What's your opinion on the American Special Telecaster? A legit USA Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by matarroano, Jun 2, 2017.

1. flatcat

flatcat Tele-Meister

My favorite American

2. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

I have an Am Standard. The control electronics say "assembled in Mexico".

3. eddy b.

eddy b. TDPRI Member

I have an American Special Tele and I say it's effing awesome!!!!

farmcaster likes this.
  4. scegla

scegla TDPRI Member

Love, love, love my American Special. For me the fret wire has never made a difference, then again, I move between many makers, scale lengths, and such. For whatever reason it never bothers me... Teles, Jazzmaster, Stratocaster, Les Paul, 335, Gretsch, Taylor, Martin... Play!!!!

5. WelshBluesMan

WelshBluesMan Tele-Meister

I have one (on the right of my profile pic) and a MIM Standard (on the left)...

I find they actually play fairly similar. After playing the MIM Standard solidly for 10 years I was a bit worried about how I'd get on with the frets of the USA Special, but the difference isn't as big as I'd expected. Within an hour of strapping it on, I felt right at home with it. Took a little while to get used to having a vintage style ashtray bridge assembly (I kept catching it with my pick for a few days), but it's really no big deal.

The American Special is a fair bit lighter than the MIM Standard, which is nice... A couple of minor issues I've had is a bit of ringing behind the nut on the open G string, and three of the ferrules are loose, nothing a blob of wood glue won't fix, but a bit annoying.

6. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

+1

TLR_ and jannodude like this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think the bulk of the Peanut Gallery here, would like to see an image of what you have found.

I'm not saying you're wrong; I'm just saying, people won't be convinced without images. I know that my Highway Ones use the precise same tuning machines as a MIM Standard, but in fact none of those machines were made in the Americas. I have seen evidence that CTS makes all these pots, but the difference sometimes between one CTS pot and another is the extent to which is is precise in terms of plus or minus - how close to 250K is the thing tested to? How carefully are the pots inspected as to flaws? I had a stock single wafer 5 way on a MIM Deluxe Nashville and the wafer was broken (part, did not effect function that I could tell). I bet if the batch that went into USA builds had some bad wafers, they might go back.

8. larsongs

larsongs TDPRI Member

Bought one recently.. Hate the one color or nothing for Maple Neck... Unless you get a FSR from some Sellers who I'd rather not do business with.. It's surprisingly heavy. Like an anchor. Pickups are great. But I'm not a Dan of the Frets... I returned it. To bad about the weight, the Frets & no color choices.....

9. larsongs

larsongs TDPRI Member

10. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

Hello boris, I am not going to pull the controls to take a picture. Under the pick guard is "body as Tele 2012 RH sld msb ald dry" and the initials "JC". Another interesting point is my instructions were in Spanish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.