What's your opinion on sparkly Telecasters?

bcorig

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Lost in the 909 trying to find my way home
I hate the look of a solid flat finish on a standard Tele, especially that empty space between the bridge and the strap button- reminds me too much of flipping through the Musicians Friend catalogue and seeing the cheap Affinity Squiers all in a row. Need something to make it look interesting- Bigsby, sunburst, relicing, stickers, or sparkly finish. Strangely, binding also fixes the aesthetic for me.

With all that said, I always drool over the Brad Paisley Tele at my local store and the purple sparkle J Mascis Jazzmaster.
I agree with binding but whenever I see a Bigsby on anything smaller than an ES 335, it seems like it overwhelms the guitar.
Instead of “guitar with a Bigsby installed” it’s more like “Bigsby with a guitar installed”.

Whitebeard

Tele-Meister
I'd have to count myself in the Tele traditionalist crowd. However lately I've found myself browsing metal flake finished bodies with arm and tummy contours. I guess I've got a bunch of Teles and I'm looking to do something different with one of them.

Anyway, metal flake finishes - yea or nay? What comes to mind? Too country? Too flashy? Cool?
IMO, perfect for some situations. A Buck Owens & The Buckaroos tribute band and Cheech & Chong - Low Rider - Bing video

GuitarRod

TDPRI Member
20211112_124029_(1).jpg
the Telecasters of Buck Owens and Don Rich were influential in my Esquired Tele's second pickguard makeover to totally outdo the first one i filled and painted so this was IT!

The bronze sparkle cardstock was the only color to go with the natural wood perfectly. Then i topped it off with a Lexan .093" plate i hand-cut carefully for a week and i added a neck pickup silhouette from a scrap piece of cardstock. By this time it was a month before the pandemic hit hard and this was one of the most perfect projects at that time... still loving it!

Jackson753

Tele-Meister
In the world of Telecasters there's room for every finish. I like the sparkle finishes and the metal flake finishes. The ones that really caught my eye are the G&L models. They look splendid!

tsneff

TDPRI Member
I'd have to count myself in the Tele traditionalist crowd. However lately I've found myself browsing metal flake finished bodies with arm and tummy contours. I guess I've got a bunch of Teles and I'm looking to do something different with one of them.

Anyway, metal flake finishes - yea or nay? What comes to mind? Too country? Too flashy? Cool?

Attachments

• DB2500C2-6CB5-4AD0-A846-AB5039FA3162.jpeg
    DB2500C2-6CB5-4AD0-A846-AB5039FA3162.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 25

1Mudman

TDPRI Member
I love them! I have a Silver Flake and a Gold Flake along with other guitars in different finishes. I play what ever color kind of fits my music Im playing. Breaks up the boredom of doing the same thing over and over!

Karlx

TDPRI Member

Do Fender necks fit on those? I thought about picking this one up in GC. It was only $209. I just wouldn't want another 9.5" medium jumbo pau/rosewood tele. I would want to put the 12" jumbo fret roasted maple that they sell on fender.com. I like the basswood body on this. It's very light.

I like both flashy Teles and subtle classy designs. So I'm open to a sparkle tele in my collection. A Bigsby is a hard clash of Gretschy guitars and Fender's mid century modern car culture thing. Doesn't mix well, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have any appeal. For example I would be down for an aztec gold body and an all rosewood neck and a mirror or metal pickguard. Can't say that's 'tasteful' but I would just like it.

Marblatx

Tele-Meister
I like them OK in Green, blue, or the more traditional silver or gold. I hate the red ones but then again I hate anything red.

Mark1406

TDPRI Member

If you are going to be onstage then you want to be noticed. A sparkling finish will do that.

Mark