surface up about 1/32". Fortunately the cavity wall starts at 1 3/4" Slow down Wheelie!!
    2012 CTele 006.jpg

Then I glued the center layer together using the bottom layer for alignment. The layers will remain seperate for a while yet.

Attached Files:

12. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Then some fine tuning here and there. Trimmed some things back, rounded some corners and trimmed the fretboard to size.
    2012 CTele 010.jpg
    2012 CTele 011.jpg
    2012 CTele 013.jpg
    2012 CTele 015.jpg
    I finally placed an order with our friends at Stew Mac. I was vacillating on the use of a truss rod, after all this Ipe is some strong a.. wood. I do lean toward the less trussrod, the more wood is better camp. My standard MO with a Fender style neck is the single curved rod and machine a bit of relief into the fretboard. This being the first time using Ipe for a neck, I thought it would be prudent to use a two way rod.

13. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Ipe is wierd stuff

Kind of hard to photograph with my limited skills in that area, but when you machine Ipe you get this strange yellow powder. It coats all your cutting tools and has given my fingernails a faint orange cast. The yellow seems to be in the pores of the wood and washes out with solvent. Needless to say I use a good dust mask with p100 filters when I'm working with it.

Attached Files:

14. Muzikp

Muzikp Friend of Leo's

This build is awesome, sometimes it's so awesome I can't even understand what you are doing until I study, read, study and read. Thanks for the great thread, I like it.

15. Ryden

Ryden Tele-Meister

This is simply awesome!

16. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire

This is definitely a cool concept. I'm diggin' it

17. Tremolux

Tremolux Tele-Meister

From Wheelie:

"Hey AC
    Just think how perfectly pressurized that basketball would be. See you Saturday."

Yeah, but knowing you, I'd probably get the basketball back perfectly covered in Spalted Tamarind, with a logo inlaid in Quilted Sapele....

AC
    Chicago

18. Warnz

Warnz Tele-Meister

This is a superb build and a great read. Inspirational.

Keep up the the good work.:)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  19. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Thanks guy's, your support is greatly appriciated. My wife can only feign intrest in guitars for so long.

James, I thought I was the only one. I think I finally have it all sorted now.

"Yeah, but knowing you, I'd probably get the basketball back perfectly covered in Spalted Tamarind, with a logo inlaid in Quilted Sapele....

AC"

Someone's been going through my wood stash again.

20. Wheelie

Wheelie Tele-Meister

Stew Mac is Awesome

Props to one of my favorite suppliers. Placed an order monday at 10:30 a.m. and it was on my doorstep when I got home tonight.

So what did I get done today?

Dots. Decided on some maple side dots. I started with some 1/8" square sticks of maple a drill and a drill index.
    2012 CTele 001.jpg

Put the stick in the drill and sand the end to a point.
    2012 CTele 002.jpg
    2012 CTele 004.jpg

Run the stick in the drill index holes until you get a dowel of the required size.
    2012 CTele 003.jpg
    Start with more sticks than you need because they will break.
    2012 CTele 006.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.