What's your usual play-at-home-tone?

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Well, I take it that not all of us can rig up a full stack in out living room and crank it up to 11. (At least not without the council estate coming in with a formal complaint.)

So when you have some time on your hands and you want to go picking some tunes, what kind of tone do you usually dail in?

For me personally, I go back to a tone I loved since I was a kid. The guitar tone of THIS song.

At the moment of typing this down, I have my "Charlin" (Charvel model 3 with a Marlin neck) SSH floyd Equipped superstrat, plugged into my Line 6 Spider 2 head into a 1X12 cab, which nails that tone.
charlin-jpg.921651

That's my "Play at home" tone. That eighties "Bad Quack" which can sound so menancholic.

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
Honestly not much of a radiohead fan anymore but the edge of breakup tone from this record is pretty much home base for me regardless of whether I’m home or out:

I think it’s tele or starcaster into ac30, but you can pretty much get that sound out of a tweed deluxe too.

Last edited:

ReverendRevolver

Friend of Leo's
I have different tones because I typically use 3 different amps depending on my general level of ambition to unpack things.

If I'm wanting to just play and not jump rope with cables, it's tele or mustang into 5e5 in the dining room. Volumes between the channels vary depending on if I'm running ABY box.
If I want crunchy, I walk tele down to basement and run Frenzel.
If I want to use pedals, I set up Supro with board in living room.

Willie Johnson

Friend of Leo's
Well, I take it that not all of us can rig up a full stack in out living room and crank it up to 11. (At least not without the council estate coming in with a formal complaint.)

So when you have some time on your hands and you want to go picking some tunes, what kind of tone do you usually dail in?

For me personally, I go back to a tone I loved since I was a kid. The guitar tone of THIS song.

At the moment of typing this down, I have my "Charlin" (Charvel model 3 with a Marlin neck) SSH floyd Equipped superstrat, plugged into my Line 6 Spider 2 head into a 1X12 cab, which nails that tone.
charlin-jpg.921651

That's my "Play at home" tone. That eighties "Bad Quack" which can sound so menancholic.

That guitar is frikkin' cool. I don't have use for the trem myself, but it looks right at home on there.

Beachbum

Poster Extraordinaire
Guild D140CE/Fishman Rare Earth through a Marshall AS50D.

-L_dnZK-3mxD597diRcKYee6i7_TWnuSqXmvucC4zHGaj9XTGgPO5AzCC_bty_IfL8XNCkYrMieTlJijrkc_gHDN6q46Ri8vywaWIJYCpQT6cqOPB49DKlfaPwP7BsNr4TeoTyCMAzZdOLBXiur3rcBCgVfUfycR9vrFKjE3hXsr1brWehd1ZmLCxtoTUMko-N4MsiEZp3H8OLlepQj3mv5pM-Kqoao58_arEX2bqp2XgCQf8fDexOb80OnY6wjTAMcfpL2R593pYoTv8If3mPbtcTwq971LWA4jdw1MiUEUAgVEGgXSkEtLRwceyh8QI5N_fORSa-wfo6V_bqqSTJpB0OcYa44iK7yZciSLL0YCbHntgl5JxsNROwy5MGAtS7afx87OigiU19mVL6W2nkV_7Q_HUSDV4pyVgIsI5XqPzbeE9Q32Gmol0pfCRFkHmlQrj09wgDrCJP34eusqYRCOOr1NDLAbuV-P4dkw0jRyAh6CAC0B9hbhaUJ7YUdOn_kX7ZuNt6sIXqIxuAGAiKRqs6MaGthW2TGfbuhRh152mkdmnIySAfmrz0M-9ktcpfFylM5qEHZ_-KOTmCPdrxRD43f-5jPuerkeB65zaE_v28MpB5TW3ipk8oiwlfZy_b8W7Puu1EV-aI_gpZAQPg7BV0Fwc5DCWWEvEZgspAtwMN6bvjyfFo25YxF3FQC_Xczij_P2ZG9mOlfGe05cZbCp=w668-h891-no

Last edited:

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I built a Tele with a P90 in the neck, a Bill Lawrence L290-TL noise free pickup in the bridge, and a 4-way switch. In the second switch position, where the pickups are parallel, something magical happens. Hard to describe, but the grit of the P90 joins with the smoothness of the 290, and the sustain feels enhanced. It's my favorite guitar, favorite tone, especially when a bit of delay and reverb goes into the signal.

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Edge, mostly. I use the clean channel of my Champ thing with a tube preamp pedal because I can dial it in with inside voice. Then I'll use an OD or Fuzz sparingly. Even though I LOVE dirt pedals I play cleaner than some.

rickthescot

Tele-Afflicted
Depends on my mood but sometimes, I plug into the 6505+ and just wail away. I'm rural so no issues with neighbors.

KelvinS1965

Tele-Afflicted
If I have the house to myself, then it's the Marshall Mini Jubilee in the living room, through a (concealed) 2x12 cab, or maybe my '64 Custom Deluxe reverb in the sunroom. If not then I might resort to playing on headphones through my recording rig, using a guitar sim on my Tascam recorder.
If it's late at night, I sometimes just grab whatever guitar I've got on rotation in the living room and play it acoustically.

All the options inspire in some way, or just help me to work things out or practice something I'm working on for the next band rehearsal/gig.

middy

Friend of Leo's
Almost always bridge pickup and amp on edge of breakup or mild overdrive.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
This is my setup although pedals get swapped out frequently. I can play through the amps if I won't be disturbing my wife watching Really Drunk Housewives of Wherever. If I'm going to record or need a reduced volume, I can use the Bugera to go into the IR Cab and then into the mixer. From the mixer, I can go to the PC for recording, the amp and speakers or headphones.

20210330_082214.jpg