What's your take on Danelectro guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Unseen, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

Nice!
    Here's my lefty version. I went with alder and a mahogany top. It's fully hollow with a center block like the original design. The neck is a NOS lefty U-2 neck from the 90's.
    [​IMG]

2. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

You aren't buying a Danelectro to compare it to something from Rondo. The 'cheapness' of the Danelectro's design is what helps create it's tone.

If you don't like how they look,feel, and sound then don't buy one. People have listed all the reasons they like to use them and enjoy them, and you clearly have no interest in what they are saying.

If you want a guitar from Rondo, buy a guitar from Rondo. They don't offer anything that looks or sounds like a Dano though, so it's not really a valid comparison and I am not sure why you are making it. Other than the fact that you dislike Danelectro guitars enough to post 2 threads about it.

3. user name

user name Tele-Meister

1. Don't mess with Link Wray.

2. Danelectro are cool cheap guitars.

4. sixstringbastard

sixstringbastard Friend of Leo's

A danelectro is like a VW Bug. Is it the fastest? Is it the cheapest? Is it the most economical? Is it the smartest choice? Who knows...... But it is pretty darn cool.

5. samato

samato Tele-Afflicted

That is the correct summary for this thread.

6. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Excellent point, Mr. Bones.

The thought occurs to me, tdu, that despite their enduring popularity, no other "cheap guitar" companies like SX etc. have made clones of Danos. Your choices are Jerry Jones, or the re-issues. You'd think if they were so "cheaply made" more companies would be having a go at it.

What he said. Except you can leave out "cheap".

One good thing about this thread is that it got me thinking about my Danos, and I put away my newer toys and immersed myself in Dano-world for the past few days. Mmmmm, good!

7. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

Ya, that expands on the point I was trying to make. The only other option out there you can compare Danos to are the Jerry Jones which cost WAY more. It's not like comparing a Squier Tele to an SX STL or something. There are no other 'budget Danoelectros' to compare to.

8. bacala777

bacala777 NEW MEMBER!

9. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

A Dano Pro sounds like a tele is supposed to sound.

[​IMG]

10. ozmusicrocks

ozmusicrocks TDPRI Member

I have a 1962 Silvertone that I bought a few weeks ago. The tone is beautiful on it. It's nice and heavy for a Silvertone/Dano, too. Some of them are a bit toyish, but if you can find a good one then MAN are they good guitars. It's one of the best things I've played.

11. Lazloryder

Lazloryder Tele-Meister

Danos are super cool, and super jangly, but that darn slotted bridge to hold the strings is a pain in the butt

12. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

Danelectros are a sound that will suit some and not others.

Comparing them to Rondos is missing the point IMO.

They are very light, rather flimsy, and very idiosyncratic.

I own a Korean U2, which I picked up very cheap. And it had lived in a shed for a while, so it looks like a vintage one!!!

It has its limitations, yet it also has uses that other guitars dont deliver as well.

It has two pickups that on their own sound feeble, but combined sound glorious.

It is a great unplugged sofa noodling guitar, and has been a travel guitar for me on a few occasions.

A Danelectro is a useful guitar to have in a collection IMO

[​IMG]

13. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

For the price and how they are built to be cheap, they still have an unbelievable sound and they are in their own category. Many players, like Jimmy Page, find something unique in this guitar and they have consistently put a great vibe on them.

14. slotrod65

slotrod65 Tele-Meister

Saying that a Dano is cheap because it is light is like saying an ES335 is cheap because it is hollow. They are made from a light wood frame faced with masonite, as were the original Danelectros made in the 60's. The lipstick pickups are simply the greatest sounding, cheap-a$$ pickup ever designed.

I own 5 vintage Danelectros, and one reissue. The reissues if anything feel a bit heavier than the 60's produced guitars. This is likely due to the thicker, modern finish. The one failing I see of the reissues, is that they are not shielded like the orignals were.

15. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

I have a U2 Aqua burst and a U3 Silver Sparkle. They are really good for "Zombie Thread" music.

16. 63dot

63dot Friend of Leo's

Danos are amazing. When I said cheap I meant inexpensive. :)

I don't think any other company can hit their price point with quality and sound. There's a reason so many professionals have used Danos for decades.

