what's your micro-mini monitoring solution?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by Jupiter, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Played a thing the other day with a nicely minimalist set-up:

2 acoustic-electric guitars and conga/cajon. Two acoustic amps: a little Fishman and a little Fender.

Each of those amps has instrument and vocal inputs, so we each had our vocal mic into our amp, and the percussion wasn't mic'ed at all.

It was plenty of volume for the venue, band make-up, and type of music.

The only thing is that it was hard for us to fix our balance and eq. I don't think it was bad, but what with sitting close to our amps so we could twiddle knobs as necessary, and sitting behind them so the guitars and mics didn't feed back, I was wishing I could hear what it sounded like to the folks in front.

Anybody have any super-lightweight, super-mobile, super-cheap solutions for band monitoring in a situation without a FOH PA?

2. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

I think that is a smart way to go for the singer/songwriter, acoustic gigs. The trick IMO is to get the acoustic amp up off the ground so that it actually gets the sound out in the room and doesn't just shoot the sound at people's ankles.

3. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

We use one powered (200 watt) speaker. Not sure of the exact size/weight, but I can carry it easily in one hand. I place it on a pole behind the band, so basically it is also the monitor. We are not cranking the volume, so feedback is not a problem.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

We do the same thing for Farmers Market type gigs. We use a Soundcraft u8 mixer that you run with an iPad. It has anti-feedback software so once we carefully place it to eliminate as much as we can, we can kick in the anti-feedback filters and totally wipe it out. We're running vocals, acoustic guitar and sometimes Dobro-bass through the speaker.

RiverDog likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I do it but mini amp behind me. Tilted a bit or now I use a mini amp stand that puts it just a few inches off the floor and tilts. You should be able to control the feedback fine. Maybe get a volume pedal for the guitar if it's an issue.

6. pedro58

pedro58 TDPRI Member

Not cheap, but I use a QSC CP8 for everything involving monitoring. In a small, low-volume gig, I've put it on a pole behind me and used it as both my monitor and PA. It's a really versatile, light, LOUD solution.

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

8. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

9. telel6s

telel6s Tele-Afflicted

I got a 40-watt battery powered Behringer PA speaker for playing farmers markets. But I've also used it as monitor. It wouldn't compete with a full electric band, but has surprising volume and worked great as a monitor in a big warehouse brewery where the main speakers were each two feet in front and five feet to the side of my trio. The shape of the speaker won't sit on it's own at a monitor-like angle but I just used a short chair to lean it in.

It has two separate inputs with their own volume, as well as master bass & treble, so if each of your acoustic amps have a line out, you could run them to the speaker and still tweak the level that you hear on stage.

Of course if you don't need the battery power, you can get the same thing cheaper that runs on AC only. (Although, now that I have the battery powered unit, I love it and don't need to bother with a long power cable to the speaker.)

https://www.behringer.com/Categorie...tems/Compact/MPA40BT/p/P0AVS#googtrans(en|en)

Jupiter likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.