What's your opinion on sparkly Telecasters?

8bit

TDPRI Member
rkaEoi4.jpg
20210803_204628.jpg

oregomike

Tele-Holic
I'd have to count myself in the Tele traditionalist crowd. However lately I've found myself browsing metal flake finished bodies with arm and tummy contours. I guess I've got a bunch of Teles and I'm looking to do something different with one of them.

Anyway, metal flake finishes - yea or nay? What comes to mind? Too country? Too flashy? Cool?

I've been drooling over the "Coke Bottle Green" flake that is on Puisheen's Jaguar. Would look awesome on anything IMO.

cokebottlegreen.jpg

OKBill

NEW MEMBER!
I'd have to count myself in the Tele traditionalist crowd. However lately I've found myself browsing metal flake finished bodies with arm and tummy contours. I guess I've got a bunch of Teles and I'm looking to do something different with one of them.

Anyway, metal flake finishes - yea or nay? What comes to mind? Too country? Too flashy? Cool?

I wouldn’t dream of playing the solo at 1:02 without the proper sparkles.

8bit

TDPRI Member
The J Mascis tele has really been tempting me, even though I don't need another tele. I'd put a white guard on it.
Can't recommend it highly enough. Honestly when I ordered mine I thought the first thing I'd do would be swap the pickguard out. But I've had this thing since July and haven't touched it. I really thought I'd hate the mirrored guard but gotta say it really works in person IMO.

buzzword

TDPRI Member
I don't like the large flake stuff, but love the small flake finishes you don't really see until you're up close, like the ones on the new Ultra's.

qblue

Tele-Afflicted
I like wood grain, especially ash and translucent colors.

Sparkly finishes makes the guitar look thick and ungainly. I would lose interest in that look pretty quick. Also it makes the guitar look cheap and wearing it would just look overtly stupid.

musicmand

TDPRI Member
I hate the look of a solid flat finish on a standard Tele, especially that empty space between the bridge and the strap button- reminds me too much of flipping through the Musicians Friend catalogue and seeing the cheap Affinity Squiers all in a row. Need something to make it look interesting- Bigsby, sunburst, relicing, stickers, or sparkly finish. Strangely, binding also fixes the aesthetic for me.

With all that said, I always drool over the Brad Paisley Tele at my local store and the purple sparkle J Mascis Jazzmaster.

Buckocaster51

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ad Free Member
I hate the look of a solid flat finish on a standard Tele, especially that empty space between the bridge and the strap button- reminds me too much of flipping through the Musicians Friend catalogue and seeing the cheap Affinity Squiers all in a row. Need something to make it look interesting- Bigsby, sunburst, relicing, stickers, or sparkly finish. Strangely, binding also fixes the aesthetic for me.

With all that said, I always drool over the Brad Paisley Tele at my local store and the purple sparkle J Mascis Jazzmaster.

I have a purple sparkle J Mascis Jazzmaster. It is my distinct impression that it started out life silver and then had translucent purple sprayed on top. Nice guitar. You need it. ;)

doblander

Tele-Meister

Refinishing guitars is my hobby. Rustoleun rattlecan. These days I'm crazy bout glitter!! I have a bunch of guitars and of course they all look the same as all the guitars we see pictured in all the ads or all the forums. Never any change from one decade to the next. But glitter can be exaggerated or subtle as behooves me at the time of spraying. It's not difficult to do and it sure as H sets that guitar apart from the blah. I would not care to turn them ALL into glitter but, I do have plans for a gold, a black, a blue and we'll see what else. In glitter! Count me in.

KATT

Tele-Holic
Platinum Supporter
Although I wouldn't choose a Tele based solely on a appearance, (the best Tele I ever owned was an ugly orphan) I do like the large flake sparklers. Great stage guitars.

Same here. It's nice to have a guitar in ones preferred finish, but completely unnecessary for the purposes of playing music. I do love the look of metal flake guitars, but wouldn't go out of my way to buy one if there was a better guitar available for similar money.

harleytech

Tele-Meister
You say that like it's a bad thing.

I am absolutely here for a Bowling Ball Tele with a Mother-Of-Toilet-Seat pickguard and a gut cut.
Free country last I looked and I think they look like bowling balls... If you want one then get one... what I think shouldn't matter, Pal...