I had a similar guitar, Sears Silvertone Stratotone (made by Harmony and Dano, but mine being a Harmony) and that thing was a great guitar. Though this one didn't have a truss rod, it had a thick enough neck that though 35 years old, the action was excellent.

17. Spunky99

Spunky99 Tele-Meister

It's time to revive this old post. 2019, almost 13 years later, Danelectro finally got the secret sauce right.
    The original Dano's are collectors items and the last reissues were not well received. I bought one and promptly sold it. Poor fretwork, sloppy glue and too many changes from the original 1960's models and made in sketchy factories with lack of QA made them feel cheap. The MIK ones were marginally better than the MIC reissues.

Now it's 2019 and Danelectro has released a Stock 59 reissue and several other models from a different Korean factory.
    The Stock 59 is an exact replica of the original except with the truss rod access at the headstock with a cover for easier access and the headstock is not color matched to the body. Otherwise it is a dead ringer including the zero angle headstock brought back for the first time and it makes a huge difference in feel and sound. The neck is a thin C and feels wonderful. The frets are perfect and the ends are not cutting me after a week in 11% humidity. It has a banjo like quality with the hollow body, metal nut and lipstick pickups. It rings out and cuts through the mix. I was concerned about the Pau Ferro bridge not having fine intonation but it sounds perfect when playing and that is where this guitar shines. The 59M NOS has a 6 saddle modern bridge if you prefer. It has a naturally nasal tone that fits into blues like a glove. It has great sustain which surprised me. Fit and finish was perfect with zero flaws anywhere. The guitar looks like a much more expensive instrument due to the quality of the workmanship. The pickups are exactly what a Danelectro should sound like and the 3 position toggle allows a huge range of tone. Middle position gets a nice spanky kinda quacky vibe. It's light weight and because it's hollow, it's louder than a solid body even without any sound holes. I've been using it to noodle around with hour after hour and the neck is such a pleasure to play. It came with 10's but I dropped it to 9's for bending the 25" scale and didn't hear any loss of tone. I like the 14" radius as that is what is on my 3 Chapman guitars. I checked for dead frets or dead spots and couldn't find any. I lowered the strings and while I lost some of the bow going to .009's, there is still zero buzz anywhere on the entire fretboard. It's a very comfortable guitar to play. While the body is not as comfortable as a Strat, it's not as bad as a Tele.

It seems that Dano's have finally come of age and the new models appear to be a huge step up in quality. My Stock 59 doesn't look, feel or play like a cheap guitar at all and it only cost $329.00. I also modded a Gator LP case and it fits perfectly so my Dano won't get gig bag damage.

What I don't know is what the fretboard wood species is but it looks like the Pau Ferro bridge block. The nut is metal but is it Aluminum or steel or? I don't know the body frame wood species or if it is plywood? I don't know the center block wood species type either? Unknown if there is any shielding as I haven't taken it apart yet but it is as quiet as any other guitar I have.

The tuners are on the cheaper side but they appear to be holding tune. I've had 3 sets of strings on it in the last week so it's hard to determine but no obvious faults. Tuning radius is a bit fast for me but they are a lot better than a bullet Squire. I don't want to mod it unless I have to. I love the "Seal" pickguard.

[​IMG]

18. esseff

esseff Tele-Holic

I don't like the way they look, especially the Coke bottle headstock, but have never played one so I can't offer a valid opinion. They were good enough for Jimmy Page so I guess that says a lot for them.

19. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have one of those late 90s single pickup models and the nut is certainly not 1 11/16", it's more like 1 5/8". The neck is also satin finished, although I know the 2 pickup models had a neck finish matching the body. Neck is also extremely thin back to front.

I only briefly played a Silvertone amp-in-case model, but I somewhat remember the neck being thicker.

I'm sure I remember the neck being thicker on one of the Chinese reissues.

The current guitars are made in Korea. They are somewhat more expensive than the ones in the 60s on the scale of the whole guitar market. are more mid-priced. Never played a current one. They weren't around when the post I'm quoting was posted.

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I liked, and owned several, years ago.
    The ones I owned were a couple of Silvertone amp-in-case moeels and a single cutaway, one pickup model.
    They all had great, straight necks and sounded good.
    They sounded best played clean, and at lower volumes, IMO.
    If I found another for the right price, I might score it.
    I don’t need one, but it would be fun.
    When I was a kid in the mid/late 60s, lots of my friends and schoolmates had the amp-in-case model.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